Preload Pay - 2018 Contract (On Topic)

RealPerson

LOL @ $13 keep up the High turnover and low quality of workers.

Target is set to be at $12 in a year or so, said to be $15 in a couple of years after.

Several companies saying $15 per hour now with the Trump tax cut.

Given the length of the contract, we will be low man on pay again.
Keep in mind watch for the Union to cut benefits (blame it on ups)

I say at Least $18 starting, with the new tax cuts.
More if insurance gets cut or reduced.

My honest thoughts --- IF health insurance works like Trump hopes it will, you should see competition, and plans going down or staying the same. (Fingers crossed)
Then with the huge tax cut on business, boom.....

If we don't get those and give back, expect the union membership to go way down.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Sorry man hate to tell you that inside building guys get screwed come contract time. You need to vote and a lot of pt workers don’t vote so the contract doesn’t reflect in your favor. We need better pay for pt workers I was one for 5 years but nothing has changed in 11 years I have been here good luck

browntroll

like i was always told the union is more involved with drivers since they pay more on union dues
compared to part timers. it makes sense since in my hub business agents mostly hang out with the drivers
and rarely go deep into the hub where most part timers are. contract talks are going to be interesting considering
lots of cities have different minimum wages but same local.

RealPerson

$18/hr to start? No way.

$15/hr to start with a cap of $20/hr would be more appropriate.

$15 would be a Joke with many other companies starting at $15, or will be in 2ish years or less.
Target is currently at $11 and several companies already announced $15 with the new tax reform.

RealPerson

like i was always told the union is more involved with drivers since they pay more on union dues
compared to part timers. it makes sense since in my hub business agents mostly hang out with the drivers
and rarely go deep into the hub where most part timers are. contract talks are going to be interesting considering
lots of cities have different minimum wages but same local.

The Drivers Pay More???? WRONG
Well mostly wrong. You pay the same math formula based on hourly rate of pay.
Thus, paying thousands of PT people more starting wages the union pay would go up.

km3

$15 would be a Joke with many other companies starting at $15, or will be in 2ish years or less.
Target is currently at $11 and several companies already announced $15 with the new tax reform.

$15 to start is good. Our benefits put what other companies offer to shame. If you want the starting wage to be more than $15, get ready to kiss healthcare for PTers goodbye.

For once Upstate is being more generous to union members than I would have been. If you ask me, the starting wage should be $14. Top out at about $22.

km3

The Drivers Pay More???? WRONG
Well mostly wrong. You pay the same math formula based on hourly rate of pay.
Thus, paying thousands of PT people more starting wages the union pay would go up.

The idea of the union showing favoritism to FTers because of the dues they pay has always struck a nerve with me. They pay more in dues yes, but if they had negotiated a higher rate for PTers, they could get more dues from us too. That one's on them.

RealPerson

$15 to start is good. Our benefits put what other companies offer to shame. If you want the starting wage to be more than $15, get ready to kiss healthcare for PTers goodbye.

For once Upstate is being more generous to union members than I would have been. If you ask me, the starting wage should be $14. Top out at about $22.
You do understand that the benefits are controlled by the Union?
UPS just pays the union a set amount per hour per employee for benefits and retirement.
There is NO reason for this amount to go down, now that Trump is saving companies millions / billions with the tax cuts...

km3

You do understand that the benefits are controlled by the Union?
UPS just pays the union a set amount per hour per employee for benefits and retirement.
There is NO reason for this amount to go down, now that Trump is saving companies millions / billions with the tax cuts...

Right. The company may want to stop making payments on behalf of PTers if starting PT wages go too high.

rudy5150

Top out at 22? Why would you top out a part timer making chump change while drivers are making 37hr plus raises? Thats ridiculous!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just cuz you chose truck driving as a career doesn't entitle you to anything more than a preloader

I didn't grow up wanting to be a delivery driver. I got out of the military after having spent the last 6 months of my enlistment sending out countless resumes with no response. This job kind of fell in to my lap and, with a young family that I needed to support, I accepted the position and the rest is history.

rudy5150

I didn't grow up wanting to be a delivery driver. I got out of the military after having spent the last 6 months of my enlistment sending out countless resumes with no response. This job kind of fell in to my lap and, with a young family that I needed to support, I accepted the position and the rest is history.

Im not bashing truck driving as a career it just isn't for some people. Preloaders/sorters yes are part time but still deserve a decent hourly wage thats all i was saying.