Rollaway

MrBates

So a little back story.. I was out delivering and came back to find my truck nonexistent. It rolled around 50 ft down a hill.. immediately called sup and told him.. he came and picked me up.. Next day came in and received termination papers. Filed grievance and now waiting. Anyone ever had this happen before? How long did it take for local hearing? Chances of getting my job back?

I've seen one guy in our building have a rollaway and hit another parked car. He was able to get his job back. They liked him though, cause he made their numbers.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
No. I was in a hurry I pushed it with my foot. I’m just not 100% sure it was fully engaged
IF you get your job back. Let this be a lesson as to what being in a hurry gets you.

your a teamster who gets paid by the hour to be safe and professional.

It’s your supervisors job to make sure all of ups’ packages get delivered.

O

Oldrow2018

IF you get your job back. Let this be a lesson as to what being in a hurry gets you.

your a teamster who gets paid by the hour to be safe and professional.

It’s your supervisors job to make sure all of ups’ packages get delivered.
Thanks guys

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
He forgot to pop his tractor parking brake. When he hooked up his set, the rear trailer's brakes were locked. When he put air to his rear box, it just started rolling.

Forgot to pop his tractor brake and engage his hand valve? Should not even have to think about this. It should be ingrained habit.

I think it was @trickpony1 who already mentioned it though.

If he was quick thinking enough, he just had to pop the red line off the dolly or the back box. It would stop instantly.

MaceFremonti

The newer Freightshakers beep the horn multiple tines if you open the door without the tractor brakes on. Some of them even do it when the door is closed and you release the tractor brakes...

rod

Retired 22 years
A buddy had his UPS truck roll backwards down a hill for about 30-40 feet and hit a tree that was just barely big enough to keep it from going off a stone wall and into the lake. Home owner just laughed- got his tractor and pulled the guy back up the hill. No damage (at least nothing that couldn't be written off as loading dock damage) so it wasn't reported. What the company don't know don't hurt them. We still give him a hard time about it even now. :-)

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The newer Freightshakers beep the horn multiple tines if you open the door without the tractor brakes on. Some of them even do it when the door is closed and you release the tractor brakes...

That five beeps of the horn is rather annoying.

The KW's just chime if you open the door without the parking brake set.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Forgot to pop his tractor brake and engage his hand valve? Should not even have to think about this.
The guy was a 30+ year feeder driver. Don't know what happened. Maybe he turned his back and didn't realize it started rolling. It broke one of his legs and a hip, among other injuries.

quad decade guy

I’ll give you an “A” for creativity, but methods are methods. Leaving a vehicle running unattended is never a great idea, lmao.

I don't want him anywhere near me. But...if I was a BA I'd start there. Sadly, we have RPCD's

doing all the same stuff on area and on the yard. Feeders too.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I know of one driver who had a roll away years ago. Lucky only hit a post and did minimal damage, but it could have been way worse. Ended up only getting a warning letter I think.

O

Oldrow2018

A buddy had his UPS truck roll backwards down a hill for about 30-40 feet and hit a tree that was just barely big enough to keep it from going off a stone wall and into the lake. Home owner just laughed- got his tractor and pulled the guy back up the hill. No damage (at least nothing that couldn't be written off as loading dock damage) so it wasn't reported. What the company don't know don't hurt them. We still give him a hard time about it even now. :-)
Should have thought about that. I was being honest and look where it got me

Griff

If this post is true. You made a fatal rookie mistake. I do not see how the union would be able to fight this nor do I see how labor or a center manager will be willing to put you back on road. This was a highly unprofessional and dangerous way to make a delivery. You take far too many risks to be put back on road.

He could easily take those skills over to Amazon though. All they do is nose into driveways and make odd decisions all day.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Should have thought about that. I was being honest and look where it got me
It's never worth it NOT to report an accident. You did the right thing by reporting it immediately, and hopefully you will keep your job. If they found out you didn't report an accident then you would 100% be gone with no chance of keeping your job. At least right now you have a chance.

O

Oldrow2018

It's never worth it NOT to report an accident. You did the right thing by reporting it immediately, and hopefully you will keep your job. If they found out you didn't report an accident then you would 100% be gone with no chance of keeping your job. At least right now you have a chance.
Hopefully I’ll find out something soon

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sup pulled me off road
I just saw that in the first post. I had a slideaway once that hit a tree and camper but nothing happened since I had the brake on and car was off. In your situation, I don't think it's going to be a good outcome but this is UPS, and there is one thing that is consistent, and that is, nothing is consistent. Good luck and keep us posted.