Joining the military

IIIIII

I’m talking to the marines about joining, made up on my mind on this move just need to hash out the details with them.

I plan on talking to my B.A this week to find out local details or past practice in this situation.

I was just curious how long does UPS hold my job for? Have you seen them hold it longer for others? Is it something I communicate to HR or my managers?

I understand I continue gaining seniority but am not eligible for any bid jobs that are posted while I’m gone. Does the seniority also apply to raises?

I’m assuming insurance is gone as well considering I’m not working for them.

Any advice or info is appreciated.

wrecker

I took military leave, 4 years active US Army.

It was as if I never left upon returning. Kept my seniority date, pay rate like I’d been there the whole time. Immediate insurance reinstatement. Pension credit while gone based on my average hours before leaving.

I’m not sure how long they have to hold your job.

PT Car Washer

By law the company has to hold your job or a like job for 5 years. Of course any company can hold it longer if they choose. I served 22 years in my states Army National Guard including a 1 years deployment. Never had any problems.

Mutineer

If yer joining the military out of a sense of patriotism, civic duty, or the ability to say "been there, done that", then by all means, join. But keep in mind that it is amazingly easy to get in big forking trouble over nothing and wind up with a dishonorable discharge. Or at the very least, a diminished, regrettable four year experience. The most common (though not required) ingredient in this recipe is alcohol. Once you've consumed ONE beer, if ANY misfortune happens in your immediate vicinity for the next several hours, it's ALL your fault. All of it.

I saw that happen way too many times. Had one close call myself. And that was 25 years ago. I doubt things have gotten less stringent.

If your joining for occupational training in a skill, craft, or trade to make you more attractive to employers? My experience is that military experience means nothing. Zero. And so-called veterans benefits or preferences are highly exaggerated.

Join the (Ch)Air Force. Years of delivering on an Air Force base proved to me without a doubt that their enlisted people are treated exceptionally well compared to all other branches.

And of course, everything I say your recruiter will beg to differ.

IIIIII

If yer joining the military out of a sense of patriotism, civic duty, or the ability to say "been there, done that", then by all means, join. But keep in mind that it is amazingly easy to get in big forking trouble over nothing and wind up with a dishonorable discharge. Or at the very least, a diminished, regrettable four year experience. The most common (though not required) ingredient in this recipe is alcohol. Once you've consumed ONE beer, if ANY misfortune happens in your immediate vicinity for the next several hours, it's ALL your fault. All of it.

I saw that happen way too many times. Had one close call myself. And that was 25 years ago. I doubt things have gotten less stringent.

If your joining for occupational training in a skill, craft, or trade to make you more attractive to employers? My experience is that military experience means nothing. Zero. And so-called veterans benefits or preferences are highly exaggerated.

Join the (Ch)Air Force. Years of delivering on an Air Force base proved to me without a doubt that their enlisted people are treated exceptionally well compared to all other branches.

And of course, everything I say your recruiter will beg to differ.
I’m joining to fight. Now that I’m older, mature and have no illusions about the repercussions of joining I want to go.

I’m not too worried about alcohol related stuff, I don’t drink. Hate getting drunk.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
088DB703-89A6-449A-8CC8-6B4A3DA01335.jpeg
I’m joining to fight

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I took military leave, 4 years active US Army.

It was as if I never left upon returning. Kept my seniority date, pay rate like I’d been there the whole time. Immediate insurance reinstatement. Pension credit while gone based on my average hours before leaving.

I’m not sure how long they have to hold your job.
Pretty much 4 years is all I've heard.
I had a guy come back from his four years and he went driving within a couple of months.

rickyb

I’m talking to the marines about joining, made up on my mind on this move just need to hash out the details with them.

I plan on talking to my B.A this week to find out local details or past practice in this situation.

I was just curious how long does UPS hold my job for? Have you seen them hold it longer for others? Is it something I communicate to HR or my managers?

I understand I continue gaining seniority but am not eligible for any bid jobs that are posted while I’m gone. Does the seniority also apply to raises?

I’m assuming insurance is gone as well considering I’m not working for them.

Any advice or info is appreciated.
are you young?

do not :censored2:ing do it. you are just a number (which is no different than how UPS views you, except you likely have a higher life expectancy working at UPS than you do in the marines.

look up chris hedges immediately. war is a racket. do not go.

id rec'd healthcare, or a trade, or computers if you can do any. and find somewhere to move to where mortgages are cheap.