"On Topic" Operations Management Jogging Knife Switches

Integrity

Binge Poster
To My Fellow UPS Workers,
The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at
UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole
purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with
other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this
issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our
own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for
the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this
issue.

It was reported to Integrity that management in a certain facility are jogging a conveyor that gets backed up almost every night using the disconnect switch for the motor.

This is dangerous.

This is not consistent with UPS safety methods.

Does this happen in your facility?

Anything to add?

I

Brisket

Oh I would like to believe IF it happens in your bldg, you would immediately get your steward involved, and go from there.

And OMG really?! First the 'spill' now this!?

Time to fess up, you work for OSHA don't you?!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Oh I would like to believe IF it happens in your bldg, you would immediately get your steward involved, and go from there.

And OMG really?! First the 'spill' now this!?

Time to fess up, you work for OSHA don't you?!
Why and what would you hope to accomplish by getting a union steward involved in this situation?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
@Integrity, by now I think most of us here believe you are a Keter auditor, or something similar. I also think that damn near all of us don't give a :censored2: about your queries.

If you want to go fishing for opinions, find a different platform.

Thank you,

Cosmo

km3

It was reported to Integrity that management in a certain facility are jogging a conveyor that gets backed up almost every night using the disconnect switch for the motor.

This is dangerous.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

10 Pt

Why and what would you hope to accomplish by getting a union steward involved in this situation?
Because it applies to Art 18 is the "why".
Because it's unsafe and if people can be injured is the "what" (the steward can witness the unsafe actions of management and can file on it and contact OSHA at the same time).
Or if it's breaking NEC or BBC ordinances.

Brisket

ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS

Preamble

The Employer and the Union agree that the safety of the employees and the general public is of utmost importance.

The Employer and the Union have developed the following Sections and Subsections of this Agreement to respond to that mutual concern for safety. The contract language responds to a vari- ety of areas related to safety, health, ergonomics, climatic condi- tions as well as federal, state and local laws dedicated to providing a safe and healthy workplace.

To address safety and health issues, the Employer and the Union have developed the following:

A. A National UPS/IBT Safety and Health Committee;

B. ANationalUPS/IBTSafetyandHealthGrievanceCommitteeto respond to safety, health, ergonomic and climatic issues and con- cerns; and

C. A Safety and Health Committee, chaired by the UPS Director of Health and Safety and the IBT Director of Safety and Health, will be formed to address present and future safety and health issues and solutions; and

D. Local area joint labor/management committees comprised of bargaining unit members and management to address job related safety and health concerns through the Comprehensive Health and Safety Process (CHSP).

Notwithstanding the employee’s right to contact federal, state or local agencies, it is the recommendation of the committee that issues and concerns, regarding this Agreement, should first be brought before the National Safety and Health Committee.

Union requests to access Company vehicles and/or facilities for the purpose of investigating safety and health issues shall proceed as follows:

Upon request of a Local Union, and with the approval of the UPS/IBT National Safety and Health co-chairs, representatives of the Union, accompanied by Company representatives, will be pro- vided reasonable and necessary access to the Company’s vehicles and/or facilities for the purpose of investigating safety and health issues.

Section 1. Employeesʼ Rights - Equipment, Vehicles

and Conditions

The Employer shall not require employees to take out on the streets or highways any vehicle, or use any type of equipment, that is not
in a safe operating condition or equipped with the safety appliances prescribed by law.

Under no circumstances will an employee be required or assigned to engage in any activity involving dangerous conditions of work or danger to a person or property or in violation of a government reg- ulation relating to safety of person or equipment. The term “danger- ous conditions of work” does not relate to the type of cargo which is to be hauled or handled.

Because , sir or madame we all use the equipment in the building, so if they are circumventing the methods and procedures that were put in place to protect us ALL, and someone else gets hurt, then we all should be ashamed!

Sorry was a bit busy. And thank you 10 pt.

35years

Gravy route
So,

You guys have done a great job of answering I's question of what should be done in ALL the safety situations he brings up on this forum...Get the Union involved, file grievances, and notify the appropriate government officials. These answers should be mentioned in all his "what should we do" threads.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
To My Fellow UPS Workers,
The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at
UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole
purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with
other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this
issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our
own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for
the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this
issue.

This is dangerous.

Does this happen in your facility?

Anything to add?

I

I don't see the problem
Been doing it since electricity was invented

Integrity

Binge Poster
Because it applies to Art 18 is the "why".
Because it's unsafe and if people can be injured is the "what" (the steward can witness the unsafe actions of management and can file on it and contact OSHA at the same time).
Or if it's breaking NEC or BBC ordinances.
It is my understanding that the management do this in plain view of the stewards in the building.

If this is true then it doesn't seem that this would be the way to go.

Integrity

Binge Poster
ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS

Preamble

The Employer and the Union agree that the safety of the employees and the general public is of utmost importance.

The Employer and the Union have developed the following Sections and Subsections of this Agreement to respond to that mutual concern for safety. The contract language responds to a vari- ety of areas related to safety, health, ergonomics, climatic condi- tions as well as federal, state and local laws dedicated to providing a safe and healthy workplace.

To address safety and health issues, the Employer and the Union have developed the following:

A. A National UPS/IBT Safety and Health Committee;

B. ANationalUPS/IBTSafetyandHealthGrievanceCommitteeto respond to safety, health, ergonomic and climatic issues and con- cerns; and

C. A Safety and Health Committee, chaired by the UPS Director of Health and Safety and the IBT Director of Safety and Health, will be formed to address present and future safety and health issues and solutions; and

D. Local area joint labor/management committees comprised of bargaining unit members and management to address job related safety and health concerns through the Comprehensive Health and Safety Process (CHSP).

Notwithstanding the employee’s right to contact federal, state or local agencies, it is the recommendation of the committee that issues and concerns, regarding this Agreement, should first be brought before the National Safety and Health Committee.

Union requests to access Company vehicles and/or facilities for the purpose of investigating safety and health issues shall proceed as follows:

Upon request of a Local Union, and with the approval of the UPS/IBT National Safety and Health co-chairs, representatives of the Union, accompanied by Company representatives, will be pro- vided reasonable and necessary access to the Company’s vehicles and/or facilities for the purpose of investigating safety and health issues.

Section 1. Employeesʼ Rights - Equipment, Vehicles

and Conditions

The Employer shall not require employees to take out on the streets or highways any vehicle, or use any type of equipment, that is not
in a safe operating condition or equipped with the safety appliances prescribed by law.

Under no circumstances will an employee be required or assigned to engage in any activity involving dangerous conditions of work or danger to a person or property or in violation of a government reg- ulation relating to safety of person or equipment. The term “danger- ous conditions of work” does not relate to the type of cargo which is to be hauled or handled.

Because , sir or madame we all use the equipment in the building, so if they are circumventing the methods and procedures that were put in place to protect us ALL, and someone else gets hurt, then we all should be ashamed!

Sorry was a bit busy. And thank you 10 pt.
Then many should be ashamed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So,

You guys have done a great job of answering I's question of what should be done in ALL the safety situations he brings up on this forum...Get the Union involved, file grievances, and notify the appropriate government officials. These answers should be mentioned in all his "what should we do" threads.
They really did not do a good job with the questions. FYI The questions for this discussion thread actually were:

Doe this happen at your facility?

Anything to add?