Repercussions for crossing a picket line?

HFolb23

I won’t cross the picket line. But if they want they can bring me my truck at my first stop.
I know this is a troll post but to any loser who might read this and contemplate doing it that might be even worse. Too much of a coward to cross the line in front of your brothers and sisters who are doing the right thing so you’ll go hide at your first stop and let a sup bring the truck to you. I hope anyone that does that spends the whole day looking over their shoulder.

rickyb

Are there any monetary or better yet legal consequences for crossing a picket line in the event that we actually do go on strike? I know the old school penalties for crossing a line but I’m curious as to what would happen in 2023 if we have a large percentage of the membership not honor a strike?.. I’m worried that a lot of our new hires and younger employees ( not myself btw) would think that if they work during a strike it could “ move them up” the ranks when in reality we all know the less seniority an employee has the better chance of being laid off the will happen with an obvious drop in volume… anybody have any actual consequences for scabbing?
immediate circumcision and we throw the skin out of the window of a moving car

Shiftless

Are there any monetary or better yet legal consequences for crossing a picket line in the event that we actually do go on strike? I know the old school penalties for crossing a line but I’m curious as to what would happen in 2023 if we have a large percentage of the membership not honor a strike?.. I’m worried that a lot of our new hires and younger employees ( not myself btw) would think that if they work during a strike it could “ move them up” the ranks when in reality we all know the less seniority an employee has the better chance of being laid off the will happen with an obvious drop in volume… anybody have any actual consequences for scabbing?
"old school" you say!

Sorry I haven't read 12 pages of threads, so this is my experience

I hired on right after the 1974 strike. So I cant speak on that .

I was there for the 1997 strike. I had worked for 10 years in a "HUB" and 20 in an out lying center. I only have anecdotes of what was said in the HUB scene.

But what I saw in 97, a 2 week strike was an eye opener. Leaving out whether the strike was warranted or not! I will speak on 5 things I remember very well.

First, in short order, those who chose to cross the line were (which were few) mostly new or young people. I would say after the strike if they didn't go into management they were laid off they quit due to the stress of others about crossing the line.

Second, the mechanics union didn't walk with us. This absolutely changed the position of how drivers interacted with the mechanics. FOR A LONG TIME!

Third, altho I wasn't surprised, you just couldn't believe how many people who were full time had no strike fund saved and were living paycheck to paycheck, EVEN THO the local warned them way in advance!

Fourth, includes the First! UPS lost so much business. Low seniority drivers had no work to come back to. So if you were a young scab you got laid off anyway. Volume was way down for months. BUT! It came back!

Fifth, management and labor stress was thru the roof! Even till the day I retired it never got back to the way it was.

Would I do it again if the company doesn't want to negotiate to an acceptable contract? With the company as profitable as it is. YES

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
"old school" you say!

I was there for the 1997 strike. I had worked for 10 years in a "HUB" and 20 in an out lying center. I only have anecdotes of what was said in the HUB scene.

But what I saw in 97, a 2 week strike was an eye opener. Leaving out whether the strike was warranted or not! I will speak on 5 things I remember very well.

First, in short order, those who chose to cross the line were (which were few) mostly new or young people. I would say after the strike if they didn't go into management they were laid off they quit due to the stress of others about crossing the line.

Second, the mechanics union didn't walk with us. This absolutely changed the position of how drivers interacted with the mechanics. FOR A LONG TIME!

Third, altho I wasn't surprised, you just couldn't believe how many people who were full time had no strike fund saved and were living paycheck to paycheck, EVEN THO the local warned them way in advance!

Fourth, includes the First! UPS lost so much business. Low seniority drivers had no work to come back to. So if you were a young scab you got laid off anyway. Volume was way down for months. BUT! It came back!

Fifth, management and labor stress was thru the roof! Even till the day I retired it never got back to the way it was.

Would I do it again if the company doesn't want to negotiate to an acceptable contract? With the company as profitable as it is. YES
Are your mechanics not teamsters?

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
"old school" you say!

Wow, what union was your mechanics. We are IAM here and we walked in 97... granted that was before my time at UPS but the guys that were here in 97 walked. Are you in the south? Because if so I hear the southern mechanics are super scabby.. most of them are not even members from the way they talk on our facebook groups.

In fact our union already told us we are walking in August. We will be electing strike captains and taking shifts on the line.

oldngray

nowhere special
Wow, what union was your mechanics. We are IAM here and we walked in 97... granted that was before my time at UPS but the guys that were here in 97 walked. Are you in the south? Because if so I hear the southern mechanics are super scabby.. most of them are not even members from the way they talk on our facebook groups.

In fact our union already told us we are walking in August. We will be electing strike captains and taking shifts on the line.
Our mechanics are also IAM and none of them crossed our picket lines