No more PVDs?

Big Rigger

Smart decision to keep personal vehicles off the road... everybody is forgetting about the liability factor.. God forbid if one of these PVDs gets into a major accident and kills somebody or hurts himself who gets sued and settles the claim.

Most of the LIBs during peak are generally big ass irregulars, always thought it was funny that anybody would risk their interior by jamming a dirty 145 pound mattress in the back seat of their brand new Honda Civic.
They don't allow Honda civics. There's a vehicle size restriction here.
We had a really bad accident locally a couple of years ago and the driver was hauled to the hospital unresponsive at the scene. Of course it was avoidable. Probably totalled the vehicle.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
1631903995280.jpeg

Big Rigger

The plan has been the same for the 14 peaks I’ve worked so far. “Christmas is coming? Crap, we better figure this out” usually said around mid November every year by management. Still always seems to sneak up on them.
They've got plenty of money to rent appropriate vehicles with.

BrownSnowFlake

Interesting though I doubt it. They would eventually qualify if used all year. What's to stop them from saying, "give me a package car, I'm not using my personal vehicle anymore" once they qualify? The whole point of them isn't to hire more drivers but as temp work that won't use ups equipment
My last PVD driver (a female, if it matters) refused to take anything heavier than 20 lbs or bigger than a breadbox. Another time my dispatcher called me after 18:00 and asked me to go help a PVD (also female) lift a 100 lb crate. I had to tell her "No, I'm picking up the UPS store now and will miss air if I don't return to the center immediately."

These PVDs aren't gonna qualify. Most of them are grifters being forced to work so they can restart their unemployment benefits. The few that are actually good (mostly landscapers in the off-season) are more than welcome imho.

Iamsomebody

I very much mind them. If the company wants to hire seasonal workers to drive a brown truck, that's fine. But the whole pvd model should never have been allowed at ups!
You mean uhaul and penske trucks.. They can't even provide enough brown trucks for their actual employees during peak.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
It states that “no package car driver shall be required to use their personal vehicle”. Guessing the company will find a way around that.

These newly classified (package care drivers) can drive company vehicles or rentals, just never deliver out of their own personal vehicles.

What will be their starting hourly rate and will they be paying union dues?

There was talk about corporate getting into the same day delivery business..I guess they have to figure a way by using collective bargaining employees.

Is there any language in the Master or Supplements that allows temporary non union ex-PVDs anyway, and how did they get into our buildings over the last two years?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Best peak ever last year with pvd's being used.

Maybe give the clowns that enjoy the 14 hour days the option?

It was a smooth peak.. I still remember the 2015 or 2016 peak that was pure hell, a couple of days we left over a thousand next day airs in the building just before Christmas in good weather just because of piss poor planning.