Soft Peak? Volume Seems Low

MassWineGuy

We had low volume on Saturday. No work Sunday or Monday. As far as my station goes, this was a ridiculous non-peak peak. I think the volume limit FedEx gave Amazon was the most significant factor.

SmithBarney

okay.... so..... the extra bodies didn't help? Was it just too confusing of an area/couriers that didn't know the area/expected to work a complicated area, just too much volume not enough bodies, daily management :censored2:ery (oh, shiny brown-noser, have an in-town peak route with 40 stops and 8 hours) or weather didn't play well with you?

I'm not trying to be snarky btw, just trying to gather info. I know management always takes the blame (and rightfully, most of the time, they should) but like I said earlier, even though we've had a pretty smooth peak plan, it would have gone totally south if the weather didn't cooperate at all... and there was nothing management could have done to help short of hiring an additional 20 couriers and vans.

Lots of specifics that would give away location, but generally a wet behind the ears management team that refused to take input leading up to PEAK, Freight levels were not out of control. Weather was perfect sunny 70-80 degree days. Oh well I know I go out and do my best everyday, I wonder if they think they did a good job...

bbsam

Staff member
Our peak in an Anynomous northeast company outpost was relatively smooth. Ditched DRA, straight lined everything. Ran tons of feeder shuttles. Very few break violations. Also helps with when Xmas falls on the calendar this year maybe? It's been much worse.
That doesn't sound like Ground.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Actually, I got to thinking and I feel reaaal dirty for even thinking this. The opcos could still pay each other for the deliveries... at a substantial discount (98% off list from E->G and 90% off G->E) and still be 'legal' in all terms.

Oh, that's perfectly legal. Express gets revenue for accepting Ground packages at Express stations; Office gets revenue for accepting Ground/Express packages at Office locations. Express gets revenue for flying Ground packages to AK and HI.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We had low volume on Saturday. No work Sunday or Monday. As far as my station goes, this was a ridiculous non-peak peak. I think the volume limit FedEx gave Amazon was the most significant factor.

Express put a lot more effort into planning this peak. Proper projections from shippers had been a big issue since 2013. It was a big, major MF'ing deal to have this peak go smoothly both for operational and PR reasons.

Oldfart

Oh, that's perfectly legal. Express gets revenue for accepting Ground packages at Express stations; Office gets revenue for accepting Ground/Express packages at Office locations. Express gets revenue for flying Ground packages to AK and HI.
They don't truck Ground to AK and HI?

TUT

Express put a lot more effort into planning this peak. Proper projections from shippers had been a big issue since 2013. It was a big, major MF'ing deal to have this peak go smoothly both for operational and PR reasons.

Yes, the Fedex Team was very proactive in peak planning.