Preload Pay - 2018 Contract (On Topic)

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional
With the "contract leaks" thread getting way too long I decided to make a quick post gauging what they think starting pay will be like for preloaders following the new contract. I'm hoping on $15/hr with 50c/yr progression. What about y'all?

km3

$0.50 is what we get now. $14.00/hr, eliminate skilled pay raises (company says there are no more skilled jobs anyway, and uses it to create dissension amongst members and for favoritism). No progression after one year.

13.50 an hour to 15.00 progression cap, whether that be 70 working days or a completed peak season. My state minimum is already more than UPS. By the time I get a raise, the wage will have gone up. More money is needed in more expensive areas for sure. It really makes the job worth nothing more than benefits and some spending money.

PT Car Washer

13.50 an hour to 15.00 progression cap, whether that be 70 working days or a completed peak season. My state minimum is already more than UPS. By the time I get a raise, the wage will have gone up. More money is needed in more expensive areas for sure. It really makes the job worth nothing more than benefits and some spending money.
Sometimes the job only subsidies your transportation cost to get you to the job.

ThatOnePreloader

I’m also down for lower starting wage with increased pay after period of time. Would help keep people around if 12-13 an hour was offered starting and if you make it 90 days you get bumped to 15+

PT Car Washer

I’m also down for lower starting wage with increased pay after period of time. Would help keep people around if 12-13 an hour was offered starting and if you make it 90 days you get bumped to 15+
We can't keep new employees to last through first break and you want them to last 90 days? After 30 days they are being offered a PT sup position.

brown_trousers

1982 Starting pay $8/hr plus $1/hr to work preload = $9/hr. 35 years later, 2017 $10/hr and no $1/hr for working preload. A $1.00 an hour raise in 35 years.

The sentiment around these forums is that since part-timers dont vote, they deserve nothing. Minimum wage, no benefits, use em and abuse em, then kick them out the door

brown_trousers

They could dictate the outcome of a contract

But, they don’t

There may come a day, when UPS uses the lack of part time union involvement to break our union.

It may be in our best interest to make part time work at UPS a more lucrative job, in hopes to attract and keep part timers that favor the union.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
There may come a day, when UPS uses the lack of part time union involvement to break our union.

It may be in our best interest to make part time work at UPS a more lucrative job, in hopes to attract and keep part timers that favor the union.
Part timers won’t even vote for a contract or election, I don’t expect the to vote for a decert.

ThatOnePreloader

Part timers won’t even vote for a contract or election, I don’t expect the to vote for a decert.
I feel that part of the problems is PTers aren’t informed. Sure drivers know all about the union and what’s going on but a lot of the new hires don’t even know UPS is unionized unless they develop a relationship with a driver or steward that educates them about union issues (that or they stumble across this forum) others may not know how to vote, or simply don’t stay long enough to hit a voting cycle.

Indecisi0n

I feel that part of the problems is PTers aren’t informed. Sure drivers know all about the union and what’s going on but a lot of the new hires don’t even know UPS is unionized unless they develop a relationship with a driver or steward that educates them about union issues (that or they stumble across this forum) others may not know how to vote, or simply don’t stay long enough to hit a voting cycle.
Ignorance is no excuse. They get a contract book like anyone else. Some choose to read it others do not. They are only short changing themselves.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Don’t they ask why dues and initiation is taken out of their checks? And once they do find out that there is a union, they never attend meetings. Now I apologize for making a broad blanket statement for part-timers, don’t get me wrong there are a lot of part-timers that are informed and participate in union activity. But the majority do not.

Big Babooba

I'm sure that we will maintain what we currently have in our building. Our preloaders will keep the 15 cent per hour night differential pay which will mean that they will make 15 cents per hour more than a package driver.

Last edited: