"On Topic" Discussing a Safety Concern with Integrity

OptimusPrime

I think safety wise they should crush all 1980 something package cars

Back about four years ago when I was a rook, our safety person was pulling some crap that all "rookies" had to attend the monthly safety meeting, and to "voice a concern". So I spoke up that trucks with only a lap belt are :censored2: laughable, considering shoulder belts were pretty common going back to the mid 80's. Got blank stares.

Back about four years ago when I was a rook, our safety person was pulling some crap that all "rookies" had to attend the monthly safety meeting, and to "voice a concern". So I spoke up that trucks with only a lap belt are :censored2: laughable, considering shoulder belts were pretty common going back to the mid 80's. Got blank stares.
Even some of the package cars of the 90's had lap belts.

OptimusPrime

Even some of the package cars of the 90's had lap belts.

But that was 20 years ago. Back then I guess it was sort of ok. Phasing out process. In 2016 I shouldn't have to drive a truck where some careless fellow is texting and driving, and crosses the yellow line and hits me head on, and I end up dead because my head slammed into the steering wheel. Tad hyperbole? Yes. But a truck with just a lap belt is not safe.

But that was 20 years ago. Back then I guess it was sort of ok. Phasing out process. In 2016 I shouldn't have to drive a truck where some careless fellow is texting and driving, and crosses the yellow line and hits me head on, and I end up dead because my head slammed into the steering wheel. Tad hyperbole? Yes. But a truck with just a lap belt is not safe.
We still have some of those in service. Honestly the seatbelt is the least of my concern.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The manufactures saying only 2 stands is nonsense. I feel completely safe.

Just got off the phone with the manufacturer of a well known, frequently used jack stand manufacturer and the representative of the manufacturer disagrees with your opinion, as I do.

As per the representative, the practice is a definitely a safety factor and the jack stands should not be used in this way.

The safety alert symbol in directions is used to alert you to potential personal injury hazards. Obey all safety messages that follow this symbol to avoid possible injury or death.

Failure to heed these marking may result in personal injury and/or property damage.

From Directions:

WARNINGStudy, understand and follow all instructions provided with and on this device before use. • Rated capacity is per pair! Do not exceed rated capacity. • Use only on hard, level surface. • Center load on saddle. • Use as a matched pair to support one end of a vehicle only. One pair per vehicle only. • Jack stands are not to be used to simultaneously support both ends or one side of a vehicle. • No alterations shall be made to this device. • Failure to heed these markings may result in personal injury and/or property damage.

You feel safe??????????

Integrity

Binge Poster
The manufactures saying only 2 stands is nonsense. I feel completely safe.

The passing of a brother.... RIP mark

A quote from that thread:

None of our buildings in metro philly have hoist's or lift's. The truck was on jack stands front and rear and apparently while he was lowering the rear something tragic happened. Mark was a hell of a guy and a good friend to all who knew him. I have had the pleasure of knowing him for over 20 years. He was a hard worker and a great mechanic and provided for his family to the end. He will surely be missed by all of us. RIP Mark...

Returntosender

image_zpssz0vwkju.jpeg

watdaflock?

Number one injury at UPS is lower back and yet the goof decision makers don't believe bending at the waist is a proper stretching method.

Bend forward slowly. Allow your arms to relax. They should drop and hang below you.
  • Pay attention to the way your lower back feels. It's normal to feel light tension like you might feel in any other stretch. If you encounter any pain while leaning forward, stop immediately and try a different stretch.
Ease forward until you feel slight "stretching" tension in the lower back.