Raise In A Couple of Weeks!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Really?!?!? Jury duty is that awful to you?

There are plenty of ways to get out of it.

Have you ever been?

Get out of it? Sure state is easy, federal; you better be on your death bed before they grant you a pass.

It sucked when its was sent to me during peak season. The few months when a PT guy actually make some good money before it ends and we go back to the same old. If state or the fed sent it any other time of the 11 months, I would been first to be asking to get in on the choosen list. No vacation time or optional days used, or else paper. It wouldve been a blessing vacation from UPS.

The overall joke was they were asking during a good pay time to take time off for money that was nearly 1/3 of earned at the job. Theres many people out of work or on SOS or WIK and homeless that would fight for the money. Yet lack a proper suit, which they had.

Federal is the worst you can pull, EVER!

moreluck

golden ticket member
My first time serving in CA. was $5 an hour.........it cost more than that todrive from Mission Viejo to Westminster.......then parking? Then lunch? Ripoff!!

Second time serving Oct. '11 was $15 an hour and covered my trip to Newport Justice Center.....for 3 days.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I love jury duty. 8 hours pay for doing nothing.

I was called to jury duty for the first two weeks of peak this year.
It was sweet.
8 hrs of pay and was on my way home most days by 1pm.
They had high speed WiFi.
The IPad got a workout.
Got caught up on my HBO GO and got to spend a lot of time on BC, except for the 2 days I was in time out.

S

serenity now

I was called to jury duty for the first two weeks of peak this year.
It was sweet.
8 hrs of pay and was on my way home most days by 1pm.
They had high speed WiFi.
The IPad got a workout.
Got caught up on my HBO GO and got to spend a lot of time on BC, except for the 2 days I was in time out.

why were you in time out?

tourists24

Sure he will. He'll be bellyaching about how the government screwed up his SS and his Medicare. You're just wasting time arguing with people like this. They only see the AM radio side of the argument instead of the real world side. I was just arguing with a conservative friend yesterday about freedom issues. He said no one had the right to say anything about his smoking. He said the government had no right to infringe upon his right to do what he wanted. I said I agreed. But I asked him why I, and the rest of US taxpayers, had to pay the medical care he will require for his inevitable health issues if and when he turns 65. He refused to acknowledge that US taxpayers eventually will soak up the health care for smokers once they get on Medicare. No amount of arguing could convince him.

This guy is no different.
No different? You have painted me with a very broad brush.... Ive never claimed to be a republican because Im not.... but I do have a problem when my taxes go up when the promise was they wouldnt. I dont care who took a part in it... I have no affiliation and will voice my displeasure with D and R.

As far as your conservative friend...i do agree with him though... It should be none of your business. But since we have no choice but to participate in paying those taxes, you feel like you have a right to tell others how to live. Bellyaching in the future; possibly. If there were an opt out option I would gladly take it so you wouldnt have to pay for my own mistakes. If the government would spend more time trying to curb stupid spending there would be no need to raise our taxes at every turn

bbsam

Staff member
Tourist
Check your history. That tax cut was always temporary. If you think you were lied to about that, it's because you wanted to believe something that was never stated.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
why were you in time out?

It was actually unofficial and for questioning being moderated.
All I could get was a message that said "server is busy, try back later".
Oddly though, that was only when I was signed in.
Otherwise, I had no problem surfing the site, just couldn't post.
It's all water under the bridge now...I think?

tourists24

Tourist
Check your history. That tax cut was always temporary. If you think you were lied to about that, it's because you wanted to believe something that was never stated.
I know BB... that particular piece wasnt what I was speaking of...... but if it were dropped to produce stimulus, it makes sense that lowering taxes is better.... I would just like to have seen it stay there.....the whole fiscal cliff deal was set to end also, but got "fixed" last minute... it can happen

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I know BB... that particular piece wasnt what I was speaking of...... but if it were dropped to produce stimulus, it makes sense that lowering taxes is better.... I would just like to have seen it stay there.....the whole fiscal cliff deal was set to end also, but got "fixed" last minute... it can happen

"Technically" it was "set to end" but both parties supported extending the Bush-era tax cuts, except that Republicans wanted every cut extended whereas Democrats wanted them extended for all but the top 1% earners - hence the process dragging out.

As much as I despise taxes, historically societies raised taxes to support things such as war efforts. Bush cut taxes, then ran up trillions on war efforts (and yes, Obama has also added trillions to the deficit).

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
No different? You have painted me with a very broad brush.... Ive never claimed to be a republican because Im not.... but I do have a problem when my taxes go up when the promise was they wouldnt. I dont care who took a part in it... I have no affiliation and will voice my displeasure with D and R.

As far as your conservative friend...i do agree with him though... It should be none of your business. But since we have no choice but to participate in paying those taxes, you feel like you have a right to tell others how to live. Bellyaching in the future; possibly. If there were an opt out option I would gladly take it so you wouldnt have to pay for my own mistakes. If the government would spend more time trying to curb stupid spending there would be no need to raise our taxes at every turn

Maybe you aren't Republican, yet you said 'Obama's' tax increase. Didn't see where you said Republican tax increase. Maybe you just forgot that part. And no one promised that the cut in FICA tax was going to be permanent. And that temporary cut was Obama's idea, not Republican's. Since you are not in favor of putting the original 6.2% FICA tax rate back in effect, I assume you are not one of those people saying we need to take necessary steps to shore up Social Security. Otherwise, how do you propose we save SS?

You must not read my comments about my conversation with my conservative friend. Where did I say I would tell others how to live? I didn't. I said the opposite, but you must have missed that part. I believe if alcohol and tobacco can be bought over the counter, so should every other drug, particularly marijuana, which has NEVER killed anyone. Look it up. But I would be curious to know the opinion of smokers who complain about government spending, because whether they admit it or not, they will most likely be soaking up more government money than non smokers once they reach 65 years old.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It was actually unofficial and for questioning being moderated.
All I could get was a message that said "server is busy, try back later".
Oddly though, that was only when I was signed in.
Otherwise, I had no problem surfing the site, just couldn't post.
It's all water under the bridge now...I think?

They do get touchy here, don't they?

A

anonymous6

i wouldn't call it a raise. Last years' (raises) did not even cover the cost of living increases. I spent $250 more in gas in 2012 than 2011, spent $350 more in groceries, $150 more on insurance, more on propane, more on electricity and water, more on the phone, more on over the counter meds , more on all necessities.

only thing we spent less on was Christmas and that is because we spent so much more on everyhting else.

I just don't see how people can live on SS and other fixed incomes. i sent $3000 to my elderly parents so they would not have to scrimp so much.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
i wouldn't call it a raise. Last years' (raises) did not even cover the cost of living increases. I spent $250 more in gas in 2012 than 2011, spent $350 more in groceries, $150 more on insurance, more on propane, more on electricity and water, more on the phone, more on over the counter meds , more on all necessities.

only thing we spent less on was Christmas and that is because we spent so much more on everyhting else.

I just don't see how people can live on SS and other fixed incomes. i sent $3000 to my elderly parents so they would not have to scrimp so much.

Try telling the millions of Americans who won't get a raise this year, or the millions more Americans who've taken hefty pay cuts over the past decade, 'well... it isn't really a raise.'

I'm a lowly PT employee who earns in the low $20,000s. I earned less in 2012 than 2011, despite the pair of raises, because they've aggressively been cutting PT hours here. Yet, in all honestly, I live a good life -- probably equivalent to somebody earning twice as much as me. It's called budgeting, planning, saving and preparing. I'm sorry you had to send $3,000 to your elderly parents so they didn't have to "scimp" so much, but people need to learn that you can enjoy a high-quality life without beginning each day with a $4pp Starbucks coffee.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Sadly this tax hike is just the beginning -- Federal and State Governments are out of control. Spend, spend, spend -- it's not their money :(

LOL, I seriously doubt anybody participating within this thread is "fortunate" enough to be affected by the recent tax hike (which is actually a regression of the Bush cuts). The cut in FICA was an Obama program that was always tagged as "temporary."

Most governments have historically run up big deficits during recessions to prevent economic disaster and many will argue (I'm not one) that recent deficits have prevented a depression. The only difference is that the resistance to pay for these deficits is stronger than ever, with many people paying among the lowest effective tax rates for their income bracket in history.

Cue Mitt Romney's plan: further lower taxes, spend $1T more on national defense... and balance the budget. I mean, seriously?? He was successful in balancing the budget in MA, but he shifted the burden onto people in many other ways (among the highest fees for registration renewals, etc.) A de facto hike, no less, for the working man.