Part-timers deserve better.

HBGPreloader

In the years since the last contract was approved, the Teamsters and other unions have spent a significant amount of time, energy and member dues lobbying for $15 an hour.
Yet, when it comes time to lobby for $15 an hour for new hires, specifically part time employees, their solution is we'll get there - eventually.
It could be argued that the PC drivers are the face of UPS. Feeder drivers are the lifeblood. And, those who work inside, who are mostly part-timers, are the backbone that provides support this system.
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. And, no doubt, any driver knows that, based upon load quality, the part time loaders leave a lot to be desired.
So, don't the drivers deserve better quality loaders?
Well,you're not going to that anytime soon offering new hires $13 an hour.

Box Ox

The Company's main focus right now is probably replacing RPCD work with part timers who are paid so little on their sorts that they're chomping at the bit to become part of the 22.4 underclass. You pay a PTer decently and that opportunity becomes less appealing!

mikejonesjr

Forget it being only about the new hires. The GWI should be $1 yearly and if not have a catch up raise now. Plenty are still underpaid not just those with 2 years in.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
should have held FT wages stagnant (or just tie to inflation permanently) and put that extra 4.15 into PT instead

That's why we should strike. There's quite a few legacy (generational) workers at my hub. If their kids want to drive for brown, they need to tell the youth they are getting hosed on this deal. Wages should go up for every one, regardless. Raising wages as a way to sweeten the deal when all the corporation wants is a lesser paid workforce for seven days a week obligation. They are the ones who reap the benefits, and when the times comes that technology can intervene, they will do all they can to kick our arse out the door.

Days

Current part timers deserve a 1.00-1.50 catch up raise and a 4.00 GWI.
The next contract should be in August 2018 part timers would receive a 1.50 raise or be moved up to 13.00 which ever is higher and then an additional 4.00 GWI over the course of 5 years

El Correcto

god is dead
The Company's main focus right now is probably replacing RPCD work with part timers who are paid so little on their sorts that they're chomping at the bit to become part of the 22.4 underclass. You pay a PTer decently and that opportunity becomes less appealing!
I think this forgets the fact most part timers don’t want to go driving. They got their own side jobs and enjoy the health insurance or are waiting for a combo position. They see what we do everyday, they hear the horror stories of being fire over pettiness. They don’t want to take the leap.

I also think it’s very liberal to say you are going to throw more money at a problem and solve it. You’re either here to drive, go into management or enjoy the health benefits as a part timer.

I think part time wages should stay low and hire more, you aren’t getting higher quality at even 15. You could be sitting in the AC at Panda Express making that much and if you aren’t here to drive you might as well.

Days

The next contract should be in August 2018 part timers would receive a 1.50 raise or be moved up to 13.00 which ever is higher and then an additional 4.00 GWI over the course of 5 years

AwashBwashCwash

In the years since the last contract was approved, the Teamsters and other unions have spent a significant amount of time, energy and member dues lobbying for $15 an hour.
Yet, when it comes time to lobby for $15 an hour for new hires, specifically part time employees, their solution is we'll get there - eventually.
It could be argued that the PC drivers are the face of UPS. Feeder drivers are the lifeblood. And, those who work inside, who are mostly part-timers, are the backbone that provides support this system.
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. And, no doubt, any driver knows that, based upon load quality, the part time loaders leave a lot to be desired.

The reason you guys have :censored2:ty loads is because high turnover + no training.
Granted I work sort but I was given no training at all. I watched a couple videos on hazmat and then was thrown into the fire. None of my coworkers even spoke to me for my first two weeks and any time I looked like I needed help they turned a blind eye. UPS has this backwards macho attitude of hazing new workers because it's "sink or swim." All you do is show new employees that the company has a :censored2:ty culture and that they should head for the hills ASAP.
I'm not sure paying a slightly higher wage would fix this.

DoYouEvenLift

The reason you guys have :censored2:ty loads is because high turnover + no training.
Granted I work sort but I was given no training at all. I watched a couple videos on hazmat and then was thrown into the fire. None of my coworkers even spoke to me for my first two weeks and any time I looked like I needed help they turned a blind eye. UPS has this backwards macho attitude of hazing new workers because it's "sink or swim." All you do is show new employees that the company has a :censored2:ty culture and that they should head for the hills ASAP.
I'm not sure paying a slightly higher wage would fix this.

Really sorry to hear that man, my hub is the opposite. If anyone is struggling they are assisted (sometimes not very quickly but they do get their help)

Our training is ass tho. They'll put sorters in trailers and even air cans and ask them to straight load.....sorters don't know how to load obviously......disaster follows LMAO

Time for change

Not how UPS calculates COLA lol!!! 12 cents in 14 years and many things have doubled in cost. We are getting screwed and yet some rank and file even dumber than Denis T will vote yes.

Hadjabear

Catch up to who? Every part time gets the catch up raise? Or people making less than X amount per hr? There are part timers that make more hourly than drivers, they deserve a raise, the ones that helped sell out future part timers?

Karma...

to make it simple all wages should be a base of 1.5 times that states/city minimum wage with added for skilled jobs......only what is not that should be negotiated......dont forget that the federal minimum wage is 7.25 an hour and has been since 2009.....