Sent home because of a "long break"

XboxJuan

Dallas
(Happened just recently btw)

It was another Wednesday for me, the belts had stopped alot and for long times, so much that it took me 2 and a half hours to finish a long trailer. I was the last one to go on break and considering the hot heat in this facility, I decided to cool down for a decent while on the break room. I wasn't tracking my time but I was in there for a good 15-20 minutes. By the time I get back, the head supervisor was sweeping irregs. He told me why I took a "25 minute long break" and honestly I had no idea what to say to him. Apart from them sending me break so late and this mood changing heat, I told him "I don't know what to tell you man, I'm exhausted."

He decided to send me home for that reason.

Now, not to be the irrational one here, but can head supervisors send you home for a petty reason like that? I mean considering that half of our sweepers here are always on their phones half the time and almost everyone here takes 15 minute long breaks, it seemed absurd for him to send me home when im trying to stack my hours up this week. But yeah, idk. Can they do that? I talked to my shop steward about him and im currently just chilling on the break room right now.

Nah

It was another Wednesday for me, the belts had stopped alot and for long times, so much that it took me 2 and a half hours to finish a long trailer. I was the last one to go on break and considering the hot heat in this facility, I decided to cool down for a decent while on the break room. I wasn't tracking my time but I was in there for a good 15-20 minutes. By the time I get back, the head supervisor was sweeping irregs. He told me why I took a "25 minute long break" and honestly I had no idea what to say to him. Apart from them sending me break so late and this mood changing heat, I told him "I don't know what to tell you man, I'm exhausted."

Now, not to be the irrational one here, but can head supervisors send you home for a petty reason like that? I mean considering that half of our sweepers here are always on their phones half the time and almost everyone here takes 15 minute long breaks, it seemed absurd for him to send me home when im trying to stack my hours up this week. But yeah, idk. Can they do that? I talked to my shop steward about him and im currently just chilling on the break room right now.
If he was an :censored2: he could have walked you out for stealing time. Take 10 minute breaks. If you need more due to heat exhaustion/stroke/dehydration, tell your sup so they at least know what's going on.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You have a metric ton of new laws and regulations for workers to beat the heat depending on where you are at but you still need to let them know. It's the same for any new thing that benefits workers. Just as a general rule of thumb: if you cannot do something that is construed as work, for any reason, the best place to be is in your supervisors (staffed) office so that they have zero ammunition regarding theft of time.

Due to the record heat. I doubt they could fire the kid if he pushed back.

XboxJuan

Dallas
If he was an :censored2: he could have walked you out for stealing time. Take 10 minute breaks. If you need more due to heat exhaustion/stroke/dehydration, tell your sup so they at least know what's going on.
I mean true, but I usually take 12-15 minute breaks myself. The fact that he decided to send me home NOW is kind of stupid, especially since we're pretty understaffed. Im sure he could use my help but he decided not to. Bit upsetting considering I didn't even work a full 4 hours today.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I mean true, but I usually take 12-15 minute breaks myself. The fact that he decided to send me home NOW is kind of stupid, especially since we're pretty understaffed. Im sure he could use my help but he decided not to. Bit upsetting considering I didn't even work a full 4 hours today.

Maybe he thought he was doing something nice for you, since you told him you were exhausted.

Box Ox

considering the hot heat in this facility, I decided to cool down for a decent while on the break room. I wasn't tracking my time but I was in there for a good 15-20 minutes. By the time I get back, the head supervisor was sweeping irregs. He told me why I took a "25 minute long break" and honestly I had no idea what to say to him. Apart from them sending me break so late and this mood changing heat, I told him "I don't know what to tell you man, I'm exhausted."

So it's really hot in the facility. You leave for an extended period of time. Sup asks what's up. You tell him you're exhausted and probably at least imply that the heat has something to do with it. He sends you home so you can take a nice cool nap.

Sounds pretty sweet to me.

XboxJuan

Dallas
So it's really hot in the facility. You leave for an extended period of time. Sup asks what's up. You tell him you're exhausted and probably at least imply that the heat has something to do with it. He sends you home so you can take a nice cool nap.

Sounds pretty sweet to me.
You're not getting the picture here. He sent me home for a very petty reason, I wasn't planning on leaving early, if anything, I wanted to finish my shift as planned. But he sent me home for that reason alone and it's idiotic. But it's cool, I file grievances on almost every supervisor I see working here, so all in all, it's not so bad.

But I am still a bit annoyed that he did that

Box Ox

You're not getting the picture here. He sent me home for a very petty reason, I wasn't planning on leaving early, if anything, I wanted to finish my shift as planned. But he sent me home for that reason alone and it's idiotic. But it's cool, I file grievances on almost every supervisor I see working here, so all in all, it's not so bad.

But I am still a bit annoyed that he did that

I mean, if you file a grievance this time the sup is gonna say he had to step in because you were having an extended stay in the break room because you were hot and tired (cranky?). And he sent you home out of concern for your health. Right? You did mention "mood changing heat."

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Yes you had heat exhaustion, you got lucky

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If your over heated, they can send you home or fire you, be glad he sent you home

They couldn't fire him for a heat injury. They should have sent him in for an evaluation, that's what the supervisor screwed up. I smell a comp claim. Did anyone else get the PCM yesterday about heat injuries? He did exactly what the company expects us to do.