Sent home because of a "long break"

TeltBender

Take bathroom breaks and get some water. stay hydrated.
If you don't feel well tell the boss.

We used to see the ambulance come at least once a week at our hub in summer. They installed industrial fans in every door, cases of water all over and breaks when you needed them.

The company did NOT do all this out of the goodness of their hearts.
They were threatened ........

you should be okay.....as long as you are breathing they need you...
We have industrial fans in every door as well. They keep you cool but also blow all the dust in the building into my eyes…

AccidentProne

It was another Wednesday for me, the belts had stopped alot and for long times, so much that it took me 2 and a half hours to finish a long trailer.
Unless you are a new guy in his first week, that is way too long to unload a trailer. 1hr 30 min avg time, 1hr45min at most for a difficult trailer. So if you got sent home for stealing time, this is a big reason.
I wasn't tracking my time but I was in there for a good 15-20 minutes.
That's on you. 10 min break is all they allow, don't go what everyone else says, go by the rules, and then you're infallible.

Also why can you just take a break when you want? They have everyone take it at the same time at my local.
it seemed absurd for him to send me home when im trying to stack my hours up this week.
So admit you're trying to get more hours. Without taking extra shifts I assume. So you stole time thinking they won't notice that you're taking your time in everything.

but can head supervisors send you home for a petty reason like that?
Not really being petty when you're not doing your job. You took an 1hr30min trailer and a 10 min break and drag it out to 3hrs of the shift. That's a whole extra trailer that you didn't do and someone else had to pick up the slack.

AccidentProne

But it's cool, I file grievances on almost every supervisor I see working here, so all in all, it's not so bad.
So you knowing piss off supervisors and constantly break the rules? I'd tread lightly.

If you were smart. You would try to be nice to the supervisors, even if you don't actually like them. They tend to turn a blind eye or be more forgiving when these things happen.

I rarely file grievances myself. Too much nonsense involved with it and you make enemies.

DOK

Not heat injury no, but he wanted to stay so he was stealing time by extending his break if they didn't believe the heat thing
Burden of proof is on the company, send him to the doc for an evaluation. A sup is not qualified to “not believe “ him.

XboxJuan

Dallas
"You took an 1hr30min trailer and a 10 min break and drag it out to 3hrs of the shift. That's a whole extra trailer that you didn't do and someone else had to pick up the slack."

Yes because if you weren't so incompetent, the belt kept stopping and halfway through the trailer were irregs and one of my sweepers was going miserably slow, dont blame me like im completely at fault here, im sure you'd be annoyed if you were in my shoes.

XboxJuan

Dallas
So you knowing piss off supervisors and constantly break the rules? I'd tread lightly.

If you were smart. You would try to be nice to the supervisors, even if you don't actually like them. They tend to turn a blind eye or be more forgiving when these things happen.

I rarely file grievances myself. Too much nonsense involved with it and you make enemies.

I get along with almost every supervisor besides that specific one, also I dont have to "try to be nice" when im doing what I'm supposed to, it's just that specific supervisor i have to deal with is kind of a d*** to me and alot more people too. I heard stories from my other workers on how much of a c*nt he is, one of the workers filed a harassment grievance because he was looking for him and stalking him, dude is weird.

Also if I can get extra money by reporting on supervisors who work (which happens to be most of the time I work here) then why not?

Cowboy Mac

Yes because if you weren't so incompetent, the belt kept stopping and halfway through the trailer were irregs and one of my sweepers was going miserably slow, dont blame me like im completely at fault here, im sure you'd be annoyed if you were in my shoes.
When the belt stops, that’s your extra break time. I’d go stand under the fan and drink some water. Nothing you can do when they stop the belt on you.

AccidentProne

If the belt was stopping, then that's fine. What is a sweeper? I've never heard that term before while working unload.

Box Ox

It was another Wednesday for me, the belts had stopped alot and for long times, so much that it took me 2 and a half hours to finish a long trailer.
the belt kept stopping and halfway through the trailer were irregs and one of my sweepers was going miserably slow
By the time I get back, the head supervisor was sweeping irregs. He told me why I took a "25 minute long break" and honestly I had no idea what to say to him. Apart from them sending me break so late and this mood changing heat, I told him "I don't know what to tell you man, I'm exhausted."

If a 2 and a half hour trailer with lots of belt stops took you out you might be in the wrong line of work. Because that might be the easiest day you're ever gonna have.

If you're a zoomer I'm glad you at least tried to give the line of work a shot. You're not as soft as most.

XboxJuan

Dallas
If a 2 and a half hour trailer with lots of belt stops took you out you might be in the wrong line of work. Because that might be the easiest day you're ever gonna have.

If you're a zoomer I'm glad you at least tried to give the line of work a shot. You're not as soft as most.
I mean considering I've been here for a year and a half, this is probably the most tolerable job I've ever worked, never mind my a**hole of a supervisor

TeltBender

why can you just take a break when you want? They have everyone take it at the same time at my local.
This is dependent on how management run things. Night sort, we don’t get a break unless we ask for one, but they always say yes. Preload, building shuts off for 10 minutes. Day sort they give everyone breaks at random times.

Non liberal

You have a metric ton of new laws and regulations for workers to beat the heat depending on where you are at but you still need to let them know. It's the same for any new thing that benefits workers. Just as a general rule of thumb: if you cannot do something that is construed as work, for any reason, the best place to be is in your supervisors (staffed) office so that they have zero ammunition regarding theft of time.

Due to the record heat. I doubt they could fire the kid if he pushed back.
They can fire you for anything, but he would get his job back.

AccidentProne

I mean considering I've been here for a year and a half, this is probably the most tolerable job I've ever worked, never mind my a**hole of a supervisor
Lmao didn't even think about this. Almost 2 years and you felt so exhausted that you couldn't work for 25 mins after a half shift truck?

Like come on man, I get it that its hot and all, but you can't be working that hard with the time it took to finish. That is literally 38 mins per quarter of the trailer, 252 packages per hour, 4.2 packages per min, or one every 14.2 seconds.

XboxJuan

Dallas
Lmao didn't even think about this. Almost 2 years and you felt so exhausted that you couldn't work for 25 mins after a half shift truck?

Like come on man, I get it that its hot and all, but you can't be working that hard with the time it took to finish. That is literally 38 mins per quarter of the trailer, 252 packages per hour, 4.2 packages per min, or one every 14.2 seconds.
To quote one of the workers that had been working here for a decade : "Take your time".

Doesnt matter if I take too long to finish a trailer, ill still get paid the same, not to mention I noticed some supervisors would usually move me to a harder, more friend-ed up trailer after I tackle an easy one. Why work hard if ill be working harder than the average Joe next to me, with the same amount of pay? I guess that explains why some workers (especially the sweepers) here work purposefully slow, they know they can't fire them for being slow, were already quite understaffed as hell anyways, and if it means more money on their paycheck, then why not?

Box Ox

To quote one of the workers that had been working here for a decade : "Take your time".

Doesnt matter if I take too long to finish a trailer, ill still get paid the same, not to mention I noticed some supervisors would usually move me to a harder, more friend-ed up trailer after I tackle an easy one. Why work hard if ill be working harder than the average Joe next to me, with the same amount of pay? I guess that explains why some workers (especially the sweepers) here work purposefully slow, they know they can't fire them for being slow, were already quite understaffed as hell anyways, and if it means more money on their paycheck, then why not?

You were hot and exhausted after a 2 and a half hour trailer and you were sent home for a nap and more Xbox. What a nice sup.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

Don't reply to stups. Mock them