FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Prior year was seasonal. Yes, mgr. is using gps, delivering pkgs, and opening cargo doors. They do not know the area either. However, with them navigating we are getting there quick, but it is still not enough to get what they consider scratch.
Sounds like your manager wants you to qualify, but you're not giving him enough

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Prior year was seasonal. Yes, mgr. is using gps, delivering pkgs, and opening cargo doors. They do not know the area either. However, with them navigating we are getting there quick, but it is still not enough to get what they consider scratch.

What you did as a seasonal makes no difference what you are doing while trying to qualify. Refer to my first post...

Ironhawk

Sounds like your manager wants you to qualify, but you're not giving him enough
Giving them what? I work as long as I have to, to finish route. Work Saturdays, what else do they want part of my check? Seriously though, how can they expect a person to learn a route when it has changed to totally new areas every day? They fill the truck up so full, it is loaded to the top even where you are supposed to walk. They are so full you have to cram the doors shut. I understand not getting scratch on a set route, but on a route that has totally new rural neighborhoods, and this time of year at night is seemingly not possible. I have gotten close, but many of these areas have businesses way out the middle of no where you have to drop everything for. I dunno, I will keep at it, I am a hard worker and I am determined. If they fire me, they have lost a dedicated employee, that likes to work hard.

Ironhawk

As for lunch, I run alot of rural areas. I snack on the long drives in between. Why should I take a lunch when I do not need to? I had rather get finished with my route than take a lunch. When and if I make it full time I will still not want to take my lunch. Would much rather spend that time with my wife and kids that setting somewhere on the side of the road or at the center.

Faceplanted

Giving them what? I work as long as I have to, to finish route. Work Saturdays, what else do they want part of my check? Seriously though, how can they expect a person to learn a route when it has changed to totally new areas every day? They fill the truck up so full, it is loaded to the top even where you are supposed to walk. They are so full you have to cram the doors shut. I understand not getting scratch on a set route, but on a route that has totally new rural neighborhoods, and this time of year at night is seemingly not possible. I have gotten close, but many of these areas have businesses way out the middle of no where you have to drop everything for. I dunno, I will keep at it, I am a hard worker and I am determined. If they fire me, they have lost a dedicated employee, that likes to work hard.
Millennial?

Does ups owe you something? What you are describing is what many drivers deal with every single day. Buck up

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
As for lunch, I run alot of rural areas. I snack on the long drives in between. Why should I take a lunch when I do not need to? I had rather get finished with my route than take a lunch. When and if I make it full time I will still not want to take my lunch. Would much rather spend that time with my wife and kids that setting somewhere on the side of the road or at the center.
7487D331-3D28-490C-9C2D-699902AE48CE.jpeg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The more you drive, the smoother you should be getting on methods. I don't see how anybody can qualify running trash routes every day. Normally a new driver will be on a specified training route while trying to qualify. During this time of the year, the company seems to get away with about anything.

Faceplanted

The more you drive, the smoother you should be getting on methods. I don't see how anybody can qualify running trash routes every day. Normally a new driver will be on a specified training route while trying to qualify. During this time of the year, the company seems to get away with about anything.
When I was unassigned I used to be able to burn up split routes. Even blind. They are usually strictly residential and rack up miles driving from one area to another

Imho business heavy routes that are very hand cart involved are the hardest to run scratch on. Every area is different, I'm speaking strictly from experience at my building

Ironhawk

That is what I thought. Things do go smoother when you learn a route. They keep changing it on me, and expect me to just slam dunk it. Gets dark early, and in the country, many dirt roads, long drive ways etc. I know other drivers that do the same exact route every day, not sure why they are giving me hell. The manager that rides with me does not know the routes. Hell, both of us are running to houses, and still cannot get done on time. I feel like this split route is not a good one for hitting scratch. I don't mind the changing routes and learning new ones, but if I am trying to make scratch though, it is not a good one for that.

Ironhawk

You can practice tennis every day. Some people can pick it up pretty fast, other never pick it up.

Honestly this job is not for everybody.
I agree with that, but shouldn't new drivers be put on a route that is similar every day? I think this split route combines about 4 or 5 other routes. I had a totally new area to hit, in the country at night last Thursday. It was a beast. Not to mention those business you have never been to that are closed because you thought they were residential s. Hell, never been there before, how are we supposed to know this stuff? Even studying maps of what I thought would be the route I run are out then window when you come in that day, and discover they have put totally new areas on you. Like I mentioned before I do not mind running new routes, but it does not seem like I can run stuff like this and make scratch.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

Hey, don't copy FedEx Home Delivery methods; that is what I do on my rural route!

I do agree that you're getting set up to fail when you & that sup can't take that lunch to sort your cargo for the rest of the day. & even with his help, you can't scratch that route... target on your back? Terrible time to try to qualify as daylight savings time ended a week ago & it's only going to get darker

when I see the new brownie drivers in my route, the sup always carry that tablet with all the stops for the day already mapped out

W

What The Hawk?

I quit reading at "no lunch", not only should you be DQ'd for not taking you're lunch, but if you are over allowed without taking one then you aren't cut out for driving.
Yes, definitely take your lunch. There's been two huge lawsuits about drivers working on an unpaid lunch and thats why you MUST take a lunch. However i was also told to work through my lunch until my 30 is up.