Promoting racism, division and hate...Critical Race Theory.

Thebrownblob

"A Minneapolis teachers union contract stipulates that white teachers will be laid off or reassigned before “educators of color” in the event Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) needs to reduce staff.

After the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT) and MPS struck a deal on March 25 to end a 14-day teacher strike, the two sides drew up and ratified a new collective bargaining agreement complete with various proposals.

One of the proposals dealt with “educators of color protections.” The agreement states that if a non-white teacher is subject to excess, MPS must excess a white teacher with the “next least” seniority.

“Starting with the Spring 2023 Budget Tie-Out Cycle, if excessing a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the site, the District shall excess the next least senior teacher, who is not a member of an underrepresented population,” the agreement reads.

According to the United Federation of Teachers, “excessing” means “reducing staff in a particular school when there is a reduction in the number of available positions in a title or license area in that school.”

The agreement adds that non-white teachers, as well as those working in various programs, “may be exempted from district-wide layoff outside seniority order.” The agreement also prioritizes the reinstatement of teachers from “underrepresented populations” over white teachers."
How sad I don’t know what to say to that. Can’t even believe that’s true. SMH

Box Ox

How sad I don’t know what to say to that. Can’t even believe that’s true. SMH

And it's probably only going to get worse.

This is also being covered by the Star Tribune in Minneapolis:

"It can be a national model, and schools in other states are looking to emulate what we did," said Edward Barlow, a band teacher at Anwatin Middle School and a member of the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board. "Even though it doesn't do everything that we wanted it to do, it's still a huge move forward for the retention of teachers of color."

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
And it's probably only going to get worse.

This is also being covered by the Star Tribune in Minneapolis:

"It can be a national model, and schools in other states are looking to emulate what we did," said Edward Barlow, a band teacher at Anwatin Middle School and a member of the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers executive board. "Even though it doesn't do everything that we wanted it to do, it's still a huge move forward for the retention of teachers of color."
They want us divided.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

"A Minneapolis teachers union contract stipulates that white teachers will be laid off or reassigned before “educators of color” in the event Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) needs to reduce staff.

After the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT) and MPS struck a deal on March 25 to end a 14-day teacher strike, the two sides drew up and ratified a new collective bargaining agreement complete with various proposals.

One of the proposals dealt with “educators of color protections.” The agreement states that if a non-white teacher is subject to excess, MPS must excess a white teacher with the “next least” seniority.

“Starting with the Spring 2023 Budget Tie-Out Cycle, if excessing a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the site, the District shall excess the next least senior teacher, who is not a member of an underrepresented population,” the agreement reads.

According to the United Federation of Teachers, “excessing” means “reducing staff in a particular school when there is a reduction in the number of available positions in a title or license area in that school.”

The agreement adds that non-white teachers, as well as those working in various programs, “may be exempted from district-wide layoff outside seniority order.” The agreement also prioritizes the reinstatement of teachers from “underrepresented populations” over white teachers."
Racism, pure and simple.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Spent years trying to get us to not see color and to treat everyone as equal and is exactly what I taught my kids. Now some evil faction wants us to go backwards? Sorry that’s not going to happen for me. Oh and equality and equity are not the same thing. They are lying to people.
Equity of outcome regardless of effort. I don’t think so.

Thebrownblob

That's literally what the seniority system at UPS does.
Not even close. Matter fact I spent half the night on here consoling a little crybaby who does the same job I do because he assumed I’m rich. we are equal in every way except his inability to spend his money properly. So we do not have the same Equity. That person‘s fault not mine. Boo hoo, seniority system just make sure a kiss ass doesn’t get a head.

wilberforce15

Not even close. Matter fact I spent half the night on here consoling a little crybaby who does the same job I do because he assumed I’m rich. we are equal in every way except his inability to spend his money properly. So we do not have the same Equity. That person‘s fault not mine. Boo hoo, seniority system just make sure a kiss ass doesn’t get a head.
The seniority makes sure a kiss-ass doesn't get ahead. It also makes sure a hard worker doesn't get ahead.

It's the very definition of equal treatment or reward regardless of behavior.

Thebrownblob

The seniority makes sure a kiss-ass doesn't get ahead. It also makes sure a hard worker doesn't get ahead.

It's the very definition of equal treatment or reward regardless of behavior.
Nothing wrong with the equal treatment. What I’m talking about is someone telling me everyone should have the same equity. That’s an impossibility unless you physically steal from me or vice versa.

wilberforce15

Nothing wrong with the equal treatment. What I’m talking about is someone telling me everyone should have the same equity. That’s an impossibility unless you physically steal from me or vice versa.
UnionWeak was mad because people got the same reward regardless of how they work. Just for existing.
That's exactly what seniority does.
You get the same no matter what you do or how hard you work.

Thebrownblob

UnionWeak was mad because people got the same reward regardless of how they work. Just for existing.
That's exactly what seniority does.
You get the same no matter what you do or how hard you work.
Those are not rewards that is compensation for hard work and perseverance. I don’t concern myself with the fact the man or woman next to me makes the same wage I do. The job is equally hard for both of us. If that person wants to work faster and go home sooner that’s reward enough. It still does not guarantee the same equity of outcomes.

wilberforce15

Those are not rewards that is compensation for hard work and perseverance. I don’t concern myself with the fact the man or woman next to me makes the same wage I do. The job is equally hard for both of us. If that person wants to work faster and go home sooner that’s reward enough. It still does not guarantee the same equity of outcomes.
It's a reward for not being fired.
You get the same pay no matter what you do or how you behave.

Unionweak didn't like that with teachers. But he's fine with it for teamsters.