Seniority...... who's got what???

Seniority where I am is based on:

• Total voters
Is there a point in seniority where it isn't being received well?
The the past, the point was that the members in local 177 didn't want to carry their seniority if the bidding language were to be changed... That's what the elected officials would say to members... If the seniority language changes so will the bidding language... So over decades of talk around the local, no one wanted to lose classification seniority... Only a small few wanted the change... Then a group of guys said just don't change the bidding language at all... Just carry your seniority... Then it took off...

Last edited:

Inthegame

Just remember you and a lot of other teamsters attacked me first... I was just putting out the info...
Please find any posts where I'm "attacking" you unless you feel correcting inaccuracies is being "attacked".
That's what they did years ago... The first seniority structure in local 177 wasn't classification seniority... Then it was changed to classification seniority... What about that?
If your statements on that are accurate, that would be wrong unless the negatively affected parties were red circled.

Please find any posts where I'm "attacking" you unless you feel correcting inaccuracies is being "attacked".

If your statements on that are accurate, that would be wrong unless the negatively affected parties were red circled.
No.. It's accurate... It comes from local 177 members and officials... It was over 60 plus years ago... Red line was only talked about
in 93... Never was brought to a vote... In 1990 there was a tentative agreement sent to every members house to change the seniority and bidding language... It was voted down... No red line in that offer...

If there is a conflict between membership over seniority and has no financial bearing on the company... It should be drown out and voted on... If a majority of members want a change and don't want a red line... You as a elected official have to bring it to a vote without a red line... A red line would only work if that's what the majority wants.

Last edited:

Inthegame

If a majority of members want a change and don't want a red line... You as a elected official have to bring it to a vote without a red line... A red line would only work if that's what the majority wants.
You are mistaken. The only rules the elected officials must follow are the bylaws, not the whims of members with self serving agendas.

You are mistaken. The only rules the elected officials must follow are the bylaws, not the whims of members with self serving agendas.
It's not a rule... It would be political
suicide. Self serving agendas... That type of talk is what made members stop bringing it up, which is a piss poor way to be a teamster... It's every members right to bring and try to change language... Stop being a piss poor teamster... That is attacking BTW.

Inthegame

It's not a rule... It would be political
suicide. Self serving agendas... That type of talk is what made members stop bringing it up, which is a piss poor way to be a teamster... It's every members right to bring and try to change language... Stop being a piss poor teamster... That is attacking BTW.
I understand being corrected so often is frustrating but it is not attacking. Get your facts straight and I'll keep quiet.

Every member certainly has rights to propose anything but when a proposal advantages one group over another, by definition it becomes self serving and a perfect example of being piss poor Teamsters.

Come up with language that improves everyones life and I'm with you.

I understand being corrected so often is frustrating but it is not attacking. Get your facts straight and I'll keep quiet.

I'm ok with people correcting me... It's not what I would do to someone because no one is perfect and why be a jerk to correct someone when one day you could be corrected... I really think it's because you really don't like the idea of carry your seniority to another classification... So this is getting under your skin... I'm getting under your skin... It shouldn't but it does.
Every member certainly has rights to propose anything but when a proposal advantages one group over another, by definition it becomes self serving and a perfect example of being piss poor Teamsters.

Then why does classification seniority exist? That's not for everyone.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Every member certainly has rights to propose anything but when a proposal advantages one group over another, by definition it becomes self serving and perfect examples of being piss poor Teamsters.

What you're describing is called a "polarizing proposal", meaning there is a "defined line" dividing the participants, and it's absolutely unavoidable in any organization, even a union.

That "defined line" should be established by the membership, by virtue of a democratic process*.

Isn't it possible that those opposed, if minority to the proposal, are equally "self serving" and "perfect examples of piss poor Teamsters"?

Contract language changes every contract, impacting somebody every time,....why is this a "sacred cow", or did @East coast navy peg you as a "have"?

(*) if their EBoard allows it.

Last edited:

Inthegame

I really think it's because you really don't like the idea of carry your seniority to another classification...
And you've missed again. I've explained my position much more clearly than you.
So this is getting under your skin... I'm getting under your skin... It shouldn't but it does.
I deal with UPS every day and you think what you say gets "under my skin"? You are a sheltered soul.

Inthegame

What you're describing is called a "polarizing proposal", meaning there is a "defined line" dividing the participants, and it's absolutely unavoidable in any organization, even a union.
Thanks for the tutorial. However a good leadership group in a union can steer those divergent opinions for the common good.
That "defined line" should be established by the membership, by virtue of a democratic process*.
That democratic process happens every three years.
Isn't it possible that those opposed, if minority to the proposal, are equally "self serving" and "perfect examples of piss poor Teamsters"?
A less astute reader could conclude you just called every minority voter in the last contract piss poor Teamsters. (That's not what he meant East Coast.)
Contract language changes every contract, impacting somebody every time,....why is this a "sacred cow", or did @East coast navy peg you as a "have"?
Seldom are changes at contract renewal as obtuse as this proposal.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A less astute reader could conclude you just called every minority voter in the last contract piss poor Teamsters.
Nope.
I don't think that way at all.

It was your notion, I just forced you to see past the fence.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I'm ok with people correcting me... It's not what I would do to someone because no one is perfect and why be a jerk to correct someone when one day you could be corrected... I really think it's because you really don't like the idea of carry your seniority to another classification... So this is getting under your skin... I'm getting under your skin... It shouldn't but it does.

Then why does classification seniority exist? That's not for everyone.
Out of 8500 members how many hard copy signatures do you have now from local 177.....because I keep seeing the word majority thrown around here from you and bubblehead.......also is that why you keep changing what you want the change to be.....for example first you wanted 1 list for everyone...then it was just full timers because part time guys weren't supporting you....then you changed it to just feeder drivers because guys in package aren't supporting your cause......so let's just say who wants this change a small group of feeder drivers who have between 12 and 18 years at ups hardly the majority of local 177

Out of 8500 members how many hard copy signatures do you have now from local 177.....because I keep seeing the word majority thrown around here from you and bubblehead.......also is that why you keep changing what you want the change to be.....for example first you wanted 1 list for everyone...then it was just full timers because part time guys weren't supporting you....then you changed it to just feeder drivers because guys in package aren't supporting your cause......so let's just say who wants this change a small group of feeder drivers who have between 12 and 18 years at ups hardly the majority of local 177
Holy crap! You found out! The walls and brides are falling down... Now this will never happen now... What are we going to do!

Thanks for the tutorial. However a good leadership group in a union can steer those divergent opinions for the common good.
Common good... That's is based on an opinion... Good leadership will point out would could happen in a change, (pros and cons)... After all of that, good leadership will go with the best interest of the members... The only way to find that is who is the majority... You
A less astute reader could conclude you just called every minority voter in the last contract piss poor Teamsters. (That's not what he meant East Coast.)
No, you and a small few are showing who is a piss poor teamster... Not the average voter...
can change something if it gets voted down... You will lose your job as elected official...
That democratic process happens every three years...
And the life of a contract...

rama'nfeeders

We are under the current contract which has classification seniority, so if you do get it to pass wouldn't we start this company seniority come Aug 1st, 2018??? If that's the case you would have to redline it because you can't go backwards since we are all under the current terms. Right??? Or you guys don't care about anyone except yourselves.