Part-time Driver's Helper/Part-time Package Car Driver Jobs "On Topic"

RPCD

I'm new here on BC. Got 6 years driving. You guys don't know me so I could be anyone, I get it. I had typed a long story here, but long story short, It's becoming more and more clear every day that I need to hold the company's feet to the fire. (Late Saturday today.)

Let's assume the contract gets passed. Who knows what they'll do with the combination drivers? It seems evident they plan on overworking them... I just hope they don't get in an accident or injured working so many long days.

I think it's clear from the language we've seen so far that there is a lot more clarification needed before the majority will feel comfortable voting yes. What exactly are the combination drivers going to be doing? Irregs? Bulk stops? Residential? 9.5 cleanup? I imagine the majority of teamsters are confused right now like me. A couple things...

Let's add language for guys who WANT their overtime, so their hours don't get cut and they don't take a 20%+ pay cut due to cheaper labor.

If these jobs will be so sought after so highly by full-time hopefuls, then there should be no problem giving them some kind of trial period, when they could return to their old part-time position within the first 90-180 working days, (after qualification, if that's still going to be a thing) with no consequence. Maybe they'll actually like it... I've seen guys that can handle 60+ hours per week, I'm just not one of them.

Random thoughts-
With unemployment so low right now I doubt there's going to be a line for this job. I don't see the harm in offering it to current part-timers. A trial period will give them an idea of how far UPS is gonna stick it up their...

High combination job turnover will eventually be bad for RPCDs and UPS! Lower pay = lower quality. I deal with enough driver follow-ups already because of my t-s schedule, and I can vouch that our customers WILL notice the difference in service. They love us! You know who you are. We cost the most, we need to be the best! I'm worried UPS is becoming the next USPS...

Right now I'm leaning towards voting no.

Thanks for listening (and reading)

Integrity

Binge Poster
How about this; quit asking us if it "directly" effects us. This is a union. We ought to be looking out for each other, not just ourselves. We wouldn't need or want a union if we were only concerned with our own situations.
The Driver,
I have never asked you anything. In fact I believe this is your first comment in this discussion thread.

You must have confused yourself with others who I have asked this question of.

I agree in Union Solidarity. I agree in the process. I agree solidarity is most evident in a Union membership that will engage in the process but concede to the counsel of the representative leadership currently in place.

Integrity

Binge Poster
There is no such thing as "Regular" package car driver yet. Stop trying to manipulate our feeble minds with your company wordplay.

D*weed
Name calling. You should be ashamed.

Ok, for the record, proposed RPCD can be used where I previously referenced RPCD.

My apologies for the confusion that this may have caused.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Strike that from the record!
Ok...

L91n0w.gif