Kings of Late Air

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
But the customer paid for a service. I'd like to cone as close as possible to providing that service.
Me too.

I mean no sweat off my back if it's late but purposely screwing a customer just so I can get off 30 minutes earlier just doesn't sit right with me.
I don't go out of my way, but they paid for 10:30. Once it's not 10:30, that's really not my problem. I never had late air til about a year ago, now I have several a week. This is not my decision, it is UPS decision.

ManInBrown

After 10:30, they are late. Once they are late, doesn't matter how late. I go straight to my first stop once my airs are past commit.
We had someone walked off last week for saying friend it. I'm mixing ground. They're back now, but that is a big thing in my center right now. No mixed ground until all airs are done. Doesn't matter if they're late or not already.

tourists24

If it was up to me I'd mix ground after 10:30. When they're already late, who cares. Can't do it here
It sucks but yep... WAI.... they'll get it exactly how they want it in that case. Just have to tell the customers who ask where the rest of their stuff is "Bring it back around 4"....

barnyard

KTM rider
I respectfully disagree with this. Just because it's late doesn't mean the customer isn't waiting on it.

This is a sales problem. 3/4ths of the NDA I deliver are to people that are not home and most do not get home till the end of the day. NDA should be a super premium, which would encourage more NDA savers.

JustAnotherSup

After 10:30, they are late. Once they are late, doesn't matter how late. I go straight to my first stop once my airs are past commit.

You're right from a perspective of you getting off early, and from a perspective of short term profit for the company, since it reduces your paid hours.

Unfortunately, in the long term, customers that frequently get their NDA packages delivered well after the commit time are a lot less likely to continue to order our premium products, and also a lot less likely to stick with UPS.

This kind of short term thinking, from all levels within the company, is slowly killing us. We charge more than our competitors, with the customer-facing justification for that being that we provide better service. And then we go ahead and provide service that's only on par with, if not worse than, what our competitors can provide. As UPSers we should be doing what's in our power (based on our position in the company) to ensure that we service our customers as best as we can. That includes serving our customers as best as we can, even once we've already failed them in some respect.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Between the idiot dispatcher, the terrible loader, and all the irreggs down the middle, I gave up. Used to really take pride, but only gonna hurt myself if I do that.

and where would you like the irreggs to be loaded? Let me guess...you only want them on the tail end...or someone else to shuttle them because they are in your way! This is the problem with the drivers now...they only want those packages, NOT THOSE packages that actually means you have to work...

for the love of god man!

MyTripisCut

and where would you like the irreggs to be loaded? Let me guess...you only want them on the tail end...or someone else to shuttle them because they are in your way! This is the problem with the drivers now...they only want those packages, NOT THOSE packages that actually means you have to work...

for the love of god man!
Wasn't complaining about irreggs. Just saying that at 10:30, it's time to start getting them off the car, so I can sort and deliver the shelves. I certainly can't leave them in my way all day. And if I have a 1 LB package that was due at 10:30 and five or six monsters clogging my aisle and rear door, I'm going to do the air in trace at that point, it's already late.

MyTripisCut

You're right from a perspective of you getting off early, and from a perspective of short term profit for the company, since it reduces your paid hours.

Unfortunately, in the long term, customers that frequently get their NDA packages delivered well after the commit time are a lot less likely to continue to order our premium products, and also a lot less likely to stick with UPS.

This kind of short term thinking, from all levels within the company, is slowly killing us. We charge more than our competitors, with the customer-facing justification for that being that we provide better service. And then we go ahead and provide service that's only on par with, if not worse than, what our competitors can provide.

Corporate is the ones with the bright ideas. Orion, Saturday ground. Ever since these two ideas were implemented, everything has been screwed. We are sinking to our competitors level. We have had Saturday ground for a year now in my area, where is the increase in volume by providing this service that was supposed to result in more routes on Mondays and fridays? As far as I can see, you guys have 10 1/2 months to figure something out. Quit running lean and telling us you have slim profit margins. Lmao. So much money coming in.

Wasn't complaining about irreggs. Just saying that at 10:30, it's time to start getting them off the car, so I can sort and deliver the shelves. I certainly can't leave them in my way all day. And if I have a 1 LB package that was due at 10:30 and five or six monsters clogging my aisle and rear door, I'm going to do the air in trace at that point, it's already late.
sometimes you gotta treat bulk as air.