management layoffs

Bagel

Twilight Supervisor
We were just casually talking about the what if of management layoffs and it was said theyd go by seniority company wise so with 2 years suping and a year and a couple months as union would put me in line as like 8th out of 28 pt sups, id figured theyd go by some sort of performance based layoffs

We're being strictly rated on performance. If an area is unproductive the pt supervisor responsible for that area basically has no job security.

stringerman85

They wont cut that much management. We have a lot of ownership in the company, and we actually care about the well-being of the company. We now have frozen salaries, no 401K match, and more than likely we wont get our half month or our MIP, and what did we do the next day after getting that news??? We showed up to work just like every other day. What would more than likely happen if they did that to the union employees??? A strike??? A massive work slowdown??? Bottom line is we will do whatever it takes to keep this company a float. The same cannot be said for the union employees....

HAHAHA that's so funny.....I'm so sorry that you sold your soul to the company and now you have to live with it....Nice comment by the way, Us teamsters have self pride, Unlike you management, You will let the company smack you around and all you will do is keep your tail between your legs. You knew that before going into management.....Hey, They don't care about you!!!!!!! You are no more special then any of the union employees in the building

stringerman85

I hear what your saying Red but Ill use drivers as an example theyre the face of the company, sorters being dishonest will involve the customer generally more then a supervisor being dishonest BY NO MEANS am I justifying it, just the reality why UPS is so hard up on it.

How can a sorter be dishonest??? Towards a customer?? Lol....

A sorter can be sh-tty sorter, But the only dishonesty would be their pay....And that would be towards the company

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
They wont cut that much management. We have a lot of ownership in the company, and we actually care about the well-being of the company. We now have frozen salaries, no 401K match, and more than likely we wont get our half month or our MIP, and what did we do the next day after getting that news??? We showed up to work just like every other day. What would more than likely happen if they did that to the union employees??? A strike??? A massive work slowdown??? Bottom line is we will do whatever it takes to keep this company a float. The same cannot be said for the union employees....

BT have you worked for the company long?

I hope your right about not cutting much management, but there is some fat in some spots that needs trimming. I would think they will give the older managers some real motivation to retire early, and not replace them with new hires but move other managers around bit instead.

You must a have good amount of pride for the company and for your fellow management team to give up so much for the well-being of the company. There are Union employees that care about the well-being of the company, too. The difference is your sacrifice is dictated to you and the unions is negotiated and agreed to by both sides. It is easier to dictate than to negotiate.

Did you really have much of a choice, but to come to work the next day? If you didn't you would have been fired. It would have only saved them decision of which manager to get rid of next. The union employees have the advantage of being a single bargain unit, and locked into a contract until July 31, 2013 for good or bad. If the company's profit went sky high, the union employees wages would not have been any more than what's stated in the contract. Both management and union employees want to see large profits for UPS, it makes for a better contract in 2013, but if the company can't stay a float everyone's ship is sunk.

stringerman85

BT have you worked for the company long?

I hope your right about not cutting much management, but there is some fat in some spots that needs trimming. I would think they will give the older managers some real motivation to retire early, and not replace them with new hires but move other managers around bit instead.

You must a have good amount of pride for the company and for your fellow management team to give up so much for the well-being of the company. There are Union employees that care about the well-being of the company, too. The difference is your sacrifice is dictated to you and the unions is negotiated and agreed to by both sides. It is easier to dictate than to negotiate.

Did you really have much of a choice, but to come to work the next day? If you didn't you would have been fired. It would have only saved them decision of which manager to get rid of next. The union employees have the advantage of being a single bargain unit, and locked into a contract until July 31, 2013 for good or bad. If the company's profit went sky high, the union employees wages would not have been any more than what's stated in the contract. Both management and union employees want to see large profits for UPS, it makes for a better contract in 2013, but if the company can't stay a float everyone's ship is sunk.

Very good post.....I didn't feel like he deserved a friendly response to what he said

I think he is out of line by saying we don't keep the company afloat when we're the majority in the work force, We're the ones greeting customers and bringing in new business. How dare he make himself feel like he's more important and more efficient than we are.

I think our contract that was finalized last year was part of our "economy cut" We took cuts in almost every category in the contract, including wages, rasies etc...our part has already been done

And hey, I showed up to work the next day.........jerkoff

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
He just took a hit in the old pocket book for the company. I sure most of us in his shoes wouldn't like either. It only natural to feel that it isn't fair, and that everyone in the company should help carry the load. I think that was point he was trying to get across.

How can a sorter be dishonest??? Towards a customer?? Lol....

A sorter can be sh-tty sorter, But the only dishonesty would be their pay....And that would be towards the company
When a sorter, steals something out of a package, it effects the customer in a negative way.
A sorters pay is a dirty rotten shame, but it isn't dishonest.

stringerman85

He just took a hit in the old pocket book for the company. I sure most of us in his shoes wouldn't like either. It only natural to feel that it isn't fair, and that everyone in the company should help carry the load. I think that was point he was trying to get across.

It really is a shame that it came down to them not getting raises, don't get me wrong, I do feel bad about it....Hopefully everything turns around and it doesn't get worse for them or any of us

stringerman85

When a sorter, steals something out of a package, it effects the customer in a negative way.
A sorters pay is a dirty rotten shame, but it isn't dishonest.

As would a supervisor stealing stuff, Happened more than a few times at my building.....And they were canned...So if a sorter gets extra time he didn't earn, Does nothing about it, But then complains when his time is 5 minutes short, That's not being dishonest?

As would a supervisor stealing stuff, Happened more than a few times at my building.....And they were canned...So if a sorter gets extra time he didn't earn, Does nothing about it, But then complains when his time is 5 minutes short, That's not being dishonest?

You said"
But the only dishonesty would be their pay....And that would be towards the company

I wasn't talking about being shorted on time and ^ post didn't mention shortage of time. If the company intentionally shorts a worker on their time that is dishonest, on the comapny's part. If the company makes a mistake in the workers favor and he doesn't report it, that too is dishonest, on the workers part.

When I said the pay was a shame but not dishonest, I was referring to the hourly wage.

Hedley_Lamarr

will ups lay off any management to reduce cost?

No, management will lay off full time drivers....LIKE ME.:angry: This 3:15AM till 7:15AM, then 5:30 till 9:30PM B-S is killing me. Last night I unloaded five trailers, one of which was a trailer of ice melt. Who the hell ships ice melt UPS?!?! I thought driving was tough on your body, man I've never been so sore in my life....

tieguy

Banned
Very good post.....I didn't feel like he deserved a friendly response to what he said
I think he is out of line by saying we don't keep the company afloat when we're the majority in the work force, We're the ones greeting customers and bringing in new business. How dare he make himself feel like he's more important and more efficient than we are.

The point he made was one of committment. The fact remains that management are owners of the business. As the business goes so goes our compensation. Your union has fully divested itself from the companies success. They have the h&W money going to the union. pension free of the company. A total collapse at ups would not hurt current unioin monies it would of course hurt future financial flow. Thus your stake as he stated in this company is not as locked in as ours. As owners we lose everything if the business folds.

I think our contract that was finalized last year was part of our "economy cut" We took cuts in almost every category in the contract, including wages, rasies etc...our part has already been done

And hey, I showed up to work the next day.........jerkoff

your contract was not a cut but increased your earnings substantially in a time when many, many others are either losing their jobs or taking pay cuts. You need to pick up a newpaper or turn on a news show and see what it going on in the real world. Perhaps a little less jerking off and a little more self education is required here?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Bottom line is we will do whatever it takes to keep this company a float. The same cannot be said for the union employees....

In my experience you are the one that is drilling a hole in the floor of the boat, while its the employees that are bailing out bucket loads of water keeping the company a float!

No, management will lay off full time drivers....LIKE ME.:angry: This 3:15AM till 7:15AM, then 5:30 till 9:30PM B-S is killing me. Last night I unloaded five trailers, one of which was a trailer of ice melt. Who the hell ships ice melt UPS?!?! I thought driving was tough on your body, man I've never been so sore in my life....

Driving is the easiest job at UPS.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
The point he made was one of committment.
The fact remains that management are owners of the business. As the business goes so goes our compensation. Your union has fully divested itself from the companies success. They have the h&W money going to the union. pension free of the company. A total collapse at ups would not hurt current unioin monies it would of course hurt future financial flow. Thus your stake as he stated in this company is not as locked in as ours. As owners we lose everything if the business folds.
As in the chicken is only involved in making the breakfast of eggs and ham but the pig is committed.

Anyone can buy stock and be a owner of UPS.

The first rule in investing for your future is to diversify your portfolio.

I see the point, if you have everything tied up into the company then you do have more to loose, but we all have our futures at stake.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

no no, 8 hours in the hub is easy. Most of the drivers say so and how much harder they work, so it must be true :)

bones

Driving is the easiest job at UPS.

I agree with you 1989, I have 23 years, 3 p/t hrly, 4 pt/sup, 6 mos driving, friend/t sup in all operations except air or feeders, manager in 4 operations. I don't see how the people that negotiated the contract sleep at night. I know there are those who say that we that have been around earned it and the new people have to also, but when most of us started years ago it was $8.00/hr with benifits. I know and all those who negotiated the contract know what we expect yet they think it is ok to give them this compensation package, I don't agree. The contract steals from the poor to give to the rich or mayby I should say much more fortunate.

stringerman85

your contract was not a cut but increased your earnings substantially in a time when many, many others are either losing their jobs or taking pay cuts. You need to pick up a newpaper or turn on a news show and see what it going on in the real world. Perhaps a little less jerking off and a little more self education is required here?

Our newest contract is probably the poorest it has been ever in the company...But it's a little more understandable considering our bad economy, That's what I mean by cut...There were issues on the contract that were a "loss" compared to other years....