Lmao

CatMan

I hate to agree with Dummy Dano, but FedEx is an entry level job, and Fat Freddy knows and exploits the fact that most of his workers aren’t qualified to do anything besides retail or warehouse work if they leave. However, like most things, this strategy will bite him in the butt. As retail jobs become higher and higher paying, and courier jobs become lower and lower paying, sometime (soon) their wages are going to meet and Fat Freddy will be screwed as people leave in droves. What’s a better job: making $15 an hour to smoke weed behind the Target dumpster or making $15 an hour to spend all day in the broiling sun carrying crates up and down apartment stairs? He’s banking on people wanting “so badly” to work for the greatest company in the world. And once again, that hubris will cost him dearly.
Just a dead on post ! I couldn't agree with you more. ..PS..I saw Alter Bridge front row and they are incredibly amazing!

CatMan

What makes you think retail jobs will be higher paying? Brick and mortar is barely hanging on, higher wages aren’t their solution. I’ve hired plenty of people from retail or warehouse or food service. They appreciate the freedom of driving without a boss breathing down their neck. That’s not changing anytime soon.
Minimum wage will be 15 bucks an hr real soon!

fedx

Extra Large Package
I hate to agree with Dummy Dano, but FedEx is an entry level job, and Fat Freddy knows and exploits the fact that most of his workers aren’t qualified to do anything besides retail or warehouse work if they leave. However, like most things, this strategy will bite him in the butt. As retail jobs become higher and higher paying, and courier jobs become lower and lower paying, sometime (soon) their wages are going to meet and Fat Freddy will be screwed as people leave in droves. What’s a better job: making $15 an hour to smoke weed behind the Target dumpster or making $15 an hour to spend all day in the broiling sun carrying crates up and down apartment stairs? He’s banking on people wanting “so badly” to work for the greatest company in the world. And once again, that hubris will cost him dearly.

I guess it is entry level, but I think of fast food as entry level. Most jobs are entry level when you think about it-customer service jobs, sales jobs, etc. A beginners job that's a stepping stone. FedEx has become like that, but it wasn't that way 30 years ago. It was a career back then. However, UPS is also an entry level job and they pay nearly double what FedEx does. So how can UPS pay their drivers $30+, Danno, if they are an entry level job too?

AB831

Just a dead on post ! I couldn't agree with you more. ..PS..I saw Alter Bridge front row and they are incredibly amazing!
Oh man what a treat! I’ve seen them four times and it’s a killer show every night. They were the last concert I saw before......you know 😢

It will be fine

Minimum wage will be 15 bucks an hr real soon!
And? That changes nothing. Driving is still entry level with few qualifications necessary. Retail will be paying minimum wage, that’s not exactly making those jobs higher paying, they’re still minimum wage jobs. It might be the final stake that drives many brick and mortar stores out of business.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
FedEx supposedly addressed the issue with a better pay system. They had problems in Europe and whoosh, new system put on hold. People work hard for them with expectations, based on what the company has told them, of getting a reasonable pay progression and a reasonable retirement package. Not getting what they were told they'd get after working hard tends to make people angry. But you're always downplaying that as no big deal.

You're the expert, you tell us -- what do you do about expenses when they can't be justified by the revenues?

Must be nice to have a decent, dependable salary but that in no way gives you the right to judge how they feel about it.

LOL, much of the reason behind my salary is because they got rid of a bunch of people.

59 Dano

Yes. It did. Also back then management was there to help us do our jobs and OLCCs were unheard of. You really had to screw up to get written up for anything. I remember my first year doing SFA and they shuttled us to a Marriott hotel to feed us and do the SFA. For the Feedback meeting we were well fed also. Christmas parties used to be a blast at local hotels.
The feel of Express back then was much different than now. There was a lot of teamwork. We were family.

Gosh I can't imagine why they would ever stop doing any of that!

bacha29

You're the expert, you tell us -- what do you do about expenses when they can't be justified by the revenues?

LOL, much of the reason behind my salary is because they got rid of a bunch of people.
They got rid of them because they found a fool like you who will do the job for far less. Your job and theirs all tied together in a single and very economical compensation package.

59 Dano

Well, if you ask @59 Dano we senior people are very unproductive.

And if you ask senior people, they tell you that they're the most productive couriers around just before they pivot and give you a sermon about how senior people aren't as fast as they used to be and it's wrong to expect them to be as productive as young people.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
And if you ask senior people, they tell you that they're the most productive couriers around just before they pivot and give you a sermon about how senior people aren't as fast as they used to be and it's wrong to expect them to be as productive as young people.
Or maybe senior people have figured out they need to work smarter not harder to preserve what is left of their bodies so they’re not crippled by the job. Therefore, they follow all the methods and don’t take shortcuts like the younger people. Or possibly, like me, they DGAF.

vantexan

And in your dog eat dog world just as soon as an employee starts slowing a little you want to get rid of them in spite of decades of faithful service.

59 Dano

Or maybe senior people have figured out they need to work smarter not harder to preserve what is left of their bodies so they’re not crippled by the job. Therefore, they follow all the methods and don’t take shortcuts like the younger people. Or possibly, like me, they DGAF.

I'm betting that you're more of the DGAF type than the other.

vantexan

Maybe be a bit more cautious in your investments taking into account those affected if you eff up. On yeah, FedEx does no wrong in your eyes.