One step closer

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
What have you done for me.... lately ?

If you think you can beat me @ the ballot box, have at it.

Just don't sit there and passively whine.

-Bug-

Got an answer?
Your job is to rally us. To educate us. To fight for us. To keep us a team.

I don't want to beat you. I want you to do your job.

Time for change

Got an answer?

I don't want to beat you. I want you to do your job.

It’s like saying if you’re not IBT president you can’t have a voice. Imagine if a congressman or President said sit down, shut up, if you don’t like it run against me and beat me. Yup that’s BUG the bully, prototypical Teamster.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
How would you know what my job entails.... if you're not willing to do it ?

Okay. Let's strip it back, because I may have used words that were a little large for you.

If you are a union representative, that means it is self evident that you have to represent your union brothers.

Following?

That means, at minimum, it is your job to speak for the larger group of people in your jurisdiction.

You aren't supposed to be telling your constituents what they need. (Or what you think they need.)
Your job, would be to represent the interests of your people. And act according to those.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Rarely, is any point lost on me.

As a veteran Union Steward, I'm sure you have encountered the feelings of being a

glorified babysitter. A persons patience for dealing with the chronically passive UPS Union

employee has it's limits. "Nut up.... or shut up" is a common rallying cry.

Just say'n.

-Bug-
I have, for sure....

....but see know benefit on dwelling on the past.

I'm looking for the "sheepdogs" in my Local.

We have work to do.

~Bbbl~™

dogs.bite.me

Union employees who vote aren't passive. Period.
That's our part.

If you're a union steward, then your job is to represent your union brothers.
You sound like you have an attitude problem. If we are so tiresome, step down, and let someone else represent.

The union isn't checking any of those boxes right now.

You seem to be part of the problem, rather than the solution.

And your job is to do just that. Not continue to friend up and expect the union to bail you out.

It gets tiring being in the office with the same people for the same thing because said employee is too hard headed and thinks he can do whatever he wants. The when the union says he needs to do what they ask, they start crying and saying we’re not representing them.

If you can’t understand that, start your campaign to be steward and do better than who you want to complain about.

dogs.bite.me

Okay. Let's strip it back, because I may have used words that were a little large for you.

If you are a union representative, that means it is self evident that you have to represent your union brothers.

Following?

That means, at minimum, it is your job to speak for the larger group of people in your jurisdiction.

You aren't supposed to be telling your constituents what they need. (Or what you think they need.)
Your job, would be to represent the interests of your people. And act according to those.
And the stewards I’ve known have done that.

Yet when the union doesn’t get them the result they want, (due to continued screw ups) they blame the union and sew discontent instead of looking inward and correcting their own issues.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
...(due to continued screw ups)...

Screw UPS? ;)
We wouldn't be in this mess if the union screwed UPS.
(Sorry. Couldn't resist).

I agree with you that we should avoid equating "not getting our way", with "corrupt union".
This is a complex environment, and there's a lot that can go wrong, without it being union malevolence.

But if you objectively look at this contract, I don't see a clear area in which the union "won". (With the exception of brand new PT people.)
Drivers get 22.4.
Part timers get no catch up raises.
Air drivers get a longer progression time.

So I'm not sure what the union got, even if they were just going for different objectives than I would like.

Now, for the "true" union stewards. The good guys. I know they are out there.
What is it that they needed to change inside themselves?
How could they help steer away from this wreck of a contract?
Based on what I've heard about the "two man meeting", I don't think the little guys got a real say, at all.

This contract seems to have been dictated from on high. Regardless of the voice of the dues paying members.

I'm honestly not sure if your point is valid, here.