Lenexa Feeder Manager Has Rollaway?

Re-Raise

Lucky man . I only drove for 2 years and had 2 days of training and became a swing driver after 21 days.
They left me alone and I liked it that way.

I actually only spent 2 days at " driver school " 17 years ago. I figure I was ridden with a few other days so I rounded it to a week. I ran 10 routes my first summer because the 2 people I was hired with couldn't read a map so they kept them in town. I had 7 years part-time.

lazydriver

Tieguy, are you from Baltimore Hub? I ask because don't they use an outside driving school to train their feeder drivers? Instead of DTS trained sups.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Here, we are sent to an outside school only to get our CDL license. After that, you are trained by UPS management for two weeks.

Also, I was thinking about this thread at work today. I agree with those who stated they would rather drive with the 30+ year vet than the DTS trained supervisor.

But I definitely would rather be trained by the supervisor who passed DTS.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy, are you from Baltimore Hub? I ask because don't they use an outside driving school to train their feeder drivers? Instead of DTS trained sups.

They have used an outside agency in the past for large groups for what qualifies as the first week of training. The biggest reason being the vendor has a state certified tester so its much quicker and easier getting the CDL through that vendor. They still have 40 hours of productive training to do after the first week. They have also done all the training thierselves when training smaller groups.

Feederdrivermack

Here, we are sent to an outside school only to get our CDL license. After that, you are trained by UPS management for two weeks.

Also, I was thinking about this thread at work today. I agree with those who stated they would rather drive with the 30+ year vet than the DTS trained supervisor.

But I definitely would rather be trained by the supervisor who passed DTS.

I agree

raceanoncr

couple of problems with your little fantasy. We do not use the work "illuminator" we say our three ID Lights and two clearance lights are illuminated when demonstrating the pretrip. Another fantasy killer is that there is no corporate auditer this year auditing facilitys due to cost cutting initiatives.

As for your the rest of your fantasy I would dare say there are many of you reeking with all that "experience" that could not pass DTS. In fact my experience has been that most of you that claim to know feeders so much better then us can not even perform a proper pretrip without missing at least two dot required items.

But yet because you have been getting behind the wheel of a tractor longer then we have you now claim some type of driving superiority....:)

I will try to diffuse some of my, obviously, abrasive comments (at least to you) as long as this thread will last.

Let me also say that I must back up. I should have prefaced that explanation of auditors and DTS as what I SEE HERE. I should not have made that a blanket statement of all parts of the country. I is merely what I see here. Copy?

You tear apart my "fantasy" with the explanation of lit and illuminated and that there are no corporate auditors this year. Does this diminish the fact (yes, it has been confirmed and I even have his name) that this manager ROLLED AWAY?

Your second point here to make my "experience" look like a fluke is that most of us couldn't pass DTS and probably at least two or more items on pre-trip. I beg to differ. I KNOW I could pass this school. Again, arrogant? Yes. On my last annual, the ride-a-long said afterwards that he couldn't find anything to ding but said he HAD to. Since I don't care if they ding or not (and yes, I think my 31 yrs says that SOMETHING must be going right!), I said, "Why don't you put down that I didn't check the registration?", since I am the only one that uses this tractor and had to put the papers in there in the first place and know everything about this unit, to the point of even being able to tell if someone just moved it from here to there. During our pre-trip, I told him about papers without physically checking them. I had to turn defroster on to clear windows. Was that part of pre-trip? Maybe. Maybe I was just trying to clear windows. I told him to mark that down. He said, "Fine". We moved on. I could go on.

You want me to give examples of driving superiority? Boy, let me get out my book! One supe was permenantly dq from training because he about killed someone. Many have been in the ditch when they bragged, "WE can get em through". You want me to go on? Now, your fire-back is, "Well, you UNION people do the same thing". Go ahead.

mnnice

This thread is typical of some of the threads we see on BC. It started out as a rumor and it escaladed to an argument that no one will win. First, why put something like this on BC if you don't have all the facts. Your only objective is to make someone else look bad and drag this person through the dirt. Everyone makes mistakes that don't appear on BC. Second, don't criticize something you have never done until you do it. I have never gone to DTS so I don't have any information to criticize it. I haven't driven a tractor/trailer for 31 years without an accident so I can't criticize a person that does or did. All I can say is the people that have done the above demand my respect and not my criticism. Please leave the rumors or mistakes out of BC

raceanoncr

This thread is typical of some of the threads we see on BC. It started out as a rumor and it escaladed to an argument that no one will win. First, why put something like this on BC if you don't have all the facts. Your only objective is to make someone else look bad and drag this person through the dirt. Everyone makes mistakes that don't appear on BC. Second, don't criticize something you have never done until you do it. I have never gone to DTS so I don't have any information to criticize it. I haven't driven a tractor/trailer for 31 years without an accident so I can't criticize a person that does or did. All I can say is the people that have done the above demand my respect and not my criticism. Please leave the rumors or mistakes out of BC

Did this start as a rumor? I thought the QUESTION was asked, "Lenexa...." Then I thought the sentence following was something to the effect that no facts were present so no opinion was offered. I DO have all the facts now but won't go dragging them out here.

My objective is to make someone else look bad and drag him through the dirt? Boy, if you only knew him! He would fire you for having one shoe lace double-tied and one shoe lace single-tied, claiming you were out of compliance. OK, I concede, that's dragging him through the mud. Enough of that but you get the point?

I try not to report on anything I have not personally witnessed or have not been told first person. In this case, rumor? Now, it's fact. Mistake? Sure! Should we let it go? Would he let US go? I dunno. Tell me.

some1else

Banned
don't criticize something you have never done until you do it. I have never gone to DTS so I don't have any information to criticize it. I haven't driven a tractor/trailer for 31 years without an accident so I can't criticize a person that does or did. All I can say is the people that have done the above demand my respect and not my criticism.

wow; i wouldnt want you on a jury! i haven't chopped anyone up with a chainsaw and ate their brains so i cant criticize a person that does or did.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
My only thoughts are I know if I had a rollaway in a P.c. or feeder I would be fired no question. Is this what will happen here? I respect any driver personal,P.C., feeder who can go 31 years without an accident. I also understand and respect how hard DTS training is to those who can do it my hat is off to you. Now I would never say I can do some ones job just as good as they can because you can never really prove that, to many factors to consider. As for who I would want to train me??? The guy who did my training had been driving for like 30+ years he had also passed DTS. I feel like I had the best trainer out there he has seen it all and been behind the wheel for most of it. I am sad to say I will be the last driver he will train but happy for him to hang up those browns forever....

Richie

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My only thoughts are I know if I had a rollaway in a P.C. or feeder I would be fired no question.

Richie

Yes you would per the contract. UPS would have to do that or lose the ability to do so in the future.
Based on your previous history you would be brought back with suspension time off without pay.
At least that is the way it usually goes in Georgia. Can't speak for other Locals.

That's the way it goes when the union represents you as an individual.

tieguy

Banned
I will try to diffuse some of my, obviously, abrasive comments (at least to you) as long as this thread will last.

Let me also say that I must back up. I should have prefaced that explanation of auditors and DTS as what I SEE HERE. I should not have made that a blanket statement of all parts of the country. I is merely what I see here. Copy?

You tear apart my "fantasy" with the explanation of lit and illuminated and that there are no corporate auditors this year. Does this diminish the fact (yes, it has been confirmed and I even have his name) that this manager ROLLED AWAY?

I

Your second point here to make my "experience" look like a fluke is that most of us couldn't pass DTS and probably at least two or more items on pre-trip. I beg to differ. I KNOW I could pass this school. Again, arrogant? Yes. On my last annual, the ride-a-long said afterwards that he couldn't find anything to ding but said he HAD to. Since I don't care if they ding or not (and yes, I think my 31 yrs says that SOMETHING must be going right!), I said, "Why don't you put down that I didn't check the registration?", since I am the only one that uses this tractor and had to put the papers in there in the first place and know everything about this unit, to the point of even being able to tell if someone just moved it from here to there. During our pre-trip, I told him about papers without physically checking them. I had to turn defroster on to clear windows. Was that part of pre-trip? Maybe. Maybe I was just trying to clear windows. I told him to mark that down. He said, "Fine". We moved on. I could go on.

You want me to give examples of driving superiority? Boy, let me get out my book! One supe was permenantly dq from training because he about killed someone. Many have been in the ditch when they bragged, "WE can get em through". You want me to go on? Now, your fire-back is, "Well, you UNION people do the same thing". Go ahead.

confidence and a touch of arrogance is what makes us the best in the package business. I do respect your 31 years and I have nothing but love for your service to this country. Our little "whos the better driver" exchange was not intended to defend what may have happened in Lenexa. I would not think to excuse or even try to defend my partners if they do not lead by example. That was never my intent.

bill102

I went through DTS in 07 and will agree that it was one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences of my life. Of my class of 12 only 6 of us qualified. The arguement that DTS makes us better or more experienced than drivers than 30yr drivers is foolish. How do we establish credilbilty with 30yr drivers? By knowing the fundementals and using them when driving. Obviously we don't have thirty years of snow and ice under my belt but I know when you are taking shortcuts that could lead to accidents.

Braveheart

For some reason you guys never see your union buddy throw the first punch you only see it when I return fire. Go figure.
Tell me this Tie, if the manager was driving the rig and was the one who parked it, then he should be held accountable just as a driver should be for the roll-away.

Should he be fired, just like us???

Or are you guys above the law?