The Big Reveal

SmithBarney

The problem of finding people willing to work was a 2021 problem. That does not exist anymore at ramp or station level.
Oh it exists, our Ramp is short 95 positions and the last hiring event had less than 50 applicants.(less than half were hire-able)
Our station is short 20 positions(make that 22 we had two resign last week) and had 10 applicants...
At least with response coming to an end, we will be able to hopefully pull some of the displaced response drivers.
ESTAR was joke for the month we ran it, they've made some tweaks... we'll see in Feb when it fires back up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And while you're at be sure to ask Dano about the decision to hire Baghdad Bob to be the new Fedex public information officer.
It's hard to spin a dead cat, but that won't stop them from trying. Typical FedEx "solution". Cover the turd instead of dealing with the root issues. It all comes down to not wanting to pay people (except pilots and upper management, of course).

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
ESTAR was joke for the month we ran it, they've made some tweaks... we'll see in Feb when it fires back up.
So they’ve made some tweaks? Big deal, it’s like trying to paint the concrete canoe a different color.

Now come February we’ll watch it sink again.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I was told by management that the engineers where given a long list of things that needed fixed with e-star.
Therein lies the problem. Have you ever discussed anything with one of FedEx's "engineers"?

Unless they are contracted software engineers working on the problem. The problem with that is the low-bid competence of the low bidders.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Therein lies the problem. Have you ever discussed anything with one of FedEx's "engineers"?

Unless they are contracted software engineers working on the problem. The problem with that is the low-bid competence of the low bidders.
Great point. FedEx "engineers" usually are not engineers at all, in either thought processes or training. Various "engineers" I've known at FedEx were former UPS managers with no degree, people who came from outside the company AND the industry, and others whose background was unknown, but definitely not trained as a true engineer.

One of my favorites was a guy who came from AT&T who didn't even know how the FedEx overnight system functioned. Yet, there he was, an "engineer' making all sorts of decisions about sorts and various processes.. IDK if they're still bringing in outside "talent", but given the current state of affairs, I wouldn't doubt it.

Tech support has always been a weak link at FedEx. It's easier to drive around in the unmarked van stopping for coffee than to solve anyone's problems.

This country will grind to a halt when UPS is on strike at the same time Express is struggling with Estar and Ground network implodes from a lack of slave labor, accounts getting gutted and profitability dwindling. You love to see it.

Some went as far as suggesting FedEx actually pay living, competitive wages, and to correct the obvious operational boondoggles that were festering due to long-term disorganization,poor business practices, and a failure to adequately service customers. Bravo!!
As Dano would say: "huge if true". How can these people who aren't Fedex executives possibly comprehend what it takes to run the company? /s

Nolimitz

You sure about that?
How do concrete boats float?

The object is said to be "buoyant" when it floats due to low density. By spreading out the concrete used to make the boat over a larger volume, the apparent density of the boat becomes less than that of water. Hence the boat floats!

AB831

This country will grind to a halt when UPS is on strike at the same time Express is struggling with Estar and Ground network implodes from a lack of slave labor, accounts getting gutted and profitability dwindling. You love to see it.
Looks like Fat Freddy will be heading to Lowe’s to buy some tarps. I’m sure there will be some Front Line videos this summer where the company will over-promise its capabilities during the event of a UPS strike . I bet the hour break “legal requirement” will magically disappear then too.

AB831

Great point. FedEx "engineers" usually are not engineers at all, in either thought processes or training. Various "engineers" I've known at FedEx were former UPS managers with no degree, people who came from outside the company AND the industry, and others whose background was unknown, but definitely not trained as a true engineer.

One of my favorites was a guy who came from AT&T who didn't even know how the FedEx overnight system functioned. Yet, there he was, an "engineer' making all sorts of decisions about sorts and various processes.. IDK if they're still bringing in outside "talent", but given the current state of affairs, I wouldn't doubt it.

Tech support has always been a weak link at FedEx. It's easier to drive around in the unmarked van stopping for coffee than to solve anyone's problems.
Yup. The “engineer” at my station had no engineering degree or anything that would actually qualify one to work as an engineer. DRA would always blow out the last route on the loop. 709, 708, 707, and 706 would get 50-60 stops each, and 704 would have 170. The managers would tell everyone to “figure out” how to split it up which would lead to daily bickering and arguing on the sort. After a year of pleading with the “engineer” to fix this, he finally does and it created five additional routes with 20-30 stops each with no one to run them. Just mind-blowing incompetence every single day.

bbsam

Staff member
I do know of two senior managers of a perennially terrible terminal who moved on to engineering after a couple years of not fixing the disaster.