Such a peaceful religion...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
so did google pay the govt for it? and what does that make google?

I believe, but I could be wrong, that the technology was released to the public. A lot of universities were involved in the development, so any royalties were paid to them.

Basically, it makes Google a technology company that earns its income from selling data, among other sources.

So what?

rickyb

I believe, but I could be wrong, that the technology was released to the public. A lot of universities were involved in the development, so any royalties were paid to them.

Basically, it makes Google a technology company that earns its income from selling data, among other sources.

So what?
the internet was given away for free by the govt which created it, and now a handful of tech companies control most of it.

rickyb

People choose to use their services.
actually my point was the internet was welfare for corporations.

i dont think ppl can be left to their own decisions to use these sites or not. they are also monopolies in many cases. but thats just off my head, i forgot what the EFF or ralph nader radio hour, etc have to say about it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I don't know what you're suggesting, and I don't think you do either.

The internet started under a government grant but it took off under private companies. Surely you don't want the government in charge of the internet?

rickyb

I don't know what you're suggesting, and I don't think you do either.

The internet started under a government grant but it took off under private companies. Surely you don't want the government in charge of the internet?
im not impressed with either.

and the private companies should pay a tax on the decades of research govt spent on making it.

floridays

i dont think ppl can be left to their own decisions to use these sites or not. they are also monopolies in many cases. but thats just off my head, i forgot what the EFF or ralph nader radio hour, etc have to say about it.
Your concept of liberty and freedom is inspiring. Who would decide for these ppl? I'll bet it is the government. What about it rickyb who decides, who is in charge?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
private companies should pay a tax on the decades of research govt spent on making it.
You've got it backwards. Theoretically, taxes paid for the grants that made the internet possible in the first place. Now those profitable companies pay taxes and maybe some of that money goes to a grant that helps create the next innovative technology.

We're lucky the government didn't try to hold onto the technology. The world would be a much darker and smaller place if they had.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Ricky, there is almost always never a lack of options with regards to the web, either.

Take google for example.
Don't like their search engine? Go to DuckDuckGo. Doesn't data mine.
Don't like Gmail? Use Protonmail. Encrypted, private email.

And the list goes on, and on.
Sometimes you have to pay for good services, because you don't understand the "contract" with the free ones.

Google only gives stuff away for "free", because in return, they can make money off of data mining. And that is actually pretty reasonable.

They shouldn't have to give it away for nothing. But nobody wants to pony up a monthly fee.

rickyb

You've got it backwards. Theoretically, taxes paid for the grants that made the internet possible in the first place. Now those profitable companies pay taxes and maybe some of that money goes to a grant that helps create the next innovative technology.

We're lucky the government didn't try to hold onto the technology. The world would be a much darker and smaller place if they had.
yea your right the govt could ruin the internet and theyre already doing that, but so are google, youtube, facebook, amazon.

but i stand by my assertion that we are getting screwed by tech companies and service providers for something that we spent decades creating.

im gonna check out ralph nader radio hour shows on the subject today.

rickyb

Ricky, there is almost always never a lack of options with regards to the web, either.

Take google for example.
Don't like their search engine? Go to DuckDuckGo. Doesn't data mine.
Don't like Gmail? Use Protonmail. Encrypted, private email.

And the list goes on, and on.
Sometimes you have to pay for good services, because you don't understand the "contract" with the free ones.

Google only gives stuff away for "free", because in return, they can make money off of data mining. And that is actually pretty reasonable.

They shouldn't have to give it away for nothing. But nobody wants to pony up a monthly fee.
they can do ads, but not data mine and sell our data.

i know this is hard to imagine when people have been heavily propagandized, but sometimes we have laws to protect people from the free market.

Last edited:

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I don't require protection, thanks.

If I feel google, or any other company is overly invasive, I'll just take my business elsewhere.
Even if it means paying for the privilege.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

If I feel google, or any other company is overly invasive, I'll just take my business elsewhere.
Wait one minute, Young Man. Are you saying take the initiative to solve your problem by yourself without interference or assistance from others and the government? That’s just crazy talk. How can you blame the government and capitalism then?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Wait one minute, Young Man. Are you saying take the initiative to solve your problem by yourself without interference or assistance from others and the government? That’s just crazy talk. How can you blame the government and capitalism then?

Well I guess I'm just full of bad ideas like that. ;)

rickyb

good luck with that.

i was listening to ralph talk about amazon and they have bookstore which arent called amazon but are owned by it.