Is UPS terminating its union contract at the end of the year?

oldupsman

I remember when we used to get a signing bonus of $500 PT and $1000 FT. I think it lasted for two contracts. 1980's.

I think it was at least 3 contracts, in fact it sort of became part of the deals, and one time I remember getting $1500.

They aren't going to sweeten nobody's pot and the union will never allow a two tier wage...ups is already enjoying 3 or 4 different driver wage progressions and every contract 2 tier wages are brought up...and nothing happens.... This will be the case for this contract also.

I wish I had your faith. I won't be the least surprised if they go to a two tier wage. You're right, it shouldn't happen.
But had you told me 25 years ago there would be a 4 year progression to top rate, I would have laughed at you.

Inthegame

They aren't going to sweeten nobody's pot and the union will never allow a two tier wage...ups is already enjoying 3 or 4 different driver wage progressions and every contract 2 tier wages are brought up...and nothing happens.... This will be the case for this contract also.
But had you told me 25 years ago there would be a 4 year progression to top rate, I would have laughed at you.
You guys weren't talking 25 yrs ago so that couldn't happen. In fact 25 yrs ago he wasn't cold and you weren't old...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
i
You guys weren't talking 25 yrs ago so that couldn't happen. In fact 25 yrs ago he wasn't cold and you weren't old...
was just starting 25 years ago and old man ups was probably already in the circle of honor ... Lol

35years

Gravy route
They aren't going to sweeten nobody's pot and the union will never allow a two tier wage...
I remember when they first went to the 2 tier wage scale for part timers years ago (1982?). Plenty of guys said it would never happen. Now only the very highest seniority part timers still make the high wage.
People look out for themselves when the new contract is proposed.
Never say never.

I remember when they first went to the 2 tier wage scale for part timers years ago (1982?). Plenty of guys said it would never happen. Now only the very highest seniority part timers still make the high wage.
People look out for themselves when the new contract is proposed.
Never say never.
Heard way too many employees say "what do I care as long as it does not effect me" at concessionary contract proposals.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
Wish we would have had a matching 401k instead of a pension all along. I'd be retired in great shape by now if that was the case. Our pension hasn't increased in 20 years. Getting to the point where it's almost insignificant. Worth less than half what it was 20 years ago.
I mentioned that at a proposal meeting, you would have thought I asked for them to knit me a sweater out of unicorn hair. The opportunity cost on what they are putting into the pension plan for me vs what it would have done in a 401k is staggering.

Feeder news network isn't as accurate as it was years ago... It's just fake news now, almost as bad as Fox News...I wouldn't trust the FNN and I am in feeder!!

I guess driving all night by your self tends to make you come up with all kinds of theories

oldupsman

Feeder news network isn't as accurate as it was years ago... It's just fake news now, almost as bad as Fox News...I wouldn't trust the FNN and I am in feeder!!

Yeah, but feeder news was there only because you couldn't get anything out of the international.
And besides, feeder news used to be alot of fun.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I mentioned that at a proposal meeting, you would have thought I asked for them to knit me a sweater out of unicorn hair.

The response you received, doesn't surprise me at all.

Propose that (in the Union hall) as a viable concern, makes you look "company".

Yeah, but feeder news was there only because you couldn't get anything out of the international.

I'm not sure what that means. Sounds like a local problem.

And,besides, feeder news used to be alot of fun.

I guess driving all night by your self tends to make you come up with all kinds of theories

Sorry if I laughed.... but that's funny.

-Bug-

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I think it was at least 3 contracts, in fact it sort of became part of the deals, and one time I remember getting $1500.

I wish I had your faith. I won't be the least surprised if they go to a two tier wage. You're right, it shouldn't happen.
Imagine if someone told you that drucks could drive themselves? Or they could deliver a package with an inexpensive mini helicopter?