Preload Pay - 2018 Contract (On Topic)

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional
Don’t they ask why dues and initiation is taken out of their checks? And once they do find out that there is a union, they never attend meetings. Now I apologize for making a broad blanket statement for part-timers, don’t get me wrong there are a lot of part-timers that are informed and participate in union activity. But the majority do not.
At least in my center, we have to opt in for the union. We’re not required to join as preloaders here. And nobody knows to join since nobody gets word of the union when they start.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I feel that part of the problems is PTers aren’t informed. Sure drivers know all about the union and what’s going on but a lot of the new hires don’t even know UPS is unionized unless they develop a relationship with a driver or steward that educates them about union issues (that or they stumble across this forum) others may not know how to vote, or simply don’t stay long enough to hit a voting cycle.

Many of the drivers also have no clue.

Gear

Parts on Order
1982 Starting pay $8/hr plus $1/hr to work preload = $9/hr. 35 years later, 2017 $10/hr and no $1/hr for working preload. A $1.00 an hour raise in 35 years.

If 4/10s are a concession, whats that make this?

I know the part time union negotiations are terrible but when I actually see it, there are no words for how terrible it is. I wouldn't blame the guys living in RTW states not being union.

Gear

Parts on Order
Part timers won’t even vote for a contract or election, I don’t expect the to vote for a decert.

It would be crazy if they did vote to decert. Assuming they never planned to drive, they have nothing to lose. Us full timers would get hammered. Not much left to take off part timers.

OrionIsDaddy

Don’t they ask why dues and initiation is taken out of their checks? And once they do find out that there is a union, they never attend meetings. Now I apologize for making a broad blanket statement for part-timers, don’t get me wrong there are a lot of part-timers that are informed and participate in union activity. But the majority do not.

Right to work state here.

Don' Have to join the union if you don' want to and nobody in management talks about it to part timers

MynameisNeigan

The thing is most part time jobs are filled by young personnel, and most don’t even know the basics of the Union. Many don’t even know supervisors are not supposed to be working. That is why the part timers contract is where it’s been. $2.50 raise I the past 30 some years. Don’t expect much 2018.

PT Car Washer

The thing is most part time jobs are filled by young personnel, and most don’t even know the basics of the Union. Many don’t even know supervisors are not supposed to be working. That is why the part timers contract is where it’s been. $2.50 raise I the past 30 some years. Don’t expect much 2018.
Minimum wage job with no benefits and you think PT should join the Union and pay dues. Why?

PT Car Washer

As in part timers don' even know it exist. Never brought up, not even in orientation.

I never learned how to sign up for it when I was part time.
UPS used to give the Union Steward a few minutes during orientation to talk to new hires about the benefits of joining the Union. Guess lately they can't think of anything to say.

MynameisNeigan

Minimum wage job with no benefits and you think PT should join the Union and pay dues. Why?
You are not getting my point. Most part timers are not educated on the union and union procedures and why they are there. They just show up to work and that’s it. Took me a good 6 months for someone to explain to me why it was there since I never had a union job before. Management won’t tell you. Other employees unless educated on it and active won’t really explain it to you. When I learned what I could do as a PT employee with the union, that’s when I really made more $ getting those grievance checks feels good. Sups would actually not come around my PD after u would file weekly