management layoffs

rocket man

to brown tail 28 B S most managment are scabs who were union who crossed lines in the past managent lies more than any one in company.maybe not in coprate but at a local level.

mason575

haha..I will never part with my turkey coupon. The coupon itself is worth way more than the turkey. I will be able to whip that thing out years from now and show my workmates and get a great laugh. I like to refer to as The Gratitude Raincheck..It will go right next to my 2009 calender. Thats a whole new post there.

mnnice

to brown tail 28 B S most managment are scabs who were union who crossed lines in the past managent lies more than any one in company.maybe not in coprate but at a local level.
Just remember that a management person once hired you and you thought it was a good idea, but maybe they lied.:sad-very:

Channahon

So here we go again. UPS management is not worth anything, but Union employees keep the company afloat.

Well, who do you think makes all the business decisions regarding new services, upgrades in technology, acquisitions of other companies, and the global market? That would be a team of management people at the top, who have the foresight to position UPS as a global organization, providing first class service to our customers.

UPS is a union company, and as such, has the highest paid service providers, regardless if you are in package, hub, feeders, air, automotive or plant engineering. And let's not forget our non union administrative employees who make a contribution to UPS as well.

UPS has also been streamling management since the 90's with consolidations of regions and districts globally as well. So is UPS top heavy in management, after 2 buyouts, retiree positions being evaluated and possibly not being replaced at the same level of management, I don't think so.

Imagine any company that did not have management, and a group of employees running the company. Who takes the leadership role to ensure accountability to the end user? Be it a customer or product.

Someone needs to be at the top of an organization, have the foresight and knowledge to adjust to economic conditions, to stay profitable.

And we haven't seen the worst of this recession yet, according to financial analysts. So can management be laid off, anything is possible, but keep in mind volume dictates the number of jobs available for all UPSer's and everyone is at risk. JMO

chopstic

Driving is the easiest job at UPS.

Driving may not be the easiest job here at UPS, but lets face it... none of the crap we do here at UPS is hard. ANY human being born with 2 arms and legs can do what we do. The hard part is dealing with the complete monotony of brown box after brown box after brown box..... it NEVER ends!

705red

Browncafe Steward
So here we go again. UPS management is not worth anything, but Union employees keep the company afloat.

Well, who do you think makes all the business decisions regarding new services, upgrades in technology, acquisitions of other companies, and the global market? That would be a team of management people at the top, who have the foresight to position UPS as a global organization, providing first class service to our customers.
Are you talking about the same group that overpaid for overnite?
That brought us the wonderful pass/edd?
That think its easier to send drivers home and work everyone else 12 hours?
That are spending millions on telematics, but cant put in a 3 point seat belt?
That created ths "sales lead"?
I could go on for ever, but never would i use the word foresight! lol

Catatonic

Nine Lives

How about foreplay?

Channahon

Yes, I am, as I have seen the changes over the years. from Germany and Canada, to covering over 275 countries and territories globally. Sometimes, we need to take off the blinders in our individual areas of operations to see how UPS evolved into a global organization.

If UPS stayed as it was in 1978, when I started, we would be out of business by now. Second day air only, no next day air, no international, no hundredweight, no UPS freight, no Supply Chain Solutions, no Mail Innovations, and every other value added service UPS has to offer to their customers, to provide their business needs.

You have your union perspective of the company, I have both the union and management perspective, which is the UPS of today.

So what you see as inadequcies in the company, I see as foresight to continue to grow the businesss, both domestically and internationally.

Last edited:

atatbl

lmao.... Finally.... I could not a make failure to comprehend anymore apparent.... You post this while in the same thread posting about UPS showing 5 billion in profit..... Pick one side or the other... Wait, never mind, just tell us all you or any union brother could do better so we can just get the laugh out of the way. I can see why you are upset with what is happening to you locally. However, your stance that UPS management is not in the top echelon in the country/world is laughable. Even the most biased in opinions of management would understand that the numbers speak for themselves.

Learn how to create a basic LOGICAL argument and then come back to hype us up.

browniehound

Driving may not be the easiest job here at UPS, but lets face it... none of the crap we do here at UPS is hard. ANY human being born with 2 arms and legs can do what we do. The hard part is dealing with the complete monotony of brown box after brown box after brown box..... it NEVER ends!

You may be correct Chopstic that any idiot can be a UPS driver. You're right, any idiot can be a UPS driver. Any idiot can graduate college also. I've read that someone with the IQ of 80 can earn BA.

The issue becomes how good of a college graduate the "IQ 80" person becomes.

I really believe it takes a certain person to be a good UPS driver. Most of us are really good at what we do. The standards management holds us to helps create the best drivers in the industry.

Obviously there are the few proverbial bad apples. I think the same applies to management. I think the ones in control at the top are doing a very good job.

When you consider everything (the economy, the competition, energy prices, etc.) I think they have done a good job in steering the UPS ship. I don't know the details or results of the Overnight acquisition but I know this: I hear about layoffs everyday.

Every company I can think of is laying off employees. As far as I know, UPS hasn't put anyone on the street. Drivers may have been knocked back into the building but they still have a job. All this while still recieving a raise on Febuary 1st.

Count your lucky stars UPSers!

redshift1

You may be correct Chopstic that any idiot can be a UPS driver. You're right, any idiot can be a UPS driver. Any idiot can graduate college also. I've read that someone with the IQ of 80 can earn BA.

The issue becomes how good of a college graduate the "IQ 80" person becomes.

I really believe it takes a certain person to be a good UPS driver. Most of us are really good at what we do. The standards management holds us to helps create the best drivers in the industry.

Obviously there are the few proverbial bad apples. I think the same applies to management. I think the ones in control at the top are doing a very good job.

When you consider everything (the economy, the competition, energy prices, etc.) I think they have done a good job in steering the UPS ship. I don't know the details or results of the Overnight acquisition but I know this: I hear about layoffs everyday.

Every company I can think of is laying off employees. As far as I know, UPS hasn't put anyone on the street. Drivers may have been knocked back into the building but they still have a job. All this while still recieving a raise on Febuary 1st.

Count your lucky stars UPSers!

No one with an IQ of 80 could earn a BA. Someone with an IQ of 80 has trouble following simple instructions. There are many infamous examples
of parents who sent their less than average offspring to be awarded a degree based on the parents political or financial influence.
Listen to GWB talk and then explain how he graduated from Yale.

CRASH501

We can sit all day & night and have this nice long argument of union vs mgmt but it is what it is . We the union workers show up every & day do our job and go home . We do what has to be done to make management look good ( phone rings its my supervisor , hey those 2 offroutes you have uhmm they are bad addresses. My answer gee thats funny because as a cover driver i recall delivering to that location . His answer no your mistaken you dant have propper area knowledge ) yeah thats real good for the customer huh !!! Now you get a d3 concern posted to your record when the customer calls the 800 # with a complaint . And this goes on in every center i dont wanna hear you say different . Management will cut so many corners to fudge numbers its a freaking disgrace. But the 1 poor shmuck that flags a package & is caught is humiliated. Just keep saying ....i love my job , i love my job , i love my job . Someday you might convince yourself. This is not the same compant that hired me 7 years ago . It's the pitts

upsgrunt

UPS is a union company, and as such, has the highest paid service providers, regardless if you are in package, hub, feeders, air, automotive or plant engineering. And let's not forget our non union administrative employees who make a contribution to UPS as well.

UPS has also been streamling management since the 90's with consolidations of regions and districts globally as well. So is UPS top heavy in management, after 2 buyouts, retiree positions being evaluated and possibly not being replaced at the same level of management, I don't think so.

Imagine any company that did not have management, and a group of employees running the company. Who takes the leadership role to ensure accountability to the end user? Be it a customer or product.

Someone needs to be at the top of an organization, have the foresight and knowledge to adjust to economic conditions, to stay profitable.

And we haven't seen the worst of this recession yet, according to financial analysts. So can management be laid off, anything is possible, but keep in mind volume dictates the number of jobs available for all UPSer's and everyone is at risk. JMO

Chan-
I pretty much agree with you, but I have to point something out that really bugs me.
How come almost every press release from Ups about our drivers must include the words: "highest paid"? And now you include them in your response.
We never hear "hardest working", always "highest paid".
Sorry to rant, but that has always bugged me.

Steve

mnnice

Chan-
I pretty much agree with you, but I have to point something out that really bugs me.
How come almost every press release from Ups about our drivers must include the words: "highest paid"? And now you include them in your response.
We never hear "hardest working", always "highest paid".
Sorry to rant, but that has always bugged me.

Steve
UPSgrunt,
I agree with you that we shouldn't always put the phrase "highest paid" because it gives the shippers leverage to go somewhere cheaper for there shipping needs. If I was a shipper and saw this all the time, I would definitely look for cheapier results for my money. Does that say something about the truth in the statement "highest paid"?

Channahon

I think the general public knows UPS drivers are "the highest paid in the industry" as that phrase has been used in the media, particularly during contract negotiation years.

And I do think the public knows our drivers "are the hardest working in the industry" as well. UPS realizes our drivers are the company's best resource in communicating and reprsenting UPS with our customers, and our drivers are compensated accordingly.

browniehound

No one with an IQ of 80 could earn a BA. Someone with an IQ of 80 has trouble following simple instructions. There are many infamous examples
of parents who sent their less than average offspring to be awarded a degree based on the parents political or financial influence.
Listen to GWB talk and then explain how he graduated from Yale.

Redshift, you may be correct and never meant to state the IQ of 80 line as fact. It was actually my college writting II professor that made the statement. It was so long ago he may have said a higher number. Whatever the number was he proceded to say that the person with that IQ was "about as bright as a lamp at noon". His point was just because you earn a 4-year degree, it doesn't mean you are smart.

I know its fiction, but didn't "Forrest Gump" graduate from college? LOL.

705red

Browncafe Steward
lmao.... Finally.... I could not a make failure to comprehend anymore apparent.... You post this while in the same thread posting about UPS showing 5 billion in profit..... Pick one side or the other... Wait, never mind, just tell us all you or any union brother could do better so we can just get the laugh out of the way. I can see why you are upset with what is happening to you locally. However, your stance that UPS management is not in the top echelon in the country/world is laughable. Even the most biased in opinions of management would understand that the numbers speak for themselves.

Learn how to create a basic LOGICAL argument and then come back to hype us up.
Im pretty sure i made a good argument. Why dont we have 3 point seat belts?
The company wants to be known as the safest around, yet they are replacing our current seat belts with the new telematics, but not upgrading?

Why does the current sales lead program still cost us customers because it does not work?

Why would the company pay overtime and triple time to over work drivers, while you have lower paid junior drivers at home on daily layoffs, so they still receive pension and benefits?

So instead of running on foaming at the mouth, maybe explain or debate/counter my opinion!

Your turn!

redshift1

Redshift, you may be correct and never meant to state the IQ of 80 line as fact. It was actually my college writting II professor that made the statement. It was so long ago he may have said a higher number. Whatever the number was he proceded to say that the person with that IQ was "about as bright as a lamp at noon". His point was just because you earn a 4-year degree, it doesn't mean you are smart.

I know its fiction, but didn't "Forrest Gump" graduate from college? LOL.

One of my friends from school turned on his gas stove and came back ten minutes later and tried to light it with a match. Just some singed hair and a red face but a good example of book smart and no common sense. That's who your professor was talking about.

Last edited: