Teamsters Union Faces Revolt From Members Over UPS Contracts

F

Frankie's Friend

UPS and union both thrive from employee turnover, and one benefit for both sides is low voter turnout
Only when the leadership is company friendly.

I wonder how much revenue from redundant initiation fees is accrued over a years time from the same part time jobs' revolving door?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

The Teamsters are a parasitic organization and therefore with no host, there would be no bloated salaries and perks. I think BUG pointed that out, too. UPS must remain profitable
That's a pretty dumb observation.

The Teamsters were voted in. That doesnt make them a parasite.

BiggieBrown

Another miss. A new employee pays less dues than a senior employee which doesn't reconcile with the dues hungry union you've alleged.
But I'm guessing they'd be willing to receive lower dues from your replacement...

It's much better for them to keep the part-time meat-grinder churning with constant turn over.
They get endless PHAT initiation fees, and thanks to the year wait for insurance they save big on benefits. Chew 'em up and spit 'em out.
Conventionally, the big downside to this strategy would be the constant money wasted on training.
But UPS figured out a perfect solution to this conundrum - don't train part-timers!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
It dont matter how many no votes the contract or supplements get now. They will just force them through and the union will keep providing sub standard leadership. The only thing that matter is the extra union dues the union gets.

stray

It dont matter how many no votes the contract or supplements get now. They will just force them through and the union will keep providing sub standard leadership. The only thing that matter is the extra union dues the union gets.

It's not over, yet...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's much better for them to keep the part-time meat-grinder churning with constant turn over.
They get endless PHAT initiation fees, and thanks to the year wait for insurance they save big on benefits. Chew 'em up and spit 'em out.
Conventionally, the big downside to this strategy would be the constant money wasted on training.
But UPS figured out a perfect solution to this conundrum - don't train part-timers!
It also ensures that most people won't care to vote, since they are short timers with nothing to lose or gain. I find it funny when union "leaders" blame the membership for voter turnout, all the while aligning with UPS's high rate of turnover and therefore apathy by design. Gotta drain the fly by nighters of those ridiculous fees though.

F

Frankie's Friend

One big difference is that the union takes your money to allow you to work while UPS pays you money to do that work.
Screenshot_20190205-212303_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20190205-212025_Google.jpg

We fight for what we believe in. The management chose their path and many said they would choose driving over where they are now.

There's a union at ups because the majority wants union representation and they will pay to keep it.

F

Frankie's Friend

I have to say that getting hired at ups was the ultimate baptism in union/management relations.

I soon realized that no matter what happened that the employee was wrong in management's eyes.

It creates hostility amongst the workforce. It turns John or Jane Doe into a defensive employee. The strife causes some to leave.

Not every situation is a cookie cutter event but the oppression is present always.

If the (eventual) benefits and pay werent above most of the comparable jobs many folks wouldn't come or stay.

There are some good management and union folks. I know some of them and would easily call them a friend.

But right now I would say that their generation is moving on to retirement or better jobs and we are left to deal with some people who are totally ignorant to the actual job content of making service on packages and retaining good customer relations.

I'm not concerned about FDX or Amazon or even the USPS taking our volume. I'm concerned about the ability and availability of service providers to maintain their great relationships with the folks that truly pay our wages.

Regardless of the labor struggle...

the longstanding relationship between the shippers, the consignees, and the drivers is what holds a ton of this volume in our system and the bean counters at the top better never forget it or they may regret it ten yrs from now when the churn becomes permanent.

RealPerson

Elected officers aren't babysitters.

Every Local had contract proposal meetings, contract review meetings, and

always.... regular membership meetings. People that blame the Union, are lazy

and have no-one to blame but themselves.

The 2/3's language has been in the IBT Constitution for 32 years.

Why has it not always been used, then? How many contracts in 32 years have we met the 2/3s???