Is UPS terminating its union contract at the end of the year?

Two tier wage scale ? That would be a nightmare in the sense that us at top rate would be harrassed and targeted because of this scale ... imagine a cheaper and younger alternative..
I have been dealing with a two tier wage scale for nearly 35 years. Plus the effects of a cheaper Art 22.3 wage scale.

Lead is right... The one thing the can do, is close ground and get all of the management to cash out their stock and get them and the out side investors to invest on the air only... Then they can call them selfs an air liner and make sure their employees won't union up based on the rail act. Company says it all the time when a strike is brought up... Don't k ow if the management would go down that road but it could happen.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Lead is right... The one thing the can do, is close ground and get all of the management to cash out their stock and get them and the out side investors to invest on the air only... Then they can call them selfs an air liner and make sure their employees won't union up based on the rail act. Company says it all the time when a strike is brought up... Don't k ow if the management would go down that road but it could happen.
Where did this theory come from???:confused2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Companies can not decertify the members can. It can not be done anytime. There is a certain time the petition has to take place.
This turns out to be the case.
It must be done prior to the expiration of the present contract, triggered by a petition of better than 30% of the bargaining unit.
This will then trigger an election to decide the fate of the union.
A Company with a national Contract has to have the whole country decertify at the same time by the employees.
I find nothing, with the aid of a Google search, to support or refute this assertion.

This came from some BAs and some homework on line... It's not that hard to see... This happens to company's that see a lot of strikes.... They close shop and regroup in smaller numbers...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Two tier wage scale ? That would be a nightmare in the sense that us at top rate would be harrassed and targeted because of this scale ... imagine a cheaper and younger alternative..

They already have this.

Get rid of a top rate driver and replace him with a young driver in a 4 year progression. They save a ton for those 4 years.

Cheaper and younger.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
yes, Corporate issued Order 4-2-0 last night

we've begun burning all the grievances still pending and have implemented plans for a 7-day 12 hour workweek, pending approval from the new and improved Trump DoL

the pension cancellation (and forced repayment from past pensions) will be announced at noon

Gimme Danger

Yes, the membership of any Local can decertify at any time, but would be considered "at will" employees for a full year before they could be organized, or enter into a collective bargaining agreement, with another union.

I hear rumblings of it from time to time here, but do all I can to dissuade any notions of it.

Decertification by employees can only happen during specific time frames nearing the expiration of the contract.

A Company with a national Contract has to have the whole country decertify at the same time by the employees. The Company has no say in the decertification. That is one of the reasons it has been impossible to organize Fedex. They are under the Railway Act and has to be organized all at one time instead of location by location. I just don't see that happening. Most employees understand how bad the Company is now and have an idea of what it would be like without them.
The FedEx example is different then UPS. FedEx (air not ground), is considered an airline under the Railway Labor Act, and not covered by the NLRA. Ups is not an airline, thus covered by the NLRA. I'm not sure of the company-wide aspect as a national contract. I've heard that is the case with the Teamsters First Student national agreement.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A Company with a national Contract has to have the whole country decertify at the same time by the employees.
I'm not sure of the company-wide aspect as a national contract. I've heard that is the case with the Teamsters First Student national agreement.

NLRB rules. Because it has a National Contract, it is considered one bargaining unit.
I certainly understand the semantics of this assertion, just can't find it in written form as a statute.

Either way, I am not a proponent for decertification locally or nationally, but do hear rumblings from time to time here.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Decertification by employees can only happen during specific time frames

Correct

nearing the expiration of the contract.

Incorrect.

We are past the 3 year mark of a 5 year contract. We can decertify at any time.

1. Petitions for a decertification election cannot be filed during the first three years of a collective bargaining agreement, except for during a certain 30-day “window period.” In most workplaces, the “window period” for filing a decertification petition with the NLRB occurs 60 to 90 days prior to the expiration date or three year anniversary of the contract, whichever comes first.

Gimme Danger

Correct

Incorrect.

We are past the 3 year mark of a 5 year contract. We can decertify at any time.

1. Petitions for a decertification election cannot be filed during the first three years of a collective bargaining agreement, except for during a certain 30-day “window period.” In most workplaces, the “window period” for filing a decertification petition with the NLRB occurs 60 to 90 days prior to the expiration date or three year anniversary of the contract, whichever comes first.
While that is true, I am not a proponent of decertification, and will not give management scabs the ammunition to attack our union. Incorrect by omission is more like it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
While that is true, I am not a proponent of decertification, and will not give management scabs the ammunition to attack our union. Incorrect by omission is more like it.

Never say never, but it will never happen anytime soon.

While I am not fond of some of the stuff the Teamsters have done in the past 5 years, there is no good alternative. And no union is not an option.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
They already have this.

Get rid of a top rate driver and replace him with a young driver in a 4 year progression. They save a ton for those 4 years.

Cheaper and younger.

A reporter for Feeder News Network is reporting the company wanted to offer starting pay of $24-$25/ hour, no progression, only yearly raises in the area of $.50 an hour no cap on hourly rate, those currently in progression now would be red circled until the raises caught up to them.

Those already full scale would get yearly raises effectively creating a two tiered system. Can you imagine the animosity between new and older drivers having that much of a gap

gear-guy

I expect several big surprises, to include a push to switch more employees in to the company pension plan and a two tiered wage structure for new FT hires with a one time signing bonus to ensure ratification.

I would personally like to see the PT starting wage increased, with an option for a higher wage in lieu of health benefits, and the right for drivers to wear neatly groomed beards.
The two tiered wage will be a big issue, but I retire in 10 days so I am out. The company will win and the union will concede with the p/t passing the vote.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The two tiered wage will be a big issue, but I retire in 10 days so I am out. The company will win and the union will concede with the p/t passing the vote.
Lol part timers don't vote and I think they have asked for 2 tier wages for years and actually there is already 2 tier wages in regards to tcd and air drivers and air walkers and 22.3 etc, etc.... The list goes on and on anyway enjoy your retirement!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The PTers will not vote it in. They do not vote.

If this comes to a vote, the FTers will vote it in because it will only affect the unborn.

Anyone voting on the contract will be part of the top tier.

While I, and many others will not vote yes on a two tier wage scale, the majority will. The majority just wants UPS to take care of them. Screw everyone else.