Sales leads

bugman74

I have had the exact thing happen to me, turned in about 4 leads and was told by the girl that handles the leads, "that they were sold before I turned them in." the leads were for stores in a new mall

upsdude

I’ll get back into sales leads when we can go a single day without a service failure.

Turned in a lead 4 months ago (and spoke with the BD folks several times) for a 50 NDA letter a week account. Not one single person from UPS has contacted the customer.

NedFlanders

question here:

i got the UPS rewards card today. i turned in a sales lead but wasnt confident on it selling.

anyway how much money is 1 "point" on the new card

959Nanook

I turned in leads thet either took too long to have any follow up on and lost to DHL or FEDEX or they just never follow up at all. Then when they do follow up they do a shiity job. I was told that even though I recruited the customer I was not getting any rewards because they did not want to pay for a daily pick up even though they ship every day and do it over the internet prepaying with a credit card to get a good discount. HEY UPS HERE IS AN IDEA, FIRE ALL THE WORTHLESS SALES REPS AND GIVE ME A BIGGER PIECE ON MY REWARDS CARD SINCE I AM THE ONE DOING THE WORK AND KEEPING THE CUSTOMER HAPPY. HELL YOU COULD TRIPLE MY REWARDS AND TRIPLE THE LENGTH OF TIME YOU REWARD ME AND STILL SAVE MONEY AND ER IMPROVE PROFIT MARGINS DESPITE ADDITIONAL TIME SPENT WITH NEW CUSTOMERS DUE TO ELIMINATING SALARY, BENEFITS, AND OTHER EXPENSES OF WORTHLESS ACCOUNT REPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not so much concerned about the bennies for turning in a sales lead but I despise generating interest in a sales lead with a customer just to have BD twiddle their thumbs while I get a dumbfounded look when I ask the customer if they got a call yet. I'm about to give up altogether on the sales lead issue and only submit when specifically asked by the customer because it doesn't seem worth the negative impact on our image with customers that arises from BD's shortcomings.

One of my first sales leads really WANTS (they regularly ask drivers delivering and even came to the center and begged for one) a HazMat account but BD refuses to follow up even after UPS went through the hassle of training personnel so our center could finally accept HazMat pkgs. I'm not about to suggest a solution to the problem because I don't have enough awareness of the details but the system is clearly broken (or at least at our center).

Meanwhile, the On Car Supervisor that runs our center created a Sales Lead Zone to complement the Safety Zone and they had the audacity to hang some internal UPS press memo about how the the 3-man center in Homer, Alaska had 100% producing sales leads right next to the list of sales leads turned in by our drivers that were waiting for BD to do their job.

The other issue that is irritating for our drivers is having sales leads stolen by management and then miraculously...BD follows up in the stolen sales lead.

If nothing else, the PCM pep talk about sales leads is entertaining when the drivers start venting their frustrations. "Build the Business!" ... "Hire drivers so we can service the volume we have without importing On Car Supervisors from other centers to run our routes." ... "Everyone needs to submit a sales lead!" ... "What about the ones on the list that we submitted but have not been taken care of?"

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I’ll get back into sales leads when we can go a single day without a service failure.

Turned in a lead 4 months ago (and spoke with the BD folks several times) for a 50 NDA letter a week account. Not one single person from UPS has contacted the customer.

I am with you...I leave UPS and work on a military post. I turned in the sales lead for my company (one of sections in a larger company), my boss even asked me to have UPS call. My company is fairly large with offices all over the country...the ship CONUS and OCONUS.

Do you think UPS followed up on the lead?
Do you think I ever turned in another one?

I agree with you guys, it's a joke for the most part. When I worked at UPS I would submit sales leads from time to time, only to find out they were never even contacted much less followed up on. After that, I just started having fun with it, submitting leads for the district manager, division managers, Fred S, Jim Casey, etc.

But for the most part my feeling is sales people sell, package drivers deliver.

jetset

pitch and toss
Its intresting to learn you guys get money for leads.
Am I reading this correct?
In the Uk we get points,wow yes you read it right, Points.
And If I get enough points I can then exchange them for prizes.
Now if you've ever been to a fun fair and like knocked down all the cans with your three bean bags you also get a prize.
Shame is the prizes are very similar.
The sales lead programme has even less credibility this side ofthe pond.
As for sales people they get commision worth hundreds for 12 months.
When they ask why we don't submit leads since our jobs could depend on it the ussual reply is yours depends more on my lead.
The company do need to wake up and remember we carry packages not passengers, most sales are the latter.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Your talking about "Taking Charge- AwardperQ's" that program provides points and prizes.

I don't about anyone else but, we actually had two or three drivers combined get about 30K ($30,000) in sales leads last year. I know as supervisers, we can make the same kind of money by putting in leads. They give you a card which
is basically like an american express with a balance. Your paid based on what your lead ships, where they ship and how often they ship.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't about anyone else but, we actually had two or three drivers combined get about 30K ($30,000) in sales leads last year.

I quickly did the math on this and I don't think your numbers add up. Sales leads, until this year, were capped at $500/lead. This does not take in to account the occassional promotional awards, such as triple points for international sales leads. Anyway, you would need 60 leads which netted $500 to equal $30K. Divide the 60 leads by 2 drivers gives you 30 sold and producing leads each, 20 if you divide 60 by 3. It has been my experience that most sales leads do not max out so the idea that 3 drivers would combine for 60 sold and producing leads which all maxed out just doesn't add up. I am not doubting that you heard this but the math just doesn't support it.

Bad Gas!

Before our center manager went on vacation he said every driver must turn in a slaes lead or get a warning letter...What a winner we have now!..LOL...Maybe if we all turn in sales leads they will take away more time allowance and throw it in our face!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So-called "forced" sales leads, as Bad Gas described, are an incredible waste of time, not only for the drivers but for the BD folks, who must take the time to follow up on the leads which, for the most part, are not good sales leads but were submitted to avoid a warning letter. However, that being said, there is volume out there and an incentive program in place for those drivers who wish to participate in the program. Yes, I am active in the sales lead program.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I quickly did the math on this and I don't think your numbers add up. Sales leads, until this year, were capped at $500/lead. This does not take in to account the occassional promotional awards, such as triple points for international sales leads. Anyway, you would need 60 leads which netted $500 to equal $30K. Divide the 60 leads by 2 drivers gives you 30 sold and producing leads each, 20 if you divide 60 by 3. It has been my experience that most sales leads do not max out so the idea that 3 drivers would combine for 60 sold and producing leads which all maxed out just doesn't add up. I am not doubting that you heard this but the math just doesn't support it.

It's possible.He could be talking about my center.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Before our center manager went on vacation he said every driver must turn in a slaes lead or get a warning letter...What a winner we have now!..LOL...Maybe if we all turn in sales leads they will take away more time allowance and throw it in our face!

I'd tell him "WHY WAIT, Give me the letter now!"

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

Yeah, I don't know how it was accomplished. But I do know they did/got it. They even made a giant banner and hung it in the front of the building where you first walk in. I guess this was not only to recognize these two guys but to inveigle the rest of us. Didn't work for me after I turned in my first sales lead and it was never followed up on. I never turned in another.

over9five

Staff member

Hmmm, I would honestly like to hear details about anyone who has received a warning letter for not turning in a sales lead. Do the BD people also get warning letters for not doing their own job??

I think that if I were your shop steward, I would suggest to your center manager that if he issues any warning letters for this, I would suggest to the center that no-one hand in anymore sales leads.