Sales leads

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If drivers were given , say 15 minutes cushion a day to persue sales leads, that would cut into a center manager's bonus/mip by a large margin, no?

therefore , one conclusion can be made; It is selfishness at the operational level, in at least part, that discourages the "service providers" from actually providing a level of service that is exceptional, including selling the very services we provide!

98% of the time you can't blame a driver with 12 hours worth of packages on their truck for not hustling sales leads.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Years ago there was a code in the DIAD called Driver Marketing. We were encouraged to use the code if we spent the time with a customer drumming up business. Then the new production only regime took over. They still want you to do it but won't allow or create the time for it.
There is still an allowance for driver mktg, which I have used a few times lately when I had an opportunity to regain some volume. In my board it is in the first screen where you go to put your break in. No one has said a word, so I use it when I use my time for this purpose.

hudson

If drivers were given , say 15 minutes cushion a day to persue sales leads, that would cut into a center manager's bonus/mip by a large margin, no?

therefore , one conclusion can be made; It is selfishness at the operational level, in at least part, that discourages the "service providers" from actually providing a level of service that is exceptional, including selling the very services we provide!

98% of the time you can't blame a driver with 12 hours worth of packages on their truck for not hustling sales leads.

UPS is asking the drivers to identify when they see a particular business is using the competition by submitting a valid sales lead. UPS is not asking drivers to persue, hustle, or sell anything.....Submitting a sales lead on your DIAD should take about 1 minute.

snipster

Can anyone tell me if they know about the "double points" UPS was offering if we got a DHL account? This was towards the end of last year when DHL was pulling out of their domestic service. I submitted and sold a great lead and to date, have not received my double points. They owe me $1000. Not a small amount. Over9five.......thank you.....

snipster

Thank you for your well thought out, insightful addition to this thread. I look forward to similar posts from you as they serve only to further the discussion.

Hi, over9five told me to contact you about the Slim program. I was wondering if you knew about the "double points" DHL campaign from late last year? I am new to this site,

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hi, over9five told me to contact you about the Slim program. I was wondering if you knew about the "double points" DHL campaign from late last year? I am new to this site,

Yes, I do. However, all sales leads are capped at $1,000 per lead, no matter what incentive program is going on at the time. This was actually doubled from $500 a short time ago.

over9five

Staff member
So Snipster, you still got your $1000, nice job! At least you now know they're not rippin' you off, you just hit the cap is all.

snipster

Well, guys, thanks for the info. I still don't think it's fair because when my manager and the sales rep were reading us the memo's at the PCM, they kept pushing that this was a great way to get extra money. For example: if another driver sells a lead and ONLY gets 500 points, he gets it doubled to 1000. My lead sold over 20,000 points and I get the same as him. Not right. management did not say anything to us about a cap. Even still, with the cap at 1000, they should still double it. This was a big campaign in our building. I will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree, the presentation of the program did lead many to believe that there was no cap in place, but I chat with the BD folks here almost daily and asked them about this and was told by both that leads are capped at $1000. It used to be $500.

Do yourself a favor. Monitor that account and make sure to submit a lead for "additional volume" if their business continues to grow. I have an "additional volume" lead which is at Week 13 and am looking forward to having $1K added to my Amex in July as this business has grown from shipping as little as 15 to a daily average of 100.

I guess we should be thankful that the incentive program has not gone the way of the years of service/safe driving award programs. I do hope that they bring back those programs but perhaps in a revised format. Instead of marking every year of safe driving, I think they should award milestone years in 5 year increments. I think they should do the same with the years of service award program.

snipster

OK! I will submit that "additional volume" lead tomorrow. My double points lead ended the beginning of March, so now is a good time. How often can you submit additional volume leads?

Theichii

Honestly I think SL's are a good idea, however i disagree with the fact that management continues to be painfully ignorant. Would you take time out of your day to do a sales lead if you could actually separate that time from your on road time? Well you can, it's called drvmkt which i'm assuming stands for driver marketing i use that everytime i take time out of my busy day to do a sales lead turn in. I have advised my supervisor of this and the next day we had a PCM explaining that we were allowed 15 minutes a day on driver marketing. I don't think he would have ever mentioned it had I not brought it up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK! I will submit that "additional volume" lead tomorrow. My double points lead ended the beginning of March, so now is a good time. How often can you submit additional volume leads?

!3 weeks is how long they track an account so you could conceivably do it 4 times per year but I would think once or twice per year would suffice. Another tip is you get points for placing a dropbox that generates an average of 2 pkgs per day so if you know a good location submit it and if the box is put there simply save any ARSs or RSs and scan them with that drop box.

over9five

Staff member
!3 weeks is how long they track an account so you could conceivably do it 4 times per year but I would think once or twice per year would suffice. Another tip is you get points for placing a dropbox that generates an average of 2 pkgs per day so if you know a good location submit it and if the box is put there simply save any ARSs or RSs and scan them with that drop box.

I would think it unethical to falsify data to make it appear you picked up something at a drop box (to increase your SLIM points) when you didn't.

Perhaps I misunderstood?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think it unethical to falsify data to make it appear you picked up something at a drop box (to increase your SLIM points) when you didn't.

Perhaps I misunderstood?

Actually I was given this tip by one of our BD people. The only points you get for a drop box are 500 for box placement, which works out to $25, but you have to average 2 pkgs per day for 30 days. You do not get points for the pkgs themselves but can use them for possible sales leads. We are told to add these ARS and RS pkgs to one of our pickup accounts and to scan them which is what I am doing.

whiskey

I turned in a sales lead today only because the customer asked what she had to do to activate a UPS account.
I do not normally do this even though there are incentives to do so.
I have a amex card that acrue's (sp) money every month from past positive sales leads.
Why dont i try to gain more business?
Because it's all i can do to deliver the 150 stops a day to barely make 8 effing hours.
You would think i would be motivated to do this.
150 stops in 8 hours. You must be paid over 2 hours.

Braveheart

I turned in leads that resulted in huge business. Got the shaft on one. Then was promised X amount on the other and got only a fraction of that amount. Only I had to do all the work.

That is when I stopped turning in leads.