Sorting during lunch

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He is working for free and screwing younger guys out of a job

I agree that he should spend his lunch completely away from the car but if it makes him feel more comfortable to pull in to a parking lot, open all of the doors, grab his lunch and eat while sorting the rest of his car, he is not hurting anyone but himself. It's not as though he is putting the time in to his DIAD and running off resis.

I agree that he should spend his lunch completely away from the car but if it makes him feel more comfortable to pull in to a parking lot, open all of the doors, grab his lunch and eat while sorting the rest of his car, he is not hurting anyone but himself. It's not as though he is putting the time in to his DIAD and running off resis.
Seriously?
Enough guys that do that, eventually that equals one Less route.
its one thing when you are trying to qualify.
its another when you cost someone a job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seriously?
Enough guys that do that, eventually that equals one Less route.
its one thing when you are trying to qualify.
its another when you cost someone a job.

The argument used to be that if 8 guys all took their lunch between the 3rd and 5th hours UPS would be forced to add a route.

I usually take my lunch between 1545 and 1600. This works well for me and my delivery area. I take my meal break at my house and when I am done I drive less than a mile to my next pickup stop.

clean hairy

Of course when that Driver is on vacation, it screws the person covering.
They are running 30 min over while the regular driver runs it scratch.
The poor cover driver gets pulled in the office for a talking to.
It appears the Cover Driver is not working with a sense of urgency that the regular driver does.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It appears the Cover Driver is not working with a sense of urgency that the regular driver does.

Mgt, especially in a smaller building, knows which drivers sort during lunch and will give the cover drivers the benefit of the doubt when they are covering one of those runs.

As I said above, I take my lunch later in the afternoon as it works best for me. I tell my cover drivers to do whatever works best for them.

The argument used to be that if 8 guys all took their lunch between the 3rd and 5th hours UPS would be forced to add a route.

I usually take my lunch between 1545 and 1600. This works well for me and my delivery area. I take my meal break at my house and when I am done I drive less than a mile to my next pickup stop.
Take a 100 driver center and everyone works 10-15 off of the clock. They don't need any extra reasons to cut a route.

By The Book

You only get a 15 minute lunch? Is the time that you take your lunch, and the duration of your lunch in compliance with state law and the contract? This works well for me and my delivery area?....... Those days are over though right?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
As I said above, I take my lunch later in the afternoon as it works best for me. I tell my cover drivers to do whatever works best for them.
You tell your cover drivers?
I'd show up at your house and tell you to make me a sandwich.
What the hell is the point of taking a break at 4 oclock? Might as well just finish an hour early at that point.

That is called incompetent management.

By The Book

Once the union agreed to bonus, you kind of lost any right to complain about guys working off the clock. JMO.
Most state laws don't allow employees to work without being compensated. I don't think the union lost the right to complain.......however I'm pretty sure they won't be the ones to point it out to the company. You'd think they'd care about this as it could put on jobs and bring in dues money.

MAKAVELI

Just an opinion from a non union worker at FedEx Express. If this issue is that important to the work group, it should be negotiated in the contract. Just my opinion.

MAKAVELI

Sooooo..........what is your take on working thru your break?
My take is if you're not getting paid you shouldn't be working. I'm completely dumbfounded that the teamsters hasn't negotiated some sort time for you guys. I see the UPS driver on my route sorting on his lunch and and ask myself wtf, they are union.

By The Book

My take is if you're not getting paid you shouldn't be working. I'm completely dumbfounded that the teamsters hasn't negotiated some sort time for you guys. I see the UPS driver on my route sorting on his lunch and and ask myself wtf, they are union.
Bad habits are hard to change I guess.