Question about paying drivers: Fedex vs. UPS

MAKAVELI

Hell, even $600/week on the east coast is garbage for wages.
How many hours per week? I was basing it on 40. Not garbage but not living large either.
Most ground drivers are paid salary so it doesn't matter if it's 40 hours or 70 hours. That's part of the scam. Btw $600 a week before taxes for this line of work is garbage. But I really wouldn't expect someone who sits behind a desk to understand that. But you wouldn't be the only one.

Hate 150lb Packages

Bro, I work 50 hours per week minimum and just took a 20% pay cut. I'm salaried at 520 per week now. Find some other thing to put your money into. I'm sure you have honest intentions, but this place is a risky venture. The guys in my terminal barely make above minimum wage. Even if you become a successful contractor, what will the measure of your life be? Money? What satisfaction will this give to you? There are so many other rewarding opportunities. Even if you have honest intentions and could turn a decent profit, think about the model you are perpetuating. UPS gives their guys more than enough to live on, plus benefits because they have a strong union. You will be part of the equation that pushes long hours for low pay and no benefits. Don't do that to one or two or five drivers please. True, those drivers may end up working at some other entry level job, but what if they didn't? Being a driver for those wages has broken my body and my mind. Please consider the implications of what you are doing. There is also every chance you could get screwed on the deal. Invest in a rewarding career for yourself, save the money, or if you like the idea of a franchise, look at something like fast food.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Bro, I work 50 hours per week minimum and just took a 20% pay cut. I'm salaried at 520 per week now. Find some other thing to put your money into. I'm sure you have honest intentions, but this place is a risky venture. The guys in my terminal barely make above minimum wage. Even if you become a successful contractor, what will the measure of your life be? Money? What satisfaction will this give to you? There are so many other rewarding opportunities. Even if you have honest intentions and could turn a decent profit, think about the model you are perpetuating. UPS gives their guys more than enough to live on, plus benefits because they have a strong union. You will be part of the equation that pushes long hours for low pay and no benefits. Don't do that to one or two or five drivers please. True, those drivers may end up working at some other entry level job, but what if they didn't? Being a driver for those wages has broken my body and my mind. Please consider the implications of what you are doing. There is also every chance you could get screwed on the deal. Invest in a rewarding career for yourself, save the money, or if you like the idea of a franchise, look at something like fast food.

Salaried at $520 per week and working 50+ hours? Time to move-on to something better. You seem way too sharp to be a Ground tool.

Hate 150lb Packages

Thank you for the kind words. Im on my way out MrFedEx. It wasn't an easy decision, but the announced a paycut this morning at sort. 635 down to 520. Just a way to pay through college. I'm sad to go, because I like to better my environment, but it is not possible here. I worked in government before so it should be fairly easy to transition back to it hopefully. I didn't enjoy that immensely, but if I sprained my ankle there, I didn't have to worry about not having a job.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
FedEx screwing you guys. Ill take my 140 stops at UPS anyday of the week over FEDEX. Granted you guys don't have as many stops as us(fedex ground exception) but at same time those less stops means not getting payed as much either. Ill take an :censored2: whooping everyday at 32 bux an hour and health benefits over a half day at fedex any day of the week lol. Don't take it the wrong way im just saying Fred S is a big freakin peckerhead dude. That's bs what he does to you guys that work for fedex.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thank you for the kind words. Im on my way out MrFedEx. It wasn't an easy decision, but the announced a paycut this morning at sort. 635 down to 520. Just a way to pay through college. I'm sad to go, because I like to better my environment, but it is not possible here. I worked in government before so it should be fairly easy to transition back to it hopefully. I didn't enjoy that immensely, but if I sprained my ankle there, I didn't have to worry about not having a job.

Just curious. What reason did your contractor give for cutting the pay? Seriously...you are meant for better things. This will be a blessing in disguise.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You need to start educating yourself before you buy anything. This forum would be a good start, but it sounds like you're new to the industry. Do some research on FedEx Ground and UPS. FYI, the new contract will have UPS package car drivers at around $31 per hour unless they are in a high-dollar living area, then they make more. That, plus 100% medical and a great pension.

UPS package car and feeder drivers make $32.71/hr right now, and that's without the $0.70 raise received August 1st (will be computed as back pay once all of our supplements are passed.) They'll top out around $36/hr by the end of the contract in 2018. Granted, that's after a 4 year progression, but all drivers that have completed progression are making the same wage. There are no pay differentials region-to-region (to the best of my knowledge); pay rates are set by the National Master Agreement. Feeder drivers receive premium pay if they're pulling doubles or triples. Time and a half for anything over 8 hours for full-timers.

Regional pay differences are one of the tools Fred S uses to keep you guys divided.

Cliff notes: You guys are getting absolutely boned.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UPS package car and feeder drivers make $32.71/hr right now, and that's without the $0.70 raise received August 1st (will be computed as back pay once all of our supplements are passed.) They'll top out around $36/hr by the end of the contract in 2018. Granted, that's after a 4 year progression, but all drivers that have completed progression are making the same wage. There are no pay differentials region-to-region (to the best of my knowledge); pay rates are set by the National Master Agreement. Feeder drivers receive premium pay if they're pulling doubles or triples. Time and a half for anything over 8 hours for full-timers.

Regional pay differences are one of the tools Fred S uses to keep you guys divided.

Cliff notes: You guys are getting absolutely boned.

I've heard there are contractual supplements for high-dollar areas, like San Francisco or NYC. Is this accurate? We are certainly getting boned...hard.

Nick9075

I've heard there are contractual supplements for high-dollar areas, like San Francisco or NYC. Is this accurate? We are certainly getting boned...hard.

well how easy is it to get hired as a driver for ups without previous experience ? But this is why it's hard to find people who will work for fedex ground and home delivery at what many contractors think is a good rate of $700 a week for 10 - 12 hours a day. Seems many in the terminal where I am however aren't doing so badly. Some pretty nice cars parked there, I don't think they all belong to the mgmt or contractors

MAKAVELI

well how easy is it to get hired as a driver for ups without previous experience ? But this is why it's hard to find people who will work for fedex ground and home delivery at what many contractors think is a good rate of $700 a week for 10 - 12 hours a day. Seems many in the terminal where I am however aren't doing so badly. Some pretty nice cars parked there, I don't think they all belong to the mgmt or contractors
My guess that would be the younger drivers who still lives with mom and papa.

hypo hanna

Just because you can secure a loan, doesn't necessasarily mean you can afford it.

Nick9075

Just because you can secure a loan, doesn't necessasarily mean you can afford it.

I know that but somehow the media just blames the lenders not people who use credit cards as an extension of income to show this fake wealth.

No one at my terminal looks like they are having to do without the latest toys, designer clothing, smartphone, those $250 headphones. The average rent in this area is over $2000 and owning a home isn't even thought about unless you are lucky enough to inherit one.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Getting to package car can take awhile, and getting into feeders can really take a long time. I worked for UPS a couple of years as a seasonal employee driving feeders, and although they loved me, it would have been a long time as a sorter before there was any chance at being a driver. It is probably different at other locations. I simply couldn't afford to wait. If you CAN afford to wait, UPS is well worth it.

DontThrowPackages

Just curious. What reason did your contractor give for cutting the pay? Seriously...you are meant for better things. This will be a blessing in disguise.
Probably caught them with smiles on their faces. "Smiling employees? I see opportunity for growth...of my bank account that is".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

What was the reasoning behind the pay cut? FedEx ground already has massive profit margins.