Off work over a conference call

MC0493

Heres something for all you older guys to laugh at. I'm nearly finished with my 30(today was day 29). Get home tonight, sup calls and says we can't work you until atleast next monday. Division manager is away on vacation and in order to finish probation i have to have a conference call with him, my center manger, sup, and whoever the hell else they find. Already worked hard, been safe, wrote a letter as to why i want to work there and fought hard to get a sales lead. So many hoops to jump through for the job now it seems...

Last edited:

ManInBrown

Deal with it. Seen many drivers go thru this. We had a guy that had to wait 3 weeks for his call. If you can't handle waiting a few days I'm sure McDonalds is hiring

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Heres something for all you older guys to laugh at. I'm nearly finished with my 30(today was day 29). Get home tonight, sup calls and says we can't work you until atleast next monday. Division manager is away on vacation and in order to finish probation i have to have a conference call with him, my center manger, sup, and whoever the hell else they find. Already worked hard, been safe, wrote a letter as to why i want to work there and fought hard to get a sales lead. So many hoops to jump through for the job now it seems... end rant
You have 2 write a letter , and get a sales lead ,for package car driver???????, or a management position?

MC0493

I'm not really complaining, just think its a bit ridiculous. Obviously if i've come this far i'm going all the way, and package car driver.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You do realize, don't you, that it's 30 days out of whatever consecutive days are stipulated in your supplement. Not 30 consecutive days working.

You'll be fine, and enjoy the couple days off.

MC0493

You do realize, don't you, that it's 30 days out of whatever consecutive days are stipulated in your supplement. Not 30 consecutive days working.

You'll be fine, and enjoy the couple days off.
As far as i understood it, it was 30 working days. I've been writing it down on a calendar each day i work.

opey

its the way it goes. just be happy u made it, and if you have been working consistently up till this point, be even happier. i went thru months of working 0-3 days a week before getting there. i know someone in another building who has been thru TWO peaks already, and still hasnt made book. the system sucks

35years

Gravy route
Heres something for all you older guys to laugh at. I'm nearly finished with my 30(today was day 29). Get home tonight, sup calls and says we can't work you until atleast next monday. Division manager is away on vacation and in order to finish probation i have to have a conference call with him, my center manger, sup, and whoever the hell else they find. Already worked hard, been safe, wrote a letter as to why i want to work there and fought hard to get a sales lead. So many hoops to jump through for the job now it seems...
Your not there yet...29 days.
Keep playing the I'm so grateful, Ill bust my behind for you, etc. game until you are locked in plus some.
They could still cut you loose if they see any negative attitude.

Box Ox

Already worked hard, been safe, wrote a letter as to why i want to work there and fought hard to get a sales lead.

You wrote a letter? LOL

And they're right to want to have everyone in management on the same page when it comes to how you're doing. Nobody, even fellow drivers, want to be stuck with an "oops" driver who is a pain to work with if they're allowed to slip through their 30 and shouldn't have.

opey

You wrote a letter? LOL

When did they start having conference calls and requiring applicants to write a letter?? And sales leads???

its the way they do it now... write an ass kissing letter to management about yourself and how you promise to be great. and the conference call is with all the big managers, HR, etc, and is more of the same. then they shake your hand and say congrats

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
When did they start having conference calls and requiring applicants to write a letter?? And sales leads???
Sales leads I haven't heard of. The calls were something they started with management a few years ago. They just started doing it with drivers in the past year here.

MC0493

I'm aware i could still be cut lose, i've been lucky to have a nearly non stop run with only a day off here and there. Yes everything i said is true except possibly the sales lead. Seems to just be something they want at my center.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm aware i could still be cut lose, i've been lucky to have a nearly non stop run with only a day off here and there. Yes everything i said is true except possibly the sales lead. Seems to just be something they want at my center.
For sure not doubting you with the sales lead. Been a hot topic lately. I can see them throwing it in there to kind of get it in your head.

Rack em

Made the Podium
They can't "cut you loose" unless on your last day you get in an accident. And I believe the contract states they cannot disqualify you for a "minor" accident. There is nothing in the contract about having to jump through all these hoops in order to qualify. The only thing you need to worry about is if you are laid off awaiting this conference call and someone will less seniority works instead of you. Then you will have to tell them on that conference call about the grievance you filed for someone with less seniority working before you.

Savvy412

the sales lead is the dumbest thing I have heard at Ups..like really!??! Its so random and has nothing to do with our job.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Nothing in the contract about sales leads either... If more people took the time to read the contract then more people wouldn't be intimidated at all their lies and know what they need to do in order to qualify

MC0493

I've heard the sales lead isn't part of qualifying but its tough to argue when you don't have a leg to stand on. Only person with less seniority that's probably working is the guy doing his 30 behind me.