Saturday Ground Ceasing, Saturday Air Drivers Coming Back In Some Buildings

Box Ox

UPS should do the same for hourlies and management

I dunno. I’d almost rather be well paid under a stable business/profit model and let pensions go underfunded. But only because as someone with decades to go until retirement, I’d rather bet on funding my own retirement accounts than a pension being available for me.

I know that might be :censored2:ty sounding. We definitely wouldn’t want UPS to be in USPS’s current situation. Especially since we don’t have a service mandate from the government. Granted, our per piece profit is probably far greater than USPS’s. Maybe UPS could feasibly do all of the above?

I dunno. I’d almost rather be well paid under a stable business/profit model and let pensions go underfunded. But only because as someone with decades to go until retirement, I’d rather bet on funding my own retirement accounts than a pension being available for me.

I know that might be :censored2:ty sounding. We definitely wouldn’t want UPS to be in USPS’s current situation. Especially since we don’t have a service mandate from the government. Granted, our per piece profit is probably far greater than USPS’s. Maybe UPS could feasibly do all of the above?
They pay over 27k into our pension and neither one of us are getting the bang for our buck

boswharfs

Scaling back Saturday ground here. Haven't entirely figured out the bid issues. Had to run a full bid last summer when it was implemented and there was massive movement in the regular bid that just happened. Route next to me, driver with 16 years on his route got bumped by a guy who had it as his 3rd choice. Don't even begin to know where the pieces move if a significant number of routes go back to M-friend. Will be interesting to watch. Chaos as usual.

35years

Gravy route
Think about it.
We are currently in negotiations that include creating a new classification of driver making less per hour on the weekends.

If the new classification is created, existing T-S drivers would likely be grandfathered in at full scale. If negotiations look as if UPS is going to be able to create a lower paid class of drivers working on Saturday, they would like to scale back Saturday as much as possible prior to implementation of the new wage drivers.

That way fewer Saturday drivers are grandfathered in at the higher rate.

Having a group of trained, new-ish drivers at the ready in case of a strike does not hurt either.

PT Car Washer

Think about it.
We are currently in negotiations that include creating a new classification of driver making less per hour on the weekends.

If the new classification is created, existing T-S drivers would likely be grandfathered in at full scale. If negotiations look as if UPS is going to be able to create a lower paid class of drivers working on Saturday, they would like to scale back Saturday as much as possible prior to implementation of the new wage drivers.

That way fewer Saturday drivers are grandfathered in at the higher rate.

Having a group of trained, new-ish drivers at the ready in case of a strike does not hurt either.
These new drivers will make less then regular drivers all week, not just on Saturdays. You can bet they will be working max hours also while regular drivers hours are reduced.

Dumbo

I wonder if those T-S drivers even if they weren't grandfathered in would make it to a M-friend driver job over the course of their progression anyway so maybe it wouldn't be such a huge deal. For example if I am 1 year in and am a T-S driver, and they screwed us with the lower tier rate, could I bank on the fact that before the 4 year progression I would have been there long enough to get a M-friend bid anyway so maybe it wouldn't affect me as much? I mean the lower tier rate would still higher than being at the bottom of progression anyway, wouldn't it be?

On a side note if they didn't grandfather in the T-S drivers and with how short staffed we already are, I would think it would not bode well and many new drivers would quit making their staffing situation worse and just creating more OT for top rate drivers.

I can't imagine any scenario where any PC driver is making less than the bottom at $18.75/hr.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
I wonder if those T-S drivers even if they weren't grandfathered in would make it to a M-friend driver job over the course of their progression anyway so maybe it wouldn't be such a huge deal. For example if I am 1 year in and am a T-S driver, and they screwed us with the lower tier rate, could I bank on the fact that before the 4 year progression I would have been there long enough to get a M-friend bid anyway so maybe it wouldn't affect me as much? I mean the lower tier rate would still higher than being at the bottom of progression anyway, wouldn't it be?

On a side note if they didn't grandfather in the T-S drivers and with how short staffed we already are, I would think it would not bode well and many new drivers would quit making their staffing situation worse and just creating more OT for top rate drivers.

I can't imagine any scenario where any PC driver is making less than the bottom at $18.75/hr.

Anything can happen in a new contract, some things are more likely than others.

It usually helps to be on the books before the new contract is effective.
Sometimes it helps to be thru your progression.
T-S driver position could be eliminated and drivers moved back to M-friend, and all ground moved by hybrid drivers on the weekends.
Or current T-friend could be grandfathered in and new hybrid drivers created at a lower rate doing the exact same work on Saturdays,

I think there is virtually no chance of you being forced to accept a hybrid driver position. You are in progression to be a top rate regular driver. Any laid off T-S new drivers because of Sat. going hybrid might have a rough couple years getting hours but would retain the status of a regular driver in progression.

boswharfs

In '97 the language the company was offering would allow part-time drivers to deliver any "time definite" package at the part-time rate. At the time a very small percentage of our ground packages were track-able but within just a couple of years they were not only track-able, but they were guaranteed - whether business or residential. The language foreshadowed where the company was going and they would have absorbed any "excess" volume with part-time employees. No matter how much growth, you would have never seen another new route go in. Therefore, a lot of newer drivers would not even be here. UPS is aiming for an UBER like delivery service, and it could be that these hybrid drivers are a piece of that puzzle. As far as grandfathering goes, once we go to large scale layoffs and "subcontract" work to hybrid drivers all bets are off for current in progression employees. This is at least my speculation.

boswharfs

Let me be probably more accurate.... Not "subcontract" per se. More like skim volume the same way they would have with part-timers if the '97 proposed language had prevailed. Anyway, the principal is the same.