Teamsters Union Faces Revolt From Members Over UPS Contracts

F

Frankie's Friend

Even in 2013, the Master was approved by membership vote.
-Bug-
Again, if the two regions that voted to pass it (who weren't replacing a superior healthcare plan with Teamcare) would've been subject to getting Teamcare themselves it would probably not have passed.

browndevil

“We are at a loss to understand the National Committees [sic] reasoning as to why they would implement such a substandard agreement for Western Pa.,” Bedillion wrote.

Teamsters Union Faces Revolt From Members Over UPS Contracts
Because the executive board can. Why hold the rest of the country hostage. The Union, which IS the membership, didn't give two :censored2:s about turning out to vote. Which shows the company we aren't united. Sooooooo, in 5 years participate in the process and everyone bring 5 other sisters and brothers

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Because the executive board can. Why hold the rest of the country hostage. The Union, which IS the membership, didn't give two :censored2:s about turning out to vote. Which shows the company we aren't united. Sooooooo, in 5 years participate in the process and everyone bring 5 other sisters and brothers

If only we were members of an organization whose purpose it was to facilitate collective bargaining and encourage involvement... oh, wait. But hey, if I gotta pull out the baseball bat to encourage voter turnout and member involvement, I'm game if you are.

Whose responsibility is it to get the members involved? Blaming involved members for the inaction of the uninvolved while giving a pass to the people who get paid to organize the labor force is beyond insulting. It's like getting punched in the groin, face and gut at the same time, then when you're curled up on the floor in pain, getting kicked repeatedly in the ribs, teeth and ass.

If we are to assume that our elected representatives are putting in an honest effort, we are left with nothing but to believe that they simply are not good at what they do. In the case of UPS, they have allowed the company to outmaneuver them by letting them create a transient workforce which they use to take advantage of the Teamster's own constitution and use it against the members. It may be good to pad the old bank account with initiation fees, and bolster the pensions with money that will never be paid out to people who earned it. It also, however, creates distrust, which turns into apathy, which will kill the labor movement.

browned out

The rest of the country is not being held hostage.

The majority of the voting Teamsters voted NO.

So, holding this contract up is exactly what the membership intended to do in the 1st place.

bowhnterdon

BUG, do you have any info on the 82 Contract vote totals? The TDU article mentions it being forced. That was the year before I started , just curious..

browndevil

If only we were members of an organization whose purpose it was to facilitate collective bargaining and encourage involvement... oh, wait. But hey, if I gotta pull out the baseball bat to encourage voter turnout and member involvement, I'm game if you are.

Whose responsibility is it to get the members involved? Blaming involved members for the inaction of the uninvolved while giving a pass to the people who get paid to organize the labor force is beyond insulting. It's like getting punched in the groin, face and gut at the same time, then when you're curled up on the floor in pain, getting kicked repeatedly in the ribs, teeth and ass.

If we are to assume that our elected representatives are putting in an honest effort, we are left with nothing but to believe that they simply are not good at what they do. In the case of UPS, they have allowed the company to outmaneuver them by letting them create a transient workforce which they use to take advantage of the Teamster's own constitution and use it against the members. It may be good to pad the old bank account with initiation fees, and bolster the pensions with money that will never be paid out to people who earned it. It also, however, creates distrust, which turns into apathy, which will kill the labor movement.
It's everyone's responsibility. I was at all the proposal meetings. We got about 80 to show up out of 1700. Do you know about organizing? Do you support your elected officials that support Labor? Do you know we are the only unionized workforce in the industry? The customer ONLY wants their package delivered. I know, I know your customers love you. But do they love you enough to support you in a strike? I was walking the line in '97 and my long term memory hasn't left me yet. I'll accept this contract and move on. Oh, I'm also in the NorCal agreement which is the gold standard of supplements. Why, because we are surrounded by Labor friendly Legislators

browndevil

The rest of the country is not being held hostage.

The majority of the voting Teamsters voted NO.

So, holding this contract up is exactly what the membership intended to do in the 1st place.
Oh yeah? Try your search feature and "where's my retro check blah blah blah" The General Eboard will vote to pass this. Let's work to change the language in the Constitution

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's everyone's responsibility. I was at all the proposal meetings. We got about 80 to show up out of 1700. Do you know about organizing? Do you support your elected officials that support Labor? Do you know we are the only unionized workforce in the industry? The customer ONLY wants their package del..
DHL???? That's just an obvious example ...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It's everyone's responsibility. I was at all the proposal meetings. We got about 80 to show up out of 1700. Do you know about organizing? Do you support your elected officials that support Labor? Do you know we are the only unionized workforce in the industry? The customer ONLY wants their package delivered. I know, I know your customers love you. But do they love you enough to support you in a strike? I was walking the line in '97 and my long term memory hasn't left me yet. I'll accept this contract and move on. Oh, I'm also in the NorCal agreement which is the gold standard of supplements. Why, because we are surrounded by Labor friendly Legislators

Sure, it's everybody's responsibility. But, while I earn a living slinging cardboard 10 hours a day, there are people whose job it is to get the members involved. I talked to everyone in my building who I came into contact with, when time allowed, about the progress of negotiations, I answered every question I knew the answers to, I encouraged people to vote. There was zero concerted effort from my local, nor even a plan of action to get members to participate. I understand that the IBT had their information outlet, but I don't know that there was any action plan, or recommendations from IBT officials for the locals to follow to get participation.

In other words, as far as I can tell, there was no real orgainization of an organization whose sole purpose is to organize. To turn around and blame that on the members only makes it less likely for those of us who do participate to even care about continuing to stay involved. You can blame it on the uninvolved members, but to make real change, you must fix the problem of uninvolved members. To do that you must find and correct to causes of the problem. Involved members are not one of those causes.

trickpony1

... 'Some Very Fine People on Both Sides'

But the "very fine people" on the management side seem to be oppressed and threatened with their jobs by the "not so very fine people" on the management side.

"do you like your nice house?", "do you like your nice car(s)?, "do you like your wife not having to work" and "do you like sending your kids to nice, expensive universities?" are all subtle threats directed at the "some very fine people" in management.

F

Frankie's Friend

But the "very fine people" on the management side seem to be oppressed and threatened with their jobs by the "not so very fine people" on the management side.

"do you like your nice house?", "do you like your nice car(s)?, "do you like your wife not having to work" and "do you like sending your kids to nice, expensive universities?" are all subtle threats directed at the "some very fine people" in management.
Many of the very fine and good ones I know found other very fine and good jobs elsewhere.