Question about paying drivers: Fedex vs. UPS

Nolimitz

not only is the data BS. It's already 3 yrs old[h=3]Food[/h]Data are from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s 2010 low-cost food plan. Regional adjustment factors are from the U.S. Department of Argriculture Economic Research Service.
[h=3]Child Care[/h]Data are from the report Parents and the High Cost of Child Care – 2011 Update published by the National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies.
[h=3]Healthcare[/h]Data are from the 2010 Consumer Expenditure Survey and the 2010 wave of the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey.
[h=3]Housing[/h]Data are from 2010 Fair Market Rents produced by U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development.
[h=3]Transportation[/h]Data and regional adjustment factors are from the 2010 Consumer Expenditure Survey.
[h=3]Other Necessities[/h]Data and regional adjustment factors are from the 2010 Consumer Expenditure Survey.
[h=3]Taxes[/h]These figures include estimated Federal payroll taxes as well as Federal and State income taxes for the 2011 tax year.
[h=3]Wages by Occupational Group[/h]These figures reflect May 2010 State-Level Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates produced by the U.S. Department of Labor.
[h=3]Minimum Wage[/h]These figures reflect official Federal and State minimum wage rates as of June 1, 2010, published by the U.S. Department of Labor.
[h=3]Poverty Level[/h]These figures reflect official 2010 poverty thresholds produced by the U.S. Census Bureau.

bbsam

Staff member
So you think wages have miraculously jumped 40% in 3 years? You don't have to like the numbers, but they are fairly recent as far as statistical data is concerned.

Nolimitz

I have no idea how the numbers were compiled But what possible difference does occupation make in determining a livable decent wage. see below for NYC. Last category fits this discussion to a tee.
[h=2]Typical Hourly Wages[/h]These are the typical hourly rates for various professions in this location. Wages that are below the living wage for one adult supporting one child are marked in red.
Occupational AreaTypical Hourly Wage
Management$53.36
Business and Financial Operations$33.91
Computer and Mathematical$36.08
Architecture and Engineering$33.74
Life, Physical and social Science$27.71
Community and Social Services$20.78
Legal$46.00
Education, Training and Library$25.20
Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports and Media$27.23
Healthcare Practitioner and Technical$32.12
Healthcare Support$13.17
Protective Service$21.04
Food Preparation and Serving Related$9.61
Building and Grounds Cleaning and maintenance$13.32
Personal care and Services$10.99
Sales and Related$13.38
Office and Administrative Support$16.37
Farming, Fishing and Forestry$13.36
Construction and Extraction$23.99
Installation, Maintenance and Repair$21.09
Production$14.83
Transportation and Material Moving$15.53

CJinx

Arrogant much?
Well, yeah. What did you think was going on?
And you are a maroon to boot. We risk our lives daily on road. that alone is worth more than $15 an hour.
Risking your life? What, are you driving recklessly or something? Or are you referring to the notion that you spend more time behind the wheel or an automobile? Fast food employees spend more time with hot oil than you or I, should they be getting hazard pay for that? Facetious argument, I'm sure; but we all put ourselves a risk getting to and doing our jobs. I have to clean up hazmat. You drive. The fry guy burns his fingers. Best practices minimize any risk we face.
Wow, lot of people sitting on the fence about you. You just made me hop over.
Hmm. Either thank you for your support or I'm sorry if I offended you. Sometimes the best way to get honest answers out of people is to yank their chains.

overflowed

Risking your life? What, are you driving recklessly or something? Or are you referring to the notion that you spend more time behind the wheel or an automobile? Fast food employees spend more time with hot oil than you or I, should they be getting hazard pay for that? Facetious argument, I'm sure; but we all put ourselves a risk getting to and doing our jobs. I have to clean up hazmat. You drive. The fry guy burns his fingers. Best practices minimize any risk we face.

Your kidding right?

overflowed

Hmm. Either thank you for your support or I'm sorry if I offended you. Sometimes the best way to get honest answers out of people is to yank their chains.[/QUOTE]

Looks like SPH yanked your chain then. And no, you don't offend me at all.

MAKAVELI

Arrogant much?
And you are a maroon to boot. We risk our lives daily on road. that alone is worth more than $15 an hour.
Wow, lot of people sitting on the fence about you. You just made me hop over.
Hmm. Either thank you for your support or I'm sorry if I offended you. Sometimes the best way to get honest answers out of people is to yank their chains.
Why don't you Google how many people have died from driving a truck, including other vehicles involved vs. people dying from a food fryer? You just come up with some idiotic statements. I'm going to chalk it up to ignorance and not much life experience. Best practices? Now you are really starting to sound like a manager. Btw best practices have been thrown out the window by management. They only care about productivity and haven't mentioned best practices in years. The word safety comes up very seldomly and only in passing. " Oh by the way be safe out there". Yea right! It's obvious that you soak up all the bulls hit management spews out and believe it's the gospel. Like I said, you want to know reality, get in a truck.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Can you explain why a job that requires no schooling and no particular skill set should pay more?

No schooling? I remember my Dad schooling me upside down in the lost art of safe driving when I had a (key word incoming) learner's permit. I also succinctly remember having to pass three tests (cognitive, practical, and eyesight, and in that order) to receive a driver's license. Granted, one cannot be taught eyesight...but it is tested.

Then you have to have the physical conditioning required to perform the job and the mental strength to not quit the job after repetitively being told "you suck". The only other job I know of that requires these attributes is a professional athlete, and they tend to do very well.

No schooling or skill set indeed. You usually are a spot-on poster, but you punched your own ticket for a ride on the short bus this time.

STFXG

there is no freaking way a person can have a "decent" life in NYC on $12.75 Those number are full-O-crap

Its not meant for you to live "decent". It's what you can get by on. I'm not the one that uses the "Express doesn't pay a livable wage" argument. Just pointing out facts.

STFXG

No schooling? I remember my Dad schooling me upside down in the lost art of safe driving when I had a (key word incoming) learner's permit. I also succinctly remember having to pass three tests (cognitive, practical, and eyesight, and in that order) to receive a driver's license. Granted, one cannot be taught eyesight...but it is tested.

Then you have to have the physical conditioning required to perform the job and the mental strength to not quit the job after repetitively being told "you suck". The only other job I know of that requires these attributes is a professional athlete, and they tend to do very well.

No schooling or skill set indeed. You usually are a spot-on poster, but you punched your own ticket for a ride on the short bus this time.

Post of the year!!! Let's recap.

-Driving test and a vision test are considered secondary education.

-Couriers are comparable to professional athletes.

​Love it!

MAKAVELI

Do you have a point? The calculator also shows the poverty wage for your area... Good to see you almost made it past the header.

Yes I did, the poverty vs the living wage is 50 CENTS.
As long as his drivers can get food stamps and sec 8 housing he figures it's a " livable wage". While he eats filets and ribeyes, his drivers work 12 hours and eat government cheese. But hey it's a " livable wage".

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Its not meant for you to live "decent". It's what you can get by on. I'm not the one that uses the "Express doesn't pay a livable wage" argument. Just pointing out facts.

"Livable wage"= "fair wage", no? If so, you should look up the word "decent".

of an acceptable standard; satisfactory.
"find me a decent cup of coffee"

synonyms:
satisfactory, reasonable, fair, acceptable, adequate, sufficient, ample; Morenot bad, all right, tolerable, passable, suitable;
informalOK, okay, up to snuff
"a job with decent pay"