NFL Boycott - Will FedEx Peak be easier...in current events?

vantexan

Are you saying that before affirmative action all the blacks that were never considered for executive positions simply were inferior and not worthy?

Furthermore, when looking at boardrooms across America, if you see a single black man and a Hispanic woman, do you assume affirmative action? Because if you do, it only shows how deep stereotyping ideas run.
In spite of numerous issues they have I think FedEx has done a pretty good job promoting people based on merit. And having worked for a number of black and Hispanic managers I can unequivocally say that they range from very good, competent professionals to those who prove a minority manager can be as big an A-hole as any white manager.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I may have been an affirmative action hire.

Since then I've proven and continue to prove just how damn good I am.
Curious: Do you feel the endorsement of Affirmative Action is still needed to validate your worth? Or, put another way, has AA accomplished what was needed to allow your value to be rewarded, and therefore is now anachronistic?

bbsam

Staff member
Curious: Do you feel the endorsement of Affirmative Action is still needed to validate your worth? Or, put another way, has AA accomplished what was needed to allow your value to be rewarded, and therefore is now anachronistic?
No. First, I have no idea if I was hired as an affirmative action quota or not. It's entirely possible. It's also just as possible that at RPS in 1996, the company was just looking for a body with a pulse.

It's been my experience that all companies insist that they hire the best qualified applicant for each position. I find that hard to believe.

What I don't find hard to believe is that companies have embraced Affirmative Action not as a righting of any social ill but because they have come to find value in the diversity it creates.

It's like the governor of Wyoming (Montana?) was talking about the other day about global warming. While he said he remained skeptical, it really didn't matter because his worldwide customer base not only value clean sources of energy, they demand it.

So whether by mandate or just good business a diverse workforce is a good thing and it doesn't matter to me how it is achieved.

Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead On The Future Of Coal

Last edited:

floridays

In spite of numerous issues they have I think FedEx has done a pretty good job promoting people based on merit. And having worked for a number of black and Hispanic managers I can unequivocally say that they range from very good, competent professionals to those who prove a minority manager can be as big an A-hole as any white manager.
Can't go as far as you do but agree , but do agree, a minority manager is extended the same latitude to become an A-hole, or perfect his or her trade.

bbsam

Staff member
You p i s s ed on his getting the thieves released, my respone was to that.
Lol. No. I asked what the price was.

Why would that question not come to mind? There are a lot of Americans jailed abroad that don't get presidential intervention like this. Do you think China gave in for nothing?

floridays

Why would that question not come to mind? There are a lot of Americans jailed abroad that don't get presidential intervention like this. Do you think China gave in for nothing?
Probably only offered 20 minutes with Melania and Ivanka, don't sweat it, we got the thugs back.

vantexan

Do you mean did he send hundreds of millions in foreign currency on an unmarked plane to get their release, as Obama did for Iran captives?

bbsam

Staff member
Do you mean did he send hundreds of millions in foreign currency on an unmarked plane to get their release, as Obama did for Iran captives?
Yes. And did the money legally belong to China anyway? (You like to disregard that part, don't you?)