PT vs FT Union Dues

PT Crazy

Why do I pay $89/month in union dues as a part timer? A driver pays nearly the same amount per month. The union and the local bend over backwards for full timers. Maybe the drivers should pay double what part timers do! Larger percentage of a part timers pay goes to dues. We go to meetings....vote, etc. no one hears us.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Your dues should be regulated by your rate. If you are paying that much, I'm guessing you have been there quite a while. Your by laws and the Constitution control the rest.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Why do I pay $89/month in union dues as a part timer? A driver pays nearly the same amount per month. The union and the local bend over backwards for full timers. Maybe the drivers should pay double what part timers do! Larger percentage of a part timers pay goes to dues. We go to meetings....vote, etc. no one hears us.
Maybe you should go full time then.
I pay 3x my hourly rate as a full timer.
So instead of trying to get yours reduced, you think the answer is to double a drivers dues?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Seems about right

Rack em

Made the Podium
It's not just the dues. It's the high initiation fee.
The dues need to be in place to keep the union running, but the initiation fees are dumb and need to go. Ours here are like $75 which isn't too bad, but I've heard of places being $500! That's ridiculous.

The dues need to be in place to keep the union running, but the initiation fees are dumb and need to go. Ours here are like $75 which isn't too bad, but I've heard of places being $500! That's ridiculous.
$100 part time and $200 full time. It's always been that way. Actually the union hasn't kept up with inflation here.

PT Car Washer

The Union can't get away with outrageous initiation fees in RTW states. Ours are like $20 for PT. And a lot of PT are Union members after a short while of getting jerked around by management. I pay the same Union dues as FT and more then Art 22.3 employees.

PT Car Washer

I'm not arguing with you. As you may remember decades ago. This was a good part time job.
It was a good PT job and a good FT job. FT hourly pay was about the same as all other Union jobs. I remember drivers quitting to work another Union job because of less forced OT and more normal hours.