student debt

oldngray

nowhere special
I had a couple classes where the required textbook was literally authored by the teacher of the course... and it wasn't cheap. Talk about a giant racket, that's freaking Mafia crap right there.

Most classes you can pass without buying the textbook. Just go to class and take good notes. There might be 1 or 2 questions on a test from the book that weren't covered in class but that might mean the difference between a B or an A in the class.

Wouldn't be an issue if the book prices weren't so ridiculous.

rod

Retired 22 years
:censored2: canada

quebec used to have cheapest tuition in north america. probably because they speak french and are always protesting and threatening to leave canada. quebec has alot of fresh water.
Ontario has a few fish--at least they did until I started fishing there.

rod

Retired 22 years
america is not competitive when the costs of doing things are so high. its an inflation. and my pops thinks its all the same either way. so why does one country do one thing and the other do another.

french students would shut hte country down if they ever pulled this crap out htere.

Bernie Sanders
@SenSanders

·
2h
The average cost of 4-year college in the United States: $23,091

The average cost of 4-year college in France: $212

Education is one of the keys to a successful democracy, so why are we making it so hard for our people to learn?
College is way over rated -- choose a trade school

Last edited:

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
america is not competitive when the costs of doing things are so high. its an inflation. and my pops thinks its all the same either way. so why does one country do one thing and the other do another.

french students would shut hte country down if they ever pulled this crap out htere.

Bernie Sanders
@SenSanders

·
2h

Education is one of the keys to a successful democracy, so why are we making it so hard for our people to learn?

your Canadian

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I agree. However, I did read snippets where some CC's credit hours were not being honored as transfer worthy to bigger Universities. I.e. Save parents some money by knocking out gen Ed requirements at a community college. Then transfer to Big U & cutting costs of 2 yrs. and finishing B.A.
They're all useless stuff anyway ... English, History, etc.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Yes and no.

Why is community college so cheap and and university 10k per year?

Most things become cheaper to operate when you scale them.
Because big universities support sports and have a lot of tenured professors with outrageous salaries and benefits.
Also, universities have huge staffs of support personnel.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Because big universities support sports and have a lot of tenured professors with outrageous salaries and benefits.
Also, universities have huge staffs of support personnel.
They had sports and professors in the 50’s,60’s and 70’s.

The number of staff per student has changed slightly but nothing crazy. What has changed is the number if administrators per staff. Like 10 fold more.

rickyb

Education isn't really that cheap in Europe. Its just funded more with taxes instead of directly by students.

Redistribution of wealth.
the govt doesnt just tax to fund things. they appropriate funding. they didnt tax for the 10 trillion or whatever in wall st bailouts recently. its political will power.

refineryworker05

Bernie Sanders
@SenSanders

·
2h

The reality is America has taken a consumer model towards education, housing, and health care that doesn't serve huge portions of the population at all, and serves many others poorly, and is costly to boot. What Americans need is a desire to see education, healthcare, and housing as basic necessities, that all Americans should receive. Everyone should get a great education, good healthcare, and adequate housing.
The consumer model in these areas means if you can't afford to move to a certain neighborhood to access good schools you are out of luck, if you can't afford healthcare you are out of luck, and if you can't afford housing you are out of luck.

refineryworker05

Republicans have been pushing for school choice for years and Democrats keep blocking every attempt.
"school choice" exists in many places and its track record in helping the masses of school children is terrible. In other words school choice is meaningless nothingness that doesn't help the vast majority of school children, and republicans who pretend to care about this issue know this.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
"school choice" exists in many places and its track record in helping the masses of school children is terrible. In other words school choice is meaningless nothingness that doesn't help the vast majority of school children, and republicans who pretend to care about this issue know this.
You acknowledge the government sucks at public education. Your solution is more government. Typical left wing brilliance.

School choice helps those that want to be helped. Democrats want the poor on their plantation addicted to their welfare state.

refineryworker05

You acknowledge the government sucks at public education. Your solution is more government. Typical left wing brilliance.

School choice helps those that want to be helped. Democrats want the poor on their plantation addicted to their welfare state.
Huh? this is all pretend nonsense. There are great public school systems in America. My suggestion is we allow all children to go to those public schools.

refineryworker05

I agree unfortunately Democrats are against school choice and block every attempt Republicans make at enacting it.
Wait what I want isn't school choice. you know that right? Neither republicans or many democrats support what I want. I want all children to be able to attend all the great public school systems near their homes, not this charter school nonsense or tax credits for private school, or some lottery where only a few children get to attend those schools etc, that's mostly what school choice is in America.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Wait what I want isn't school choice. you know that right? Neither republicans or many democrats support what I want. I want all children to be able to attend all the great public school systems near their homes, not this charter school nonsense or tax credits for private school, or some lottery where only a few children get to attend those schools etc, that's mostly what school choice is in America.
Hurr Durr all kids should just go to the best performing schools, just pack them in there, problem solved!

Freaking liberals are so divorced from reality.