Lmao

vantexan

They hire people off the street and all you need is a HS diploma or, I guess, a GED. Entry level.

If the job/compensation was that bad and the other options were that good, there would be no couriers posting here because they'd have left and taken one of those vastly superior jobs.
FedEx supposedly addressed the issue with a better pay system. They had problems in Europe and whoosh, new system put on hold. People work hard for them with expectations, based on what the company has told them, of getting a reasonable pay progression and a reasonable retirement package. Not getting what they were told they'd get after working hard tends to make people angry. But you're always downplaying that as no big deal. Must be nice to have a decent, dependable salary but that in no way gives you the right to judge how they feel about it.

bacha29

FedEx supposedly addressed the issue with a better pay system. They had problems in Europe and whoosh, new system put on hold. People work hard for them with expectations, based on what the company has told them, of getting a reasonable pay progression and a reasonable retirement package. Not getting what they were told they'd get after working hard tends to make people angry. But you're always downplaying that as no big deal. Must be nice to have a decent, dependable salary but that in no way gives you the right to judge how they feel about it.
The situation is even worse at Ground . No need to go into details. The business model and the entire work experience has been dug up and laid out there for everyone to see . It's not pretty one and will likely to get much worse in the days ahead.

AB831

While I agree with you, FedEx did an excellent job of making people feel otherwise, starting with the PSP philosophy they pounded into our brains. You know, People Service Profit, in that order. Then there are all the bonuses we were given through the years, top notch insurance years ago, Family Day picnics, Christmas parties, profit sharing, etc. etc. Obviously, those things are all in the past, but some people are still brainwashed and are still holding onto that. It’s actually kind of sad. It’s just a job now. No more, no less.
It actually used to be that way? Wow. It’s hard to separate that from the “your ass belongs to me” mindset that they use now.

AB831

When you say entry level, you're talking about an unskilled kids jobs like McDonalds. FedEx isn't exactly an entry level job like working at Subway or some other fast food gig. And if UPS pays their employees great, why can't FedEx step up a bit too? I'm not asking to be making $35/hr like UPS, but I would like to top out in under 1/5 of a century. Even their 10 year pay progression is a joke. Do you know any other jobs where you're looking at between 10 years (at best) to 20 years (at worst) before they are at top pay scale? If FedEx made their pay progression 5 years you'd have a lot of happy employees who wouldn't be looking for other jobs.
I hate to agree with Dummy Dano, but FedEx is an entry level job, and Fat Freddy knows and exploits the fact that most of his workers aren’t qualified to do anything besides retail or warehouse work if they leave. However, like most things, this strategy will bite him in the butt. As retail jobs become higher and higher paying, and courier jobs become lower and lower paying, sometime (soon) their wages are going to meet and Fat Freddy will be screwed as people leave in droves. What’s a better job: making $15 an hour to smoke weed behind the Target dumpster or making $15 an hour to spend all day in the broiling sun carrying crates up and down apartment stairs? He’s banking on people wanting “so badly” to work for the greatest company in the world. And once again, that hubris will cost him dearly.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It actually used to be that way? Wow. It’s hard to separate that from the “your ass belongs to me” mindset that they use now.
Yes. It did. Also back then management was there to help us do our jobs and OLCCs were unheard of. You really had to screw up to get written up for anything. I remember my first year doing SFA and they shuttled us to a Marriott hotel to feed us and do the SFA. For the Feedback meeting we were well fed also. Christmas parties used to be a blast at local hotels.
The feel of Express back then was much different than now. There was a lot of teamwork. We were family.

AB831

Yes. It did. Also back then management was there to help us do our jobs and OLCCs were unheard of. You really had to screw up to get written up for anything. I remember my first year doing SFA and they shuttled us to a Marriott hotel to feed us and do the SFA. For the Feedback meeting we were well fed also. Christmas parties used to be a blast at local hotels.
The feel of Express back then was much different than now. There was a lot of teamwork. We were family.
When did it start changing? I started in 2016, and that doesn’t sound even remotely like anything I’ve ever seen there.

It will be fine

I hate to agree with Dummy Dano, but FedEx is an entry level job, and Fat Freddy knows and exploits the fact that most of his workers aren’t qualified to do anything besides retail or warehouse work if they leave. However, like most things, this strategy will bite him in the butt. As retail jobs become higher and higher paying, and courier jobs become lower and lower paying, sometime (soon) their wages are going to meet and Fat Freddy will be screwed as people leave in droves. What’s a better job: making $15 an hour to smoke weed behind the Target dumpster or making $15 an hour to spend all day in the broiling sun carrying crates up and down apartment stairs? He’s banking on people wanting “so badly” to work for the greatest company in the world. And once again, that hubris will cost him dearly.
What makes you think retail jobs will be higher paying? Brick and mortar is barely hanging on, higher wages aren’t their solution. I’ve hired plenty of people from retail or warehouse or food service. They appreciate the freedom of driving without a boss breathing down their neck. That’s not changing anytime soon.