Local 396 and Tentative Agreement

LagunaBrown

So, if the contract is voted down they’re going to come up with a lesser version?

Makes no sense
No, it could get worse it could get better. It’s a gamble. Some regions maybe it’s worth it but here a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Meaning it’s not a worth the risk.

Last edited:

panchovilla

Typical lame reply. I bet your not even in our region trolling for a No vote. Listen here, in our area YOU are selling out the unborn and the actives by not getting them the uncapped retiree healthcare. We already have a two tier driver since Ron Carey in 1997 and the 22.4 language improves it. Starting wage is going to $15 dollars per hour and Healthcare is gonna start at 9 months instead of 12. Top driver rate to $41 dollars by he end of the contract. $445 dollar a week is paid by UPS for a full timers healthcare and full time drivers / 22.4's (if work 2080 hours) will get $129,000 dollars into their pension over the life of the contract. GTFO and we are uplifting the unborn!

Im from 396 and for whats Fair. Even if it doesn’t make sense in the contarct. ill take it up to Jay himself and discuss any issues. That is how open policy we are here in 396.
Did you not pay attention to why im a no vote! I did say its a “good” contract but it can be improved. Combination driver is an upgrade from our cover drivers. Uncapped retiree is the best deal, but the set is perfect to get more than what is being agrred on.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
We have to wait for the supplement to get released to take a look. Based on what happened last contract they had to sweeten the health care or most local officials would be voted out. Still the master agreement has to be shot down so we'll see what happens at the meeting next week. This ain't no combo deal for a yes vote.

LagunaBrown

Im from 396 and for whats Fair. Even if it doesn’t make sense in the contarct. ill take it up to Jay himself and discuss any issues. That is how open policy we are here in 396.
Did you not pay attention to why im a no vote! I did say its a “good” contract but it can be improved. Combination driver is an upgrade from our cover drivers. Uncapped retiree is the best deal, but the set is perfect to get more than what is being agrred on.
I know your doing the research, that message was for the other guy. After the meeting give a Follow up.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The Master is going to be voted down the first time and most of the supplements also. A case of history would be just looking at the vote from the last one (it pasted by only 4,000 votes nationally)(Most of the supplements went down on the first try). I pray that the voter percentage will be high enough to prevent any shenanigans by the International, they tend to cut and run when cornered.

The threat of the second offer being less monetary is typical bullying by both parties, they been doing it for so long that it is second nature for them, they see no wrong in it. They will use the freight contract as a poster child of what could happen if you are not a good teamster or a team player. It is coming, just wait..

LagunaBrown is just looking out for Number One as most of of us in the rank and file. We been kicked around for so long that we forgot why Unions were created in the first place. In case we forgot it was to have every rank and file enjoy the same wages and retirement benefits or at least increase them with every contract..This contract does not do this, favoring the few at the expense of the many.

LagunaBrown

LagunaBrown is just looking out for Number One as most of of us in the rank and file. We been kicked around for so long that we forgot why Unions were created in the first place. In case we forgot it was to have every rank and file enjoy the same wages and retirement benefits or at least increase them with every contract..This contract does not do this, favoring the few at the expense of the many.
if you havent figured it out many issues are regional in this contract. Your idea that everything is the same across the board takes away from the sovereignty of a local union to bargain individualy for its members issues and just plain unrealistic.
Is it also lame to say voting on my regions retiree healthcare is only loooking out for number 1? What happen to taking care of the ones that have taken care of us? It’s an incredible deal if you think about it. A 500,000 Lifetime cap or unlimited cap on retiree healthcare WILL save many Teamster from losing their pension, home and 401k due to an illness. Maybe your just too young to get It but that vote is not for number one. It’s for my friends, their family and my families protection. Just out of curiosity, I walked the line in 1997 and walked on other Teamster lines as well. Have you?

Last edited:

LagunaBrown

63 years old, 41 years teamster..Walked every day in "97".:dots:
Then you know the importance of retiree medical getting voted on by the actives. Retirees don’t get to vote on the contract but their medical depends on it till 65. Missing an opportunity like this would be a terrible shame. Your close to 65 and it’s not an issue for you but here lots of guys retire at their peer 80 and that is as early as 49 years old. It’s not the same UPS it use to be before Orion. Most guys want out early here.

Last edited:

Then you know the importance of retiree medical getting voted on by the actives. Retirees don’t get to vote on the contract but their medical depends on it till 65. Missing an opportunity like this would be a terrible shame. Your probably close to 65 and not an issue but here lots of guys retire at their peer 80 and that is as early as 49 years old.
Very few get their peer 80 @ age 49. 51+ much more common.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Then you know the importance of retiree medical getting voted on by the actives. Retirees don’t get to vote on the contract but their medical depends on it till 65. Missing an opportunity like this would be a terrible shame. Your close to 65 and it’s not an issue for you but here lots of guys retire at their peer 80 and that is as early as 49 years old. It’s not the same UPS it use to be before Orion. Most guys want out early here.

I fully understand your reasoning. I am under the Central and we truly kicked our retirees to the curve with their increased Pension co-pays, they should of been red circled and kept at the level that they were paying at Retirement.

I said this before if we the other conferences had anywhere close to the West's retirement benefits this situation that we are heading into would be a moot point.

Very few get their peer 80 @ age 49. 51+ much more common.

In the Central most of us are looking at the possibility of working way past 60. Last contract I lost ground considering the increased retiree Health and Welfare charges, the part timer lost ground and in this one will loose more.

cachmeifucan

If you don't know why it's good in the Southwest Package Rider you really need to go to the contract meeting..... Have you noticed there are no other replies here because everyone knows we have great protection in our Supplements and Riders.
Protection who you kidding ups doesn't care about the contract or language they never abide by it. So what makes you think they won't violate it whenever they want. No monetary repercussions