Make-Up Raise $1.35

blakerben

Ill be at UPS for 9 years in September. My first year I loaded, then switched to sorting to get the $1 raise. New hires here at our hub start at $10/hr or $11/hr if skilled. I have a time to think about things when I’m sorting by myself, and one of the things about this new proposed contract (there are a few) that keep rubbing me the wrong way is how people that have been here a very short time are going to get $1.35 higher raise than I am. Lets say you have a new hire that is an unloader/loader that’s been here a few months, which we have a lot of actually, well they are currently making $10/hr and are going to get a $3 raise if the contract passes. Then, by the end of the contract they will be at 15.50. That’s a $5.50 raise. Whereas I will be getting a $4.15 raise leaving a $1.35 gap. I feel part timers in my situation should get at least get the same $5.50 raise.

Days

Yup. That's the worst part. I disagree with the 5.50 raise part in your post but increasing the starting wage by 5.50 and not giving any kind of catch up raise to current part timers( should be a 1.00-1.50) destroys incentive.

If it makes you feel better, part timers hired under the new contract will NEVER make more than a new hire

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Ill be at UPS for 9 years in September. My first year I loaded, then switched to sorting to get the $1 raise. New hires here at our hub start at $10/hr or $11/hr if skilled. I have a time to think about things when I’m sorting by myself, and one of the things about this new proposed contract (there are a few) that keep rubbing me the wrong way is how people that have been here a very short time are going to get $1.35 higher raise than I am. Lets say you have a new hire that is an unloader/loader that’s been here a few months, which we have a lot of actually, well they are currently making $10/hr and are going to get a $3 raise if the contract passes. Then, by the end of the contract they will be at 15.50. That’s a $5.50 raise. Whereas I will be getting a $4.15 raise leaving a $1.35 gap. I feel part timers in my situation should get at least get the same $5.50 raise.
You should only get .25 cent and a butt whooping

Time for change

Current part timers getting screwed sweetie! On top of that if you’re currently unskilled, they are going to call you skilled now but not give you the dollar. So 3 years from now when I’m sorting again and working next to someone with the same seniority date, doing the same job, I’ll be making a dollar less. Does that make sense? Did low IQ DT really think that one through? All current non skilled part timers should also get an extra dollar.

blakerben

As a side note, our BA showed up during our shift last week on break to tell people they should vote yes on the contract because of the awesome raise and the full time combo driving jobs that will be available. I was working thru break so I didn’t hear him personally, only what a new hire sorter told me about it. When I asked that sorter if the BA told him that if he became a 22.4 driver he would have to work weekends, his jaw dropped and he said he did not tell us that part at all and that sucks because he has family and couldn’t work weekends. And another sorter I talked to said our BA told him that the GWI would be $4.80. But it states in the proposed Southern Region that it’s $4.15. So either our BA is lying or the sorter misheard him. Regardless, It sounds to me like our BA only said things that sounded positive in order to get people to vote yes and he obviously wants it passed. So going to him and telling him my resistance to the new contract would probably be a waste of time.

And as far as the voting goes, I have my concerns there as well. The turn over rate at our hub is astounding. There are around 35 sorters on my shift. And when I look up and down the sort isle, I can only see 5-6 sorters that have been there long enough to be above the $13/hr rate. The majority hover around 1 year or less. That means nearly 30 out of the 35 would get a substantial raise. I’ve noticed a similar trend with the unloaders. If this is how it is across the country, all they would have to do to get this passed is convince enough of those huge numbers of new hires to vote yes by telling them how much of a raise they’ll be getting and that they can move to full time with the 22.4 jobs.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Then you know I'm not afraid to stand up for myself and other. Lots of people know who I am because of that lack of fear. I bet all you do is post on hear where nobody knows who you are. Go troll someone else.
What are you exactly standing up for.