Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The basic premise is sound—-it is possible to work both quickly and safely.
Again, by who's standards?

It's certainly not possible from the Company's eyes on my bid route...

...but hey, you keep chasing the rabbit all the way to the finish line, only to finish out of the real money.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
giphy.gif
html5

Last edited:

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Is a damage really a missed if we don’t even try to deliver it?
No, it's a service interruption (missed in a diad) and it becomes a damage exception after the clerk enters all the info about the package. I've explained that to you before. Track them for yourself.

or......
its scanned in the diad by the driver as refused, didn't want (with damage typed in the remarks). then its given to the address correction clerk who changes the refused in E2DC program to "hold for inspection/notify shipper". then it goes to the damage clerk for processing in his computer. damages are NEVER scanned with diad as missed or damaged here regardless of corporate diad training. oms gets phone calls all the time from customers complaining that they waited home for there monster box of put together furniture only to see it online tracking as refused when they never get it. i feel its falsifying records the way its done now. why cant the diad have a hold for inspection exception is beyond me expect maybe for the fact that it would be abused for hiding legitimate missed pieces

Ms.PacMan

or......
its scanned in the diad by the driver as refused, didn't want (with damage typed in the remarks). then its given to the address correction clerk who changes the refused in E2DC program to "hold for inspection/notify shipper". then it goes to the damage clerk for processing in his computer. damages are NEVER scanned with diad as missed or damaged here regardless of corporate diad training. oms gets phone calls all the time from customers complaining that they waited home for there monster box of put together furniture only to see it online tracking as refused when they never get it. i feel its falsifying records the way its done now. why cant the diad have a hold for inspection exception is beyond me expect maybe for the fact that it would be abused for hiding legitimate missed pieces

I think this is why there has been a return to the past practice of pulling off suspected damaged packages during the preload. I don't know why your center sheets them as refused. We sheet them as missed unless the customer has actually seen the package and refused it because of suspected damage. It sounds like your center needs to work on pulling the packages before they're loaded or drivers need to be less rough with them.

The customer getting the monster box is not the customer but the consignee. Our customer is the company who ships the monster boxes. With that in mind the customer of UPS deserves to know everything about his damaged goods and gets a detailed report after the damage inspection. Talk to your damage clerk, they will spend up to 45 minutes recording every detail about the damage to a package; is the box corrugated, the strength of the box, the packing material, size, weight, is the box dented, torn, punctured, wet, etc. All the contents have to be inspected and recorded and at the end its the shipper who decides what UPS does with the package. Amazon and Target want everything returned and they want to ship out a new complete order. Other shippers are okay with removing damaged items and reboxing and redelivering the package minus the damaged contents.

A lot of times nothing is damaged but the box. I think this is the biggest reason that drivers are not allowed to record a damage - because there is no damage to the contents.

This has always been a topic of discussion on here and I have no idea why people think there is something dishonest going on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think this is why there has been a return to the past practice of pulling off suspected damaged packages during the preload. I don't know why your center sheets them as refused. We sheet them as missed unless the customer has actually seen the package and refused it because of suspected damage. It sounds like your center needs to work on pulling the packages before they're loaded or drivers need to be less rough with them.

The customer getting the monster box is not the customer but the consignee. Our customer is the company who ships the monster boxes. With that in mind the customer of UPS deserves to know everything about his damaged goods and gets a detailed report after the damage inspection. Talk to your damage clerk, they will spend up to 45 minutes recording every detail about the damage to a package; is the box corrugated, the strength of the box, the packing material, size, weight, is the box dented, torn, punctured, wet, etc. All the contents have to be inspected and recorded and at the end its the shipper who decides what UPS does with the package. Amazon and Target want everything returned and they want to ship out a new complete order. Other shippers are okay with removing damaged items and reboxing and redelivering the package minus the damaged contents.

A lot of times nothing is damaged but the box. I think this is the biggest reason that drivers are not allowed to record a damage - because there is no damage to the contents.

This has always been a topic of discussion on here and I have no idea why people think there is something dishonest going on.
People think there is something dishonest going on, because many times there is.

Management loves to play musical chairs with these packages in order to shift the blame and assigned cost from their operation to another, meanwhile the customer and consignee suffer.

The semantics laid out in your post is indicative to a perfect world that simply doesn't exist in most facilities.

Ms.PacMan

People think there is something dishonest going on, because many times there is.

Management loves to play musical chairs with these packages in order to shift the blame and assigned cost from their operation to another, meanwhile the customer and consignee suffer.

The semantics laid out in your post is indicative to a perfect world that simply doesn't exist in most facilities.
How do they shift the cost to another center or facility?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How do they shift the cost to another center or facility?
Not necessarily another center or facility, rather to the preload, or other shifts within the building.
Not sure whether they can back charge these damages to the last facility that handled the package?

These managers don't care whether their actions adversely effect anybody else, or even the bottom line.

In my opinion, the way UPS containerizes each entity within the operation is the genesis of much that is questionable in regards to dishonest and unethical acts by management.

It's all about the balanced scorecard, rather than "The Big Picture".

Ms.PacMan

Not necessarily another center or facility, rather to the preload, or other shifts within the building.
Not sure whether they can back charge these damages to the last facility that handled the package?

These managers don't care whether their actions adversely effect anybody else, or even the bottom line.

In my opinion, the way UPS containerizes each entity within the operation is the genesis of much that is questionable in regards to dishonest and unethical acts by management.

It's all about the balanced scorecard, rather than "The Big Picture".

I do think hubs forward damaged packages sometimes so I could see that the preload gets dinged for causing a damage when they didn't. But we were talking about drivers and damages on car and if the preload is loading damaged packages aren't they doing the same thing as the hubs and making it appear that it was the driver causing the damage? Or is the driver causing the damage?

I guess I don't know a lot about how damages are assigned to different shifts and the adverse effect to those supes running the shifts.

The consignee is affected no matter what because the package is damaged.

Brisket

I do think hubs forward damaged packages sometimes so I could see that the preload gets dinged for causing a damage when they didn't. But we were talking about drivers and damages on car and if the preload is loading damaged packages aren't they doing the same thing as the hubs and making it appear that it was the driver causing the damage? Or is the driver causing the damage?

I guess I don't know a lot about how damages are assigned to different shifts and the adverse effect to those supes running the shifts.

The consignee is affected no matter what because the package is damaged.

Sometimes!?! Lol.
You would think that some of the preload literally found the nearest belt , dropped the packag, had the nearest tug run over it, then put it back on the belt to be sorted and loaded by the loader that would not care just wanting to get that truck caught up.

Then there would be the distinct possibility that a seasonal would deliver it anyways ( when they should sheet it as damaged if it's done in transit) or if it was Loaded that way for goodness sake take that piece off and let the clerk deal with it and get it to the customer after it's been re-packaged.

You all know what trampolines look like sometimes...

Ms.PacMan

Sometimes!?! Lol.
You would think that some of the preload literally found the nearest belt , dropped the packag, had the nearest tug run over it, then put it back on the belt to be sorted and loaded by the loader that would not care just wanting to get that truck caught up.

Then there would be the distinct possibility that a seasonal would deliver it anyways ( when they should sheet it as damaged if it's done in transit) or if it was Loaded that way for goodness sake take that piece off and let the clerk deal with it and get it to the customer after it's been re-packaged.

You all know what trampolines look like sometimes...
I said sometimes they come out of the semi broken.

And none of this has to do with the original comments I was responding to which was....that a couple posters feel we are unethical the way we sheet damages. I don't feel it's unethical to let the damage clerk have the final say as to whether something is damaged or not.

Brisket

I said sometimes they come out of the semi broken.

And none of this has to do with the original comments I was responding to which was....that a couple posters feel we are unethical the way we sheet damages. I don't feel it's unethical to let the damage clerk have the final say as to whether something is damaged or not.

Oh, sorry still in a turkey coma, my bad. And you are right( went all the way back and read the whole thing).