Latest UPS Rising text/update

Tony Q

They could at least guarantee 4 hrs a day and 20 hrs a weeks it’s at least half the time of a tornado job
It is a part time job. It is not meant to be a career. It works well for a lot of people. The benefits are unmatched in any part time job out there, after a year of course. This will change in the upcoming contract to 9 months for benefits for single or whole family.

Tony Q

Of course I realize this and also realize the regression in pay for part timers since the 80’s. I’d prefer progress.
We increased the starting wage every year of the contract, got an additional 7,000 NEW full time jobs, red-circled 65,000 package car jobs, got part-time new hires benefits after 9 month. This in my opinion is good stuff.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I kinda picked up on that with your long winded, dim witted responses over the last couple months.
:censored2: has to be spelled out for you and you still don't get it or understand. You just keep regurgitating the same tired lies!

No a real steward would be looking at the daily lineup and be able to comprehend why it is so heavy. They would question why cars are cut and have an answer for their co workers as to why their routes got bigger.
You really are a piece of work. Every driver with more than 5 years experience understands why, "it is so heavy." But hey, you keep going on blaming the steward and ignore the elephant in the room, :censored2:! So what if a steward questions why it is so heavy. Those representing us refuse to back us AND refuse to give so anything to fight back with. Again, because you are slow, from the cheap seats all we see is the company writing the contract and our union saying, "yeah, ok!"

It would be on the line up sheet. It would be in the office.
I addressed this in my post but you are too dense, lazy and untrustworthy to acknowledge it!

We increased the starting wage every year of the contract, got an additional 7,000 NEW full time jobs, red-circled 65,000 package car jobs, got part-time new hires benefits after 9 month. This in my opinion is good stuff.
You didn't red-circle half the numbers you are lying about Jack! Your numbers are so made up you make tRump look like a straight shooting college professor! This was the sole purpose of me telling the facts about Monday's PCM!

Tony Q

:censored2: has to be spelled out for you and you still don't get it or understand. You just keep regurgitating the same tired lies!

You really are a piece of work. Every driver with more than 5 years experience understands why, "it is so heavy." But hey, you keep going on blaming the steward and ignore the elephant in the room, :censored2:! So what if a steward questions why it is so heavy. Those representing us refuse to back us AND refuse to give so anything to fight back with. Again, because you are slow, from the cheap seats all we see is the company writing the contract and our union saying, "yeah, ok!"

I addressed this in my post but you are too dense, lazy and untrustworthy to acknowledge it!

You didn't red-circle half the numbers you are lying about Jack! Your numbers are so made up you make tRump look like a straight shooting college professor! This was the sole purpose of me telling the facts about Monday's PCM!
Do you have so sort of infatuation with me?

Blackstream

Very very few jobs have a set schedule that someone would be required to work every single weekend like 22.4.
Let's be fair here for a second, your statement is technically true, but only because most jobs can't get away with only working people M-friend, on top of the fact that many jobs also don't have set schedules period.

Many of these jobs don't have a set schedule, but the weekend is still generally the time period they need people the most, and if you want to be off on any kind of consistent basis on the weekends, it's like pulling teeth with the schedulers.

If 22.4 didn't have a set schedule and had to find out every week what their schedule was gonna be in a week or two, they would technically get to have weekends off sometimes (maybe), but it would definitely be a straight up downgrade to their quality of life.

Basically a set schedule that includes weekends is still far superior to a variable schedule that sometimes doesn't include one or both weekend days. I've worked all 3, set schedules that go through weekends, set schedules that don't, and variable schedules (obviously two of those were in jobs outside of UPS). And variable schedules suck the most ass, especially when you eventually get the inevitable 10 day work week.

There's a lot of things to pick at in this contract, such as the lack of 9.5 protection for 22.4s or starting off part timers at $13 an hour years past the point the dems (the side that the union supposedly are) decided to rally behind the idea that a $15 minimum wage was the minimum needed to have a living wage.

But working weekends is something that absolutely has to happen in this day and age, unless you want UPS to get destroyed by the age of e-commerce and shipping companies that are already adapting to these insane levels of flow that seem like they're only going to get higher. Someone has to work the weekends, which means a set schedule that goes through weekends is the only possibility.

On top of that, looking into the future, if you want to have as even of a distribution of employees as possible so you don't have days with too few workers which causes the building to crash (or massive OT for drivers) and days with too many workers which causes layoffs despite record flow, you need to be able to have those set schedules be any consecutive 5 days.

If the only options are Tue-Sat, Sun-Thu, and M-friend, imagine this scenario in the future. Flow has gotten to the point where you need 100 employees in the building on any given day to deal with the flow. And hell, let's even say that Sat and Sun only need 80 people. How do you assign these positions? Well, you have to have 80 people that are Tue-Sat, and 80 people that are Sun-Thu, or you are :censored2:ed on those weekend days. Already we we have 160 :censored2:ing people from tuesday to thursday due to overlap. But wait, monday and friday only have 80 people and we need 100, so that's 20 more positions that have to be M-friend, bringing Tue-Thu up to 180 people.

Now, not only are the coveted M-friend positions by far the minority, but on tuesday through thursday, we have almost double the staffing we need to run. And this extra staffing doesn't even cover monday which is often the heaviest day for many shifts.

So what do you do? Well if you have the ability to have a set schedule of any consecutive 5 days, then you can have 16 people M-friend, 16 people Tue-Sat, 16 people W-Sun, 16 people Thu-Mon, 16 people Fri-Tue, 16 people Sat-Wed, and 16 people Sun-Thu. Now you now have 80 people even covering every single day. Add in 20 M-Fs to get M-friend up to 100 people, and you now have 36 people with M-friend shifts, and exactly the coverage you want on every day. Notice too that as an added bonus, you also have MORE of the coveted M-friend shifts with this system, up to 36 from 20, or nearly double.

If you don't have the option to have a set schedule of any consecutive 5 days, but you limit your scheduling to max one weekday, then the only option is to advance flow to days you have better staffing and reduce staffing to match this advanced flow because laying off 55% of your sort 3 days a week is ridiculous. Monday and fridays are basically impossible to have superior staffing numbers compared to tuesday-thursday, which basically means that UPS has to advance as much flow to tuesday as they can and try to stay afloat from friday to monday in the meantime, so that the much higher staffing numbers can handle it during that time period. It's especially bad too because monday is often the heaviest day on a lot of shifts, but it has effectively the worst staffing.

Now, this is some napkin math stuff here, so if you guys can see a way for UPS to deal with competition and booming e-commerce without having shifts that cover the entire weekend, or see something wrong with my logic, I'd actually interested, because obviously my numbers are very theoretical, so maybe there's something about how things work in practice that I'm missing here. The only thing I can see is that we don't need these shifts as long as UPS can afford to skeleton crew the weekends for minimal impact. But as soon as flow is heavy and consistent enough that every day needs normalish staffing, we're :censored2:ed.

tl;dr: No one likes working weekends, but if we're gonna work them, then shifts that cover the entire weekend are mandatory, and that includes driving.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wait I thought you wanted to strike ;)

Your all nuts to even consider this contract as decent. Hoffa will be paid millions if he pulls this off for UPS because it sucks.UPS is floating with money they make off our backs the economy is soaring and we get this :censored2: ass deal.UPS has never and will never truly respect their drivers and this contract is an insult to all drivers in times like these!

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You can’t borrow from a neighboring building?
No. They were doing that 2 years ago. The drivers from the building they were borrowing from started filing grievances about being forced to go a different building. That ended the borrowing. Now that building is laying off low drivers and we are drastically understaffed every single day. They will not let those laid off drivers come work at our building because of the grievances that were filed.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
It is a part time job. It is not meant to be a career. It works well for a lot of people. The benefits are unmatched in any part time job out there, after a year of course. This will change in the upcoming contract to 9 months for benefits for single or whole family.
This is where I’ll agree with you. Part time is part of the time. Contract still sucks balls.

Last edited: