RTD Guy's let's hear how life is

vantexan

It applies to the 401k. Is the portable pension similar to a 401k ? Or is it an annuity that pays out a certain amount over your lifetime?
It's a cash balance plan the company replaced our traditional pension with. All company contributions. They pay 4% annually, or to be exact 1% each quarter on current balance. The company contributes a percentage of your pay annually that goes up over time to finally 8% of your gross when you've been with them long enough. Then the 4% interest on top of that. It amounts to something after about 60 years. :)

It's a cash balance plan the company replaced our traditional pension with. All company contributions. They pay 4% annually, or to be exact 1% each quarter on current balance. The company contributes a percentage of your pay annually that goes up over time to finally 8% of your gross when you've been with them long enough. Then the 4% interest on top of that. It amounts to something after about 60 years. :)
But do you have the option to move the money when you retire?

vantexan

Work till I am 70? That is funny I don't care who you are. WHY? I am only working now to lesson my insurance liability for when I retire. Come November and the yearly pension requirement, I will either retire or take my managers offer of working 15-20 hrs a week so I can keep my current insurance premium. Big difference between the $225 a month I pay now and the $2000 a retiree pays. The lump sum insurance payment the company gives now helps but not long term. I will never outlive the money I have set aside. Sitting in very conservative investments and drawing a meager 3 or 4% but that is all I need. Some of my CD's are up to 2.6%. I must be smarter than you. I am not living in a tent thousands of miles from my family.
You are smarter than me. I should've quit FedEx long ago and gone into trucking. Are you taking SS at 62?

Oldfart

I have no problem paying taxes. It's a part of life. I take advantage of every tax break and am curious what the new tax laws are gonna do to my obligation next year. The way I look at it, the more taxes I pay, the more money I must have made in order to owe those taxes.

Csdsm18

So as a semi new Rtd does my future outcome look good if I stayed? I'm supposedly 6yrs away from top rate. What's the most you can get out of our portable pension?

Oldfart

You are smarter than me. I should've quit FedEx long ago and gone into trucking. Are you taking SS at 62?
Been doing the math. Looked into waiting until 66 for SS and taking more from my 401 to make up the difference and when 66 happens, drop my 401k withdrawals down. Kind of like the SS leveling option the pension offers. My 5th grade math showed me I will benefit from taking SS early and keeping a slow steady 401k withdrawal plan. Also depends on if I retire in November or work shorts hrs. I believe 16k in income will result in a SS penalty.

Oldfart

So as a semi new Rtd does my future outcome look good if I stayed? I'm supposedly 6yrs away from top rate. What's the most you can get out of our portable pension?
You can go on the Retirement.Fedex.com website and they have a calculator you can use to figure what your Portable will be based on age, salary and % the company puts in. The calculator is very difficult to find since they changed the site up. You have to really look for it or call retirement to get instructions.

Time for the green flag in Pocono

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
What's the most you can get out of our portable pension?

F51505C6-2819-498C-9C68-525006116212.jpeg

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I only have about 14 years in it and it will buy about 16,000 trips to Starbucks. I am not a Starbucks fan though.
As usual, you can't grasp what I posted. The company contributions don't increase as your age+years of service increase unless you have 20 continuous years of service with FedEx. That means if you retire with "only" 19 years of service, your Portable will essentially only buy you a cup of Starbucks per week in retirement.

In other words, be aware, be prepared, your retirement is entirely dependent on what you put aside. The company match on the 401k is essentially all they are contributing.

vantexan

As usual, you can't grasp what I posted. The company contributions don't increase as your age+years of service increase unless you have 20 continuous years of service with FedEx. That means if you retire with "only" 19 years of service, your Portable will essentially only buy you a cup of Starbucks per week in retirement.

In other words, be aware, be prepared, your retirement is entirely dependent on what you put aside. The company match on the 401k is essentially all they are contributing.
I'm not getting what you're saying. Are you saying you don't get the portable unless you have 20 years in?