Leaving the company and then returning: Seniority?

Meat

All I know is the company didn't keep it's word on many things, and the quality of my life, and my retirement, suffered for it.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but when it's all said and done won't you and OF have approximately the same amount of time in with Fedex? How could he be in the neighborhood of millionaire status, and you be on the cusp of bankruptcy? It's almost as if personal choices, like quitting your job, make a difference in life. Oh well, at least you'll be able to participate in the PPP (perpetual pity party) for the rest of your life, so that's something.

Oldfart

I'm not trying to start anything here, but when it's all said and done won't you and OF have approximately the same amount of time in with Fedex? How could he be in the neighborhood of millionaire status, and you be on the cusp of bankruptcy? It's almost as if personal choices, like quitting your job, make a difference in life. Oh well, at least you'll be able to participate in the PPP (perpetual pity party) for the rest of your life, so that's something.
I believe I have a few more years but it really doesn't matter. It is a matter of life choices and sacrifices. You piss away all your money while you are in the prime of your earning years and you pay the price when you retire in poverty.

vantexan

You say you don't want to start something then you do. You say I bring up my personal life, then you do. I can say until I'm blue in the face that I made a mistake quitting in '97. You will still use it against me. What you can't seem to grasp is it isn't about me. I use myself as an example, but the fact is I'm one of 10's of thousands of couriers that FedEx told we'd top out in 7 to 8 years but they had no intention to do so. Oldfart wants to talk about our choices, you want to make it about my choices. But fact is 10's of thousands of couriers never had the choices Oldfart had. And believe me I'm thankful that I managed to at least get a traditional pension that allowed me to leave at 55. You can talk poverty all day but I have a decent roof over my head and I eat well. And my choices in the near future will allow me to live in eternal spring weather and every bit as well on my $22k a year as a topped out employee making $55k in a cheaper area of the U.S.. My anger stems from the many years I struggled to make ends meet on my pay while the company assured me over and over better pay was just around the corner. And people like Oldfart saying it's our fault because we didn't sacrifice like he did, we were lazy, we're just bad people. Worked too hard for too long to stand for it.

vantexan

I believe I have a few more years but it really doesn't matter. It is a matter of life choices and sacrifices. You piss away all your money while you are in the prime of your earning years and you pay the price when you retire in poverty.
You've inspired me to keep pointing out the error of the company's ways.

Oldfart

You've inspired me to keep pointing out the error of the company's ways.
While you eat beenie weenie's, I will be eating filet minion. You just can't comprehend your choices in life had consequences. You admitted you made crappy choices and now and always want to blame others for your poverty driven retirement.

vantexan

While you eat beenie weenie's, I will be eating filet minion. You just can't comprehend your choices in life had consequences. You admitted you made crappy choices and now and always want to blame others for your poverty driven retirement.
Again, the company paying me $6hr+ less than you in my 15 years after rehiring me wasn't my choice. The company terminating the traditional pension AFTER giving us the CHOICE to remain in it wasn't my choice. I made a mistake quitting in '97 but again what THEY did wasn't MY choice. You can't seem to grasp that there are other ways to have a good retirement without having a lot of money. In the last 2 weeks my wife and I traveled to Florida and are now in Branson, MO. If there was any doubt it became crystal clear how expensive this country is. I've been to Mexico and know what I'm getting for my money and know I'd have to have a lot more to stay in the States but what the States offers for that much money isn't as good a deal as less money in Mexico. You think you have the tiger by the tail but you'll worry the rest of your life about having enough to maintain your lifestyle. Good luck with that.

Oldfart

You think you have the tiger by the tail but you'll worry the rest of your life about having enough to maintain your lifestyle. Good luck with that.

As usual, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. You might want to go see the Osmonds in Branson and leave the financials to people that just might now a little more than you.

Use this calculator and you can see how long you will be a beenie weenie diet.

Savings Withdrawal Calculator

vantexan

As usual, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. You might want to go see the Osmonds in Branson and leave the financials to people that just might now a little more than you.

Use this calculator and you can see how long you will be a beenie weenie diet.

Savings Withdrawal Calculator
Oh but I do have a clue. You'll be worried the rest of your life if your money will last. I won't. Keeping up with inflation will never give you the peace of mind living in a much lower cost of living area will. Why are you still working? That nagging feeling that you'll come up short. Of course you could go to a place like Ajijic, Mexico and have everything you need including perfect weather, and be surrounded by so many Americans you'd think you were in the States, and live extraordinarily well with your money, but you won't. For all your boasting you're fearful. Good luck!

Oldfart

Oh but I do have a clue. You'll be worried the rest of your life if your money will last. I won't. Keeping up with inflation will never give you the peace of mind living in a much lower cost of living area will. Why are you still working? That nagging feeling that you'll come up short. Of course you could go to a place like Ajijic, Mexico and have everything you need including perfect weather, and be surrounded by so many Americans you'd think you were in the States, and live extraordinarily well with your money, but you won't. For all your boasting you're fearful. Good luck!
LOL If you only knew. I ate a bacon wrapped Filet Minion tonight. How did that can of vienna sausage taste? You better get used to it, that is about all you will be able to afford in retirement. Meanwhile, my retirement will entail me earning close to, if not more than 90% of my working income and even if I live 30 years in retirement, my 2 kids will inherit a nice chunk of change.

Last edited:

vantexan

LOL If you only knew. I ate a bacon wrapped Filet Minion tonight. How did that can of vienna sausage taste? You better get used to it, that is about all you will be able to afford in retirement. Meanwhile, my retirement will entail me earning close to, if not more than 90% of my working income and even if I live 30 years in retirement, my 2 kids will inherit a nice chunk of change.
Keep eating like that and your kids will inherit most of your change soon. I'm in retirement at 55, and you are still working. You may eat better, but you aren't free. Try to put a price tag on that. And soon I'll be eating in restaurants with excellent food for less than your home cooked meals. Ever hear of the chain Landry's? We ate very well there yesterday in Branson. I'm free, you're working until what, 67? 70? Too scared to pull the trigger?

vantexan

P.S. He's got about 10 years on me. When he started he kickstarted the van running his feet through the floor.

Oldfart

P.S. He's got about 10 years on me. When he started he kickstarted the van running his feet through the floor.
Na, we just had to wind the crank that went thru the grill. My first Econoline did have a 3 on the tree transmission. Haven't seen anything with that shifter in many a years.

MAKAVELI

If you want to really screw with your manager and SFA, rate him or her really high and upper management and pay really low. If enough workers in the group do this it will make for some very interesting follow up meetings.:rofl:

Oldfart

If you want to really screw with your manager and SFA, rate him or her really high and upper management and pay really low. If enough workers in the group do this it will make for some very interesting follow up meetings.:rofl:
That is standard procedure at my place. We have excellent station managers and a fantastic senior. Unfortunately they do not control pay or benefits.

BootsOnTarmac

My first vehicle was a 1972 Ford pickup "3 on the tree" camper special. Made you work for the task of driving, always having to pay attention. Replaced the shift tube a few times, those who are in the know, know what I'm talking about.

Anyway.

As for the SFA, I have always rated all questions to the top, except for the pay question. I have been lucky to have had good managers and senior managers. Rest assured, I have not been chicken sh%t about my concerns, confronting managers, etc. I have walked the line as a good employee and expected my managers to do the same. So far good results.

So what was this thread about?

SmithBarney

He's lying; he's just too embarrassed to admit he lost everything (with the exception of his employee number).
Well he's below me in seniority(with a higher number than me) and his pay stub is much larger than mine.. but hey what do I know.

Oldfart

Well he's below me in seniority(with a higher number than me) and his pay stub is much larger than mine.. but hey what do I know.
Did he show you his stub? Did you look at his hourly rate? I know many people that were rehired but none kept their hourly pay according to them. I have never looked at another employee's stub but they told me they started out at bottom pay.