New union contract - package handlers

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Give a dedicated scanner to loaders. Heck I'd settle for one per each side of the belt. It's beyond me why they don't just get a couple devices and have them signed off for by people. We usually get it once and if we don't hurry up we are hurting people down the line who wanna load.

Our preload today was 2 drivers, 3 belt guys, a surepost and they called in the other surepost dude. Had cover drivers loading cars.

If we had 5 to 7 minutes per car and a scanner, a scanner, and reliable preload I bet you we would. I do four cars every day 0-2 weekly average of misloads.

For the most part have you noticed your misloads to be scanned badly? I get some where I ask myself, why am I working for less than a guy who can't run a small device over a box. If UPS cleaned them and gave ink for them I'm sure it'd be better. 44 misloads friday, 38 were my belt, mostly from random workers being called over to load stacks of open, no HIN, or crushed and just throwing boxes in as supes yell. That's usually the last 5 to 8 minutes we get.
you had that many misloads with scanners

Sorry I edited my post. My Internet is weird so when I get the chance I post and go back and edit. We get one go with a scanner at the end of the day for all our cars. Every loader gets one shot with it. But they're also OK to add last minute cuts when some cars are gone and some just had their bulks loaded.

And yeah 40-60 average upwards of 90 on a terrible day. 75% is from the people working around me, and I know for sure it's not the 2 girls been doing the same cars 5+ years and I know it ain't me so why can't people do this?

The guy across from me today got handed a cut and he threw it back at the guy. Both cars had already left. Why aren't we getting huge cuts sooner? Why doesn't air show up on time? Why in the world are drivers wrapping at 10? Nobody gets paid enough. If I was working at Walmart I would've already gotten a raise at better pay.

We had a little bigger than normal load today. 0330am to 0830. Then they paid a couple of us as skeleton crew for 90 minutes until they said forget it. Because "nobody knows where air is".

Must be the loaders right?

We would've wrapped by 730-745.

Three drivers in preload got paid 90 minutes to stand around. That easily could've been, for starters, a better wage in that first hour and a half than what people make in a day. Our whole belt could be paid better. If they're using 4.5h driver pay to stand around, and fifteen hours, why in the world can't starting pay be higher? Start at 10.25, give them 11 at their 30 and 12.5 when they get seniority. All that wasted money but we can't get a buck or two.. give me a break.

Unload gets a buck extra, they should be making 12.50, and right out the gate loaders should start at 12 if you wanna skip increasing pay in increments during qualification.

They gave us 5 cent raises because the minimum wage isn't high enough. It's not even a living at 40 hours for a single person in basically a closet turned loft, and they'd be on food stamps and energy assistance with a free cell phone at your expense.

UPS thinks some guy off the street will do those loads just as well, and built to order. UPS seems to think so. There's 12 very angry drivers right now from long timers just realizing they've wasted a few years of their raises, and a law got them more pay - not their employer - and UPS is gonna care fukkall.

And yeah 40-60 average upwards of 90 on a terrible day. 75% is from the people working around me, and I know for sure it's not the 2 girls been doing the same cars 5+ years and I know it ain't me so why can't people do this?

The guy across from me today got handed a cut and he threw it back at the guy. Both cars had already left. Why aren't we getting huge cuts sooner? Why doesn't air show up on time? Why in the world are drivers wrapping at 10? Nobody gets paid enough. If I was working at Walmart I would've already gotten a raise at better pay.
At least here you have a chance to become a driver and make a god wage.

4 of our last 5 drivers failed and 2 quit. One wasn't going back to scanning and I guess this guy was heartbroken and failed his dream or something and moved on.

There's only three or four people above me that want it and are pursuing it. I've been talking to some drivers lately and my loads are great and my unload is great (despite it being a whole new monster). People are saying 6 months to driver but it's likely a year. I know I'm getting out of the building, but people who stay will just keep getting screwed and quitting and rinse and repeat! Two new hires are MIA since Friday when I was off. JFC.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We had a little bigger than normal load today. 0330am to 0830. Then they paid a couple of us as skeleton crew for 90 minutes until they said forget it. Because "nobody knows where air is".

Must be the loaders right?

We would've wrapped by 730-745.

Three drivers in preload got paid 90 minutes to stand around. That easily could've been, for starters, a better wage in that first hour and a half than what people make in a day. Our whole belt could be paid better. If they're using 4.5h driver pay to stand around, and fifteen hours, why in the world can't starting pay be higher? Start at 10.25, give them 11 at their 30 and 12.5 when they get seniority. All that wasted money but we can't get a buck or two.. give me a break.

Unload gets a buck extra, they should be making 12.50, and right out the gate loaders should start at 12 if you wanna skip increasing pay in increments during qualification.

They gave us 5 cent raises because the minimum wage isn't high enough. It's not even a living at 40 hours for a single person in basically a closet turned loft, and they'd be on food stamps and energy assistance with a free cell phone at your expense.

UPS thinks some guy off the street will do those loads just as well, and built to order. UPS seems to think so. There's 12 very angry drivers right now from long timers just realizing they've wasted a few years of their raises, and a law got them more pay - not their employer - and UPS is gonna care fukkall.

Could you elaborate on this

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Because we're critically short-staffed here at SDF, morale is bottoming out, and UPS's decision to double-down on older planes to cut down on initial cost is starting to bite them now that they require increased maintenance.

I'm guessing that the airplane mechanics not having a contract for a couple years may also be contributing to this.?.?.

llamainmypocket

Warehouse pay is friend-ing criminal. The new contract needs to address this for current employees or strike. We'll have public support for part time poverty that we wouldn't have for bumping driver's over the 100k level.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Warehouse pay is friend-ing criminal. The new contract needs to address this for current employees or strike. We'll have public support for part time poverty that we wouldn't have for bumping driver's over the 100k level.
Pt'ers could carry a lot of weight if they would vote but they don't . You can't even get most of them to work their 3 and a half !

DRporch

does preload deserve a raise and/or add an hour to each day? Yes.

does preload deserve $15.00? no. in the end its stacking boxes and matching PALS...
ideally id like to see preload get an extra hour a day and a raise to 12-12.50. an extra hour would help everyone on the receiving end..

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Part Time Poverty ? Hmm...... does that mean you are only poor some of the time and ok the rest of the time . It's is a part time job that pays benefits after a year, a pension, paid vacations, and regular raises. My pay is $25.00+per hour pt. That being said maybe it is time they give the pt'ers a catch up like the extra $1.00 we received I believe 2 contracts back. Again to get the bucks maybe you have to vote, participate in the union, and not go home letting the sups do your job.

A

Article 3

does preload deserve a raise and/or add an hour to each day? Yes.

does preload deserve $15.00? no. in the end its stacking boxes and matching PALS...
ideally id like to see preload get an extra hour a day and a raise to 12-12.50. an extra hour would help everyone on the receiving end..
That means they would be overpaid if they loaded 1200 pkgs into four trucks in 3.5 hrs for $52?
Or unloaded a bricked out trailer for $15?
I don't understand your thinking.

The full time pkg car pay rate has doubled in twenty years. That means the part time starting wage, if increased at the same rate, should be about $17/hr.
The pt timers need to vote for the betterment of their own issues. There's almost twice as many pt timers as full timers and they would control every contract if they'd just vote!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Screw tuition assistance, weekly bonuses, and 6th hour overtime pay. Let's get political:
hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

HockFaraday

Friendly Neighborhood Ramp Rat
Part Time Poverty ? Hmm...... does that mean you are only poor some of the time and ok the rest of the time
It means that I work "part time" hours at a job that expects me to be available as early as 8:30 am and expects me to stay as late as they want to keep me. I understand Air district is a bit different in that regard but those expectations make it nearly impossible to keep a second job that isn't third shift.

It's is a part time job that pays benefits after a year, a pension, paid vacations, and regular raises. My pay is $25.00+per hour pt.
And my pay is $10.20 per hour "pt".

The reality of the situation here on the ground at SDF is that "part-time" means "without the benefits of full-timers". 35-40 hours in a non-peak week is not uncommon out here. Retention rates are terrible, meaning more work gets spread over fewer workers, leading to low morale and even lower retention rates. It would make sense, then, to raise pay to encourage people to stay.

And for what it's worth, raises and benefits that kick in after a year don't help me now.

PT Car Washer

It means that I work "part time" hours at a job that expects me to be available as early as 8:30 am and expects me to stay as late as they want to keep me. I understand Air district is a bit different in that regard but those expectations make it nearly impossible to keep a second job that isn't third shift.

And my pay is $10.20 per hour "pt".

The reality of the situation here on the ground at SDF is that "part-time" means "without the benefits of full-timers". 35-40 hours in a non-peak week is not uncommon out here. Retention rates are terrible, meaning more work gets spread over fewer workers, leading to low morale and even lower retention rates. It would make sense, then, to raise pay to encourage people to stay.

And for what it's worth, raises and benefits that kick in after a year don't help me now.
Paying minimum wages and no benefits and expecting someone to pay Union dues is an embarrassment to every Union member.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Paying minimum wages and no benefits and expecting someone to pay Union dues is an embarrassment to every Union member.

I will have to disagree with your opinion, that it's an embarrassment.

And, refer you to this thread;

https://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/automation-good-bad.374737/

It's a generational problem, without being able to get a work force.

10 years ago.... the company discharged hub people for using their phone

while on the clock. Now, they can't get them in the door without them.

Where does the problem really lie ?

Technology.. poor parenting.. the American culture in general ?