Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Got picked up for the season as a PVD. (Boooo!!! GTFO!!! SCAAAB!! <<< lol) Just to get some of that out of the way.

I picked up the PVD gig to get my foot in the door with UPS. I originally applied for a seasonal driver position and was only offered PVD.

I'd be glad to answer any questions or reply to any smartasses about their opinions of the PVD position :)
downloadfile-10.png

Utility81

Every stop, every interaction... " Where's your big brown truck?" " They not let you drive a big truck?" "What happened, did your big truck break down?" " Not used to seeing UPS in anything other than a brown truck..."

confirmed, damaging the brand.
You think you’re cute. Deliver 220 stops(with irregs) in 100 degree weather with no AC then talk to me.

Dr.Brownz

Every stop, every interaction... " Where's your big brown truck?" " They not let you drive a big truck?" "What happened, did your big truck break down?" " Not used to seeing UPS in anything other than a brown truck..."

Are you delivering in a city/town or a rural area?

Heavy Package

Your post above proves PVD's tarnish the image of UPS. PVD's are scabs and while since this is a new position CREATED BY UPS it is up to us in the Union to properly address this next contract.

RPSman

Hey @RPSman have you met this guy? Maybe you can talk to him about PVDs.
I'm glad it worked for him. The vehicle I was using started having door latch problems, WM cancelled my gas card, and it got blamed cold, and UPS changed my meeting point from a large WM parking lot to a tractor dealership with not much room. You can say what you want about the old RPS, but at least they could load vans correctly.

RPSman

im sure theyll call you back when we strike. have fun!
I know most of you want to ignore me, but I wouldn't go out on strike again. It is because of your strike of 97 that RPS and Airborne Express no longer exist.
I will always say that if there had been no strike in 97, RPS would have eventually merged with Airborne, Fed Ex would have stuck to air freight, and DHL would be running around in their white vans with red lettering still. Everyone wants to stick their head in the sand like an ostrich, but PVD was an experiment to see what using independent contractors was going to be like. It failed miserably at the local terminal, they had 5 PVD routes, 6 people applied, 4 were disqualified for various reasons, and I left because UPS' logistics in the venture stunk big time.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I know most of you want to ignore me, but I wouldn't go out on strike again. It is because of your strike of 97 that RPS and Airborne Express no longer exist.
I will always say that if there had been no strike in 97, RPS would have eventually merged with Airborne, Fed Ex would have stuck to air freight, and DHL would be running around in their white vans with red lettering still. Everyone wants to stick their head in the sand like an ostrich, but PVD was an experiment to see what using independent contractors was going to be like. It failed miserably at the local terminal, they had 5 PVD routes, 6 people applied, 4 were disqualified for various reasons, and I left because UPS' logistics in the venture stunk big time.

Some can do this job some can’t

Good luck

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I think PVD was a disaster in the making and proved to be the case. With that said is it the applicant that is the SCAB or our joke of a Union for letting things get to that point? I don’t fault a person trying to get on with UPS, the vast majority of us started as unguaranteed seasonal employees ourselves. Only difference is I was inside the building. Nonetheless perhaps our frustration would be better suited pointed in a different direction.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

Happens to us too when we deliver out of a rental van.

35years

Gravy route
I don’t fault a person trying to get on with UPS, the vast majority of us started as unguaranteed seasonal employees ourselves. Only difference is I was inside the building.
Doubt that the vast majority started as seasonal.
Vast majority of drivers probably started as permanent part time.
I don't disagree with your main point, just this statement.

Tiereffinthree

You chunks of steaming excrement... (Referring to the snarky, know it all baby boomer set that constitutes main posters here.) EVERYTHING wrong with the job right now is due to you all's passivity and self interest. Union brotherhood? Nah you killed that as far as UPS. Rolled over on everything except that brief period of testicular fortitude in 97. All this crap.. Is your own faults. Screw the young part timers, future generations. We will TAKE our whuppins so we can retire in relative splendor! Yessuh mas'tah! Don't shame a guy who wants to EVENTUALLY BE a union employee and did what was needed to get a foot in the door! Maybe he's part of a dying gasp of people that would make a great Teamster and actually make a friend..cking difference! Shame. Shame.

PhatPattheRiverRat

I really don't not get this "get my foot in the door" business. I know lots of people—drivers and inside workers, and they all got their start being p/t package handlers.

That is how I am getting my start. It seems to be the best, most reliable way (best doesn't always mean easiest) to get your foot in the door. Put in your time, work your shifts, sign the sheet. Sure, there are outside hires occasionally, but I see so many people banking on the hope of being an outside hire or seasonal to FT driver.

Just take your lumps, join the Union, show up and sort those dang packages, load those package cars and trailers. We all have to start somewhere. Enough of this PVD/Seasonal/I am getting my CDL and applying off the street with my fingers crossed business. IF you get in that way, great. Just saying, from what I've seen and heard through experienced friends, and read here...it is way rarer.

I wish anyone who is trying to get in this way the best of luck. As for me, I'll keep sorting packages, working two jobs and waiting my turn.