the big october change

Ricochet1a

What many of those still in Express are starting to find out, is that the concept of a large non-union corporate employer granting lifetime, well-compensated employment, has come to an end. It isn't just Express, but virtually EVERY large corporation out there, that is changing the way it views its wage employees - primarily as a liability.

The last half of the 20th century was what I'd refer to as "the Golden Age of American Labor". It was a time where there was a "scarcity" of labor (jobs were there to be had at most times), corporations viewed their wage labor as assets rather than liabilities and wages were high and growing for most of this time period.

There are volumes that have been written as to why this era ended - but ended it did.

No longer can someone look towards a large corporation and believe that they have lifetime, financially competitive employment for as long as they want it. Those days are gone.

Just look at Ground, and you see how the "step-children" of FedEx are compensated. Fred just loves how those "un-employees" are under-compensated yet still get his volume delivered.

Why in the world would anyone that works for the "Express division" of FedEx think they are viewed any differently from the corporate CEO as far as "consideration" for compenation?

No longer are employees seen as indispensible by their employers - now they are viewed as merely a drain on corporate profitability, which are seen as sources as potential increases in profit - if their compensation can be reduced by any method imaginable

Like it or not, you are competiting with every unemployed person out there - and indirectly, with every individual that is here in the US illegally. The labor market is "flooded" with more individuals willing to sell their labor in exchange for a wage; than there are jobs to be filled - and that doesn't bode well for those trying to make a middle class living in a wage occupation.

The wage employees of Express trusted Fred and company to "take care of them" - and that trust was misplaced a long time ago. Most aren't willing to recognize that the promise was broken - since they would be placed into a position of either needing to take action to correct it, or realizing that they were "suckered" and having to deal with that fact each and every day they stay with Express. So most bury their head in the sand, thinking that all is really well and everything will turn out in the end.

Leave, organize or bendover....

Things aren't going to get better, they're only going to continue to get worse and worse. A majority of your fellow Couriers aren't willing to take the risk on organizing and trying to preserve something of what was, so there is nothing you can do as an individual should you choose to stay with Express. Some may choose to hang-on till they retire. But for the vast majority that do see what is going on - the only logical choice is to make an exit plan, work on realizing that plan - then get out when the time is right.

From the viewpoint of FedEx, they owe you NOTHING for what you did years ago. From their viewpoint, you were paid, given a benefit package and that was it - no obligation for future career growth existed. The "agreement" could (and did) change at any time - you were free to accept the "new agreement" or leave. Most still don't "get this" when it comes to Express - there are no guarantees whatsoever. The "agreement" is going to continue to change in the coming months and change for the worse. You will work less and less (as volume is shifted over to opcos whose labor cost is lower than Express'), your wage rate will remain stagnant and your benefit package will erode in value as the health insurance becomes less and less inclusive of all providers you may want to utilize.

You've all read how the shills get on here and ridicule you for thinking that you're getting a "raw deal". They got theirs, too damn bad you didn't get yours... Now don't start rocking the boat and putting at risk what they have.... (from their standpoint).

It is obvious why Fred has kept these people around (he could've dumped them if he really wanted) - they serve to destroy solidarity among the wage employees and ensure that they won't organize and bargain for something better. It is better (from the viewpoint of Express), to pay a few a slight premium, than potentially allow the majority to organize and get something better for themselves.

No one out there is going to come to your rescue and fix everything and make it right for you concerning your relationship with your employer; won't happen, stop thinking it will.YOU have to get motivated to either start trying like hell to get your co-workers to see what is happening and do something about it - or make a plan to get out and make a better career for yourself. The sooner you start making plans to get out, the better off you will be.

You need to start "rocking the boat" - either with your employer, or with yourself to get out of Express and into something better. Each day you put off doing one or the other, the closer you get to that day were you'll end up as a part-time employee, trying to figure out how you will provide for your familiy with a significant portion of your planned income gone.

DorkHead

I've been talking to a few Brown drivers lately and they seem to think that UPS is going to offer a crap contract based on the ascendance of FedEx Ground. "Boo-hoo, we can't afford to offer you a good contact".If Fred knows that a UPS strike is likely or even remotely possible, he could partially hedge his bet.

They always offer crap and We always ask for everything. Then we meet in the middle somewhere. Actually the stronger the competition, usually makes my bargaining position stronger but not always.

TUT

What many of those still in Express are starting to find out, is that the concept of a large non-union corporate employer granting lifetime, well-compensated employment, has come to an end. It isn't just Express, but virtually EVERY large corporation out there, that is changing the way it views its wage employees - primarily as a liability.

* I haven't even read further and I'm already liking the honesty and calling the times the way there are in this post. EVERY Company. Meaning you have to follow suit or you are left behind. Employees are a liability now. Via wage, via medical, via law suit. So that is what we are fighting for, to make the employee an asset again and not a liability and not on businesses terms.

I get Express wants to focus on Express, but you/we have to aim higher, because Express is being pulled by greater forces they cannot stop. So yes it goes up to government and to me only one side gives us any hope at creating or restoring rights to protect Americans, because an American is an American worker. I do not know how you run a country with so much outsourcing and selling out. That to me this is a country with a For Sale sign on it (name me another country like that of size?) and I don't recall the majority of Americans ever "ok-ing" this. So some force on their own decided to take action and I believe that source is the power of big business, they need to be regulated by a gov't just like the rest of us.

I would love to live in a world that doesn't need gov't, that an owner can be satisfied with just a handsome reward and not an obnoxious one (Forefathers warned us of this), where a speculative market dominates decisions it has no right to, where we all get along and get a fair living wage, things like being able to raise college graduates without massive debt, be able to afford a nice mind relaxing vacation once per year and all of that. Why? Because we can if we didn't want to be so selfish. "He who dies with the most toys" are poison, there is no compassion in it, just greed.

But we can't wait on that ideal and give everything else up along the way. We could even be getting close to not being able to get it back without bloodshed (simply reviewing history) and that is sad panda stuff.

* As for the "broken promises stuff", I believe your Fedex again gets squeezed in having to be a follower. It's one of the reasons why I do not like Wall Street, if you took it out of the equation you now have something like 500 million in profit per quarter, that could be used on making a better working life for everyone in the company. BUT NO, that 500 million is to entice people to buy stock so it goes up and thus people outside the company (as if we should give 2 cents about them) make money and those at the top. That is why it looks so unfair, because the Wall Street promise or how it works to me has no business with mature companies, its reason for being should be to get new companies the capital if one chooses to invest in it off the ground. I don't think you fix any of this without making new Wall Street rules and that would be tricky.

* I also agree with the cold reality of this, even in good times... "You are given a salary/wage and when you are paid in full, you and the employer are square. No whining. No further expectations." Now it's up to you to be the good employee to be a person they want to continue to compensate for as long as one can see. Now would it suck being let go? Sure, but if you are let go because you are not a good employee, see mirror. If you are let go because of tough times, we all know this can happen and we have all seen major industries die all around us, so we know we aren't invulnerable. Assuming anything more then that is what Disney is for. The world is still competitive to a point.

* As for "Fred keeps shills around to break solidarity", I don't buy into that one. I think that is human nature, you hire 100,000 people, hell hire a hundred and you just built a little political eco-system in your company with varying views that break solidarity all on its own, no owner intervention needed at all. That's the part of respecting the one thing we all agree upon "Everyone is different", now respect that and you find all your answers.

* Another way to rock the boat is being a political activist at some level, that is the part that can trickle down to any and all companies. You are totally given an equal right to have a voice in that arena if you are passionate enough to follow through. As for the Express Employee that feels trapped, as stated it's simple. Deal with it (most will because it's still the path or least resistance), organize (gamble on winning something back or losing your job) or plan outside of Fedex, believe me Fedex isn't the world.

Personally I would take a step back and think... Is being a person that moves boxes from A to B a plan where one should think of that as a career? 20-65. I do believe it is an important job for certain that could very well be compensated nice enough. But who at 14 years old says "When I grow up I want to move boxes?". Who raises children with the hopes they want them to move boxes from A to B for their lives work? What I'm getting at is you sold yourself a bit short on your dreams at some point. Use your current job as a springboard to another career.

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah, switch all of that air to ground. Late Wednesday night on the interstate, going in the opposite direction, a Fed-Ex ground tractor with a set of doubles, was in the hammer lane. He caught my attention because he had all of his driver side wheels off the pavement. He swung his rig violently back to the right, and I could have swore that back trailer was going to roll over in the grass separating the different sides of the interstate. It scared that crap out of me, because he was heading in my direction and I had that sickening feeling that I was going to see something real bad. But he saved it.

Now, this isn't to pick on Fed/Ex ground. But man, he was flying down the road. I know plenty of feeder drivers who hammer down too. I don't know if the blue and green was falling asleep or texting, but what I do know is that he wasn't watching the road. He was fortunate to escape with his and his sleeper partner's lives. This is what happens when pressure is applied to go, go, go.

Take note, people.

vantexan

The problem is that we aren't going to organize, and if we leave we are having to start over with another company that views us the same way. It's about if you have a job better hang on to it even if you are having to bend over. If you are young enough go to school at night or online and get a degree in something actually needed that pays. But don't give up the day job until you do. But us older guys for the most part have to take it.

Goldilocks

The problem is that we aren't going to organize, and if we leave we are having to start over with another company that views us the same way. It's about if you have a job better hang on to it even if you are having to bend over. If you are young enough go to school at night or online and get a degree in something actually needed that pays. But don't give up the day job until you do. But us older guys for the most part have to take it.

Maybe we can get our insurance license and start selling supplemental health insurance.

TUT

Right. First better yourself, then you won't have to be slave to a situation. Second, the only way it can change is with some type of regulation, there is just no other way to assume people will give you more then they have to/want to. So to me there is one party choice right now and that doesn't mean you will even get it then, but there is a really really small chance choosing the other side of getting any more rights. They are looking at you as thee major cost now to the point they will give communistic sons and daughters in another country, 1/2 way around the globe jobs before you. There is no sin that will sit idle when a big company is needing money. There is no regulation that will stop a big company fighting for survival. They will break laws, they will never admit guilt, to them the company is more important then anything, anything. Now this isn't Fedex today, but what we have seen from major companies going down, there is really nothing they won't do.

vantexan

Right. First better yourself, then you won't have to be slave to a situation. Second, the only way it can change is with some type of regulation, there is just no other way to assume people will give you more then they have to/want to. So to me there is one party choice right now and that doesn't mean you will even get it then, but there is a really really small chance choosing the other side of getting any more rights. They are looking at you as thee major cost now to the point they will give communistic sons and daughters in another country, 1/2 way around the globe jobs before you. There is no sin that will sit idle when a big company is needing money. There is no regulation that will stop a big company fighting for survival. They will break laws, they will never admit guilt, to them the company is more important then anything, anything. Now this isn't Fedex today, but what we have seen from major companies going down, there is really nothing they won't do.

I fully expected Social Security at 62 but now that the debt has greatly increased, with plans to increase it even much more, I have serious doubts. I'll take my chances with those I believe will be more fiscally responsible. Obama had every opportunity when he came in to say that we are in a serious financial crisis(which he did) and must protect those programs designed to insure that our seniors, after a lifetime of hard work, are protected from poverty(which he didn't). And spent 5 trillion with little to show for it. You guys would rather run the country into the ground rather than ever admit Obama and company were fiscally irresponsible. I sincerely hope the majority of voters aren't the same way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, switch all of that air to ground. Late Wednesday night on the interstate, going in the opposite direction, a Fed-Ex ground tractor with a set of doubles, was in the hammer lane. He caught my attention because he had all of his driver side wheels off the pavement. He swung his rig violently back to the right, and I could have swore that back trailer was going to roll over in the grass separating the different sides of the interstate. It scared that crap out of me, because he was heading in my direction and I had that sickening feeling that I was going to see something real bad. But he saved it.

Now, this isn't to pick on Fed/Ex ground. But man, he was flying down the road. I know plenty of feeder drivers who hammer down too. I don't know if the blue and green was falling asleep or texting, but what I do know is that he wasn't watching the road. He was fortunate to escape with his and his sleeper partner's lives. This is what happens when pressure is applied to go, go, go.

Take note, people.

He might have got a flip-flop stuck on the gas pedal, or maybe his bag of Cheetos fell on the floor. I see Ground semis all the time rocketing along at about 70, with the joints doing the wiggle, just barely in control. The ones that come to our local ramp are almost universally grubby, with marginal equipment. They don't seem particularly professional.

TUT

I fully expected Social Security at 62 but now that the debt has greatly increased, with plans to increase it even much more, I have serious doubts. I'll take my chances with those I believe will be more fiscally responsible. Obama had every opportunity when he came in to say that we are in a serious financial crisis(which he did) and must protect those programs designed to insure that our seniors, after a lifetime of hard work, are protected from poverty(which he didn't). And spent 5 trillion with little to show for it. You guys would rather run the country into the ground rather than ever admit Obama and company were fiscally irresponsible. I sincerely hope the majority of voters aren't the same way.

Ah social security is funding to around 2034 right now. Historically there have always been an expiration (like the mayan calendar) but well before it expires, like decade or more before, it gets extended. If we keep talking our selves out of SS not being there, then it could be self fulfilled. But we should assume, demand and then worry about it when it's not continued and the clock is ticking down low. Now one thing I have to say is if it were scrapped, I do expect every last cent I ever put into it, in a lump sum check. I will revolt over that otherwise. That would be stealing plain and simple to me. SS is not a pension.

I am expecting SS 65-67 retirement age.

As for the trillions, that's a product of all kinds of issues on both sides, grid lock is not helping it one ounce.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
He might have got a flip-flop stuck on the gas pedal, or maybe his bag of Cheetos fell on the floor. I see Ground semis all the time rocketing along at about 70, with the joints doing the wiggle, just barely in control. The ones that come to our local ramp are almost universally grubby, with marginal equipment. They don't seem particularly professional.

Maybe, but with this big of equipment, one mistake can cost lives. At UPS, management bitches and moans at us to go faster, faster, faster. I stay at 62-63MPH. I don't run my cruise control at night or during rain or snow. Fed Ex ground isn't the only drivers who go hammer down. Like I said, many of our drivers do the same thing. We try talking to them, but you can guess how effective that is. Your drivers are contractors, aren't they? that would explain bad equipment and fast driving.

Ricochet1a

* As for "Fred keeps shills around to break solidarity", I don't buy into that one. I think that is human nature, you hire 100,000 people, hell hire a hundred and you just built a little political eco-system in your company with varying views that break solidarity all on its own, no owner intervention needed at all. That's the part of respecting the one thing we all agree upon "Everyone is different", now respect that and you find all your answers.

The keeping on the Couriers who are topped out (when Express obviously just loves all those new hires making two-thirds as much while doing the same or MORE work), is deliberate. I've called it "chasing the dragon" in the past. It keeps all those who are deluded into thinking that one day they'll "eventually catch the dragon", along for the game of topouts being gradually stretched out till there is no longer a top out. Most Couriers don't have the mathematical acumen to figure out exactly how long it would take to top out - since Express OBVIOUSLY didn't provide any info regarding this. Even today, you ask the typical Courier "How long will it take you to top out", and you'll get either confusion or an answer based more in wishful thinking rather than reality - just the way Express wants it.

Those that were topped out provided enough incentive for those who weren't to stay around - while simultaneously (and by design) provided the ANTI-uhionization force within Express to keep any real solidarity from developing against Fred and company.

The trend started at the same time Federal Express morphed into FedEx with its different "tenticles" of separate operating companies. Fred had the acumen to bring about change slowly enough so that the majority of his "box movers" wouldn't realize what was happening until it was way too late. it is now way too late for those box movers who thought that they could make a career of moving Fred's boxes without an employment contract.

Personally I would take a step back and think... Is being a person that moves boxes from A to B a plan where one should think of that as a career? 20-65.

That is PRECISELY what Fred and company have advertised to their Express employees. The delusion that Express is still a "career" is present within Express. I seriously doubt that will be the case a year from now, but up till the present moment, Express still presents itself to its employees as a "career" employer.

But who at 14 years old says "When I grow up I want to move boxes?". Who raises children with the hopes they want them to move boxes from A to B for their lives work?

Should those that move Fred's boxes hold their head in shame - since they didn't envision or dream of moving boxes in order to make a living? There are plenty of jobs that people don't "aspire to", they merely end up doing those jobs since the compensation is adequate and their personal skill set precludes doing anything else. Its called "chasing the American dream", and up until a decade ago or so, it included most all Americans. Not any more.

What I'm getting at is you sold yourself a bit short on your dreams at some point. Use your current job as a springboard to another career.

Just because someone may have "sold themselves a bit short on their dreams at some point", doesn't mean that they deserve to be manipulated by their employer and deceived as to what the future plans of the employer entail. Yes, you are correct in that one should use Express as a "springboard to another career" - I did just that (only after I found out what a raw deal Express really was).